Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:00 AM   #6741
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sad part is that the Oilers really did seem like they were trying. Just stay down already.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #6742
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

In a perfect world the Oilers get another slap by the Hurricanes on the back-to-back, and then the Blues blow by them in the standings the next night. It's just how it should develop.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #6743
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 01-20-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #6744
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
In a perfect world the Oilers get another slap by the Hurricanes on the back-to-back, and then the Blues blow by them in the standings the next night. It's just how it should develop.
In a perfect world the Oilers trade their first round pick then never win another game this season.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #6745
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
In a perfect world the Oilers trade their first round pick then never win another game this season.
Here's hoping for all of it!
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #6746
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

Lost to Calgary 2-5, playoff odds down 12.3 to 23.1%
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #6747
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

Lost to Calgary 2-5, playoff odds down 12.3 to 23.1%

The biggest take from that is that 89 points gives them a 53.9% chance of making the playoffs.

In the West, 5 of the 6 seeded teams are delivering top class hockey whilst the rest are all potential cellar dwellers.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 AM   #6748
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think the western teams pick it up... 89 is the projected currently, but i think teams are coming around and 94 will be the threshold to get the last WC spot
Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #6749
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I went to the HFOIl forum this morning to read up on their message of defiance and rage and we were robbed by the NHL, and MT is the dirtiest player in the game.

Instead besides a few clearly driven insane fans talking about a big run. It was almost sad. Surrender, apathy, disillusionment, It was sad, almost like that movie where a biker gang roars through town and when they leave the towns folk sadly start fixing things knowing that the same thing is going to happen next year and there is no hero coming to save them.

It actually ruined my good mood a bit, and I started to feel a bit bad for these Oiler fans. I mean we've all been there, The Flames haven't exactly been aspiring over the years and there's been plenty of apathy here right? I mean we should reach out to our friends in the Northland and hold their hands and look them in the eye and slowly nod our head while whispering, "It'll work out, I mean Chia can't completely destroy a franchise based around Connor, there's nothing that can't be fixed, and like a proud phoenix the Oilers will rise again someday and these days will just be a bad memory". I mean we're all citizen's on this spinning globe we call the earth, and its up to us as human beings to be good human beings. Think of the good karma that we as Calgarians could gain by helping Oiler fans to believe again.

And once they believe, we can then remind them that they're in cap trouble for the next several years, that they have next to no good prospects, their NHL depth is weak, and their team work ethic is sub par. On top of that Chia has been given the leeway he needs to try and save his job before the end of the year.

Then as we walk out of the room, we can laugh and remind them that Katz is still the owner, Lowe and Mac-T will never be fired as long as Katz is there and that their president has a terrible Hamburger that costs around $15.00.

Oh and their building is poorly designed and Hobo urine is eating away at the structure.

Oh and Connor's contract is like a metaphysical god like count down, and while its unlikely that he will have the patience to stick around for the whole contract, Oiler fans should be prepared for the fact that there are teams looking at the date of expiration and already planning on finding ways to sign him.

And just to give them hope, remind them that the Eskimos are likely to lose Reilly and Jason Maas is going to be their coach next year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #6750
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
The biggest take from that is that 89 points gives them a 53.9% chance of making the playoffs.

In the West, 5 of the 6 seeded teams are delivering top class hockey whilst the rest are all potential cellar dwellers.

I have my absolute doubts that 89 points will be close to enough to get into the playoffs.

Also we need to remember that there are now 2 teams between the Oilers and a Wildcard spot.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #6751
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The surefire cure for the Oiler fans woes is to remind them of the #OilersCellyChallenge

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/s...96240487862273
Old 01-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #6752
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The surefire cure for the Oiler fans woes is to remind them of the #OilersCellyChallenge

Wow beyond Cringe Worthy, you'd think that they'd find a better soundtrack them one created and performed by a convicted Pedophile who's currently rotting in prison for child rape. You know the soundtrack that has pretty much been banned everywhere else.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #6753
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I kind of wonder; with how hard his coaches have rode McIce-time, what will be left in that tank when he does leave?
Will he be like that rechargeable battery we all have that just doesn’t hold a change anymore
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #6754
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFlamesFan View Post
I kind of wonder; with how hard his coaches have rode McIce-time, what will be left in that tank when he does leave?
Will he be like that rechargeable battery we all have that just doesn’t hold a change anymore

I have this expectation that this over playing of the Connor is going to catch up on the Oilers this year.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #6755
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I looked on TV, but I didn't see much of this in the stands last night. Is it only when McDavid scores? Or maybe it's meant for the golf course?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #6756
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Dear god, that is incredibly cringe-worthy. The embarrassment just leaks right through the screen.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #6757
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part about all The Mcdavid love is he will always be second fiddle to Gretzky. Always.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #6758
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFlamesFan View Post
It would be more like this

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #6759
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
The best part about all The Mcdavid love is he will always be second fiddle to Gretzky. Always.
There's a couple posters on hfOil that dispute that, because Gretzky played against weaker goalies.

Of course, they ignore that Gretzky was miles ahead of other players until Mario came along. How far ahead is McDavid versus other players?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #6760
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

I don’t how to check this but I think the average ppg in the first half of the season amoungst the playoff contenders is lower than in the second half. Two reasons I can think of are an increase in 3 point games and tanking teams lose more after the trade deadline.

When we were a bubble team (the past tense is great) I remember at this point in the season the snake argument taking place with people saying that sub 90 points looks good this year and each year requiring more.

The assumptions around 3 point games on sportsclubstats aren’t quite right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread