Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #321
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The number that keeps coming back up for me is the polls of Trump supporters that ask "who could the Democrats nominate that would make you switch your vote from Trump to that candidate". The two candidates who consistently get over 10% in that metric are Bernie and Yang. I suspect that's why the "If nominee, then vs Trump" numbers are what they are... that's the whole ball game, right there. Flip 10% and get even passable base turnout (which you will regardless of nominee because they're voting against Trump), and it's probably over.

But then I remind myself of the history of incumbents never losing, and the democratic party's penchant for shooting itself in the foot, and that hope dissipates a bit. Maybe I'm just trying to insulate myself from disappointment.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 08-29-2019 at 01:09 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #322
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The number that keeps coming back up for me is the polls of Trump supporters that ask "who could the Democrats nominate that would make you switch your vote from Trump to that candidate". The two candidates who consistently get over 10% in that metric are Bernie and Yang. I suspect that's why the "If nominee, then vs Trump" numbers are what they are... that's the whole ball game, right there. Flip 10% and get even passable base turnout (which you will regardless of nominee because they're voting against Trump), and it's probably over.

But then I remind myself of the history of incumbents never losing and that hope dissipates a bit. Maybe I'm just trying to insulate myself from disappointment.
Flipping 10% would be rout by any measure.

Anyway, polling like that doesn't mean anything until a) the Dems get a candidate and b) there is a campaign.

I'm giving Trump very good odds. He's not as dumb as people think, he's been Teflon to every mini or mega scandal, and the Democrats are really not a great political party.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:12 PM   #323
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Warren as VP makes far more sense to me than Warren at the top of the ticket. I just think Biden is clearly out of it (he can't seem to remember what state he's in at times and has already suggested that the current pace of the primary race is too much for him). I also doubt he's going to win the nomination at the end of the day, because eventually one of Bernie or Warren will drop out, and neither candidate's supporters are likely to have Biden as their second choice.

The odds above seem to think that it'll be Bernie dropping out and his supporters going to Warren, I guess, but it could really go either way.
Because of this, both will likely stay in the race until the end.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #324
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Anyway, polling like that doesn't mean anything until a) the Dems get a candidate and b) there is a campaign.
I agree, though that goes both ways... a "who would you vote for if they were nominated" poll requires a bunch of things, beginning with whether the respondent even knows who the democratic primary nominees even are. No one's going to respond "I'd vote for Tim Ryan", because 99.5% of people being asked that question don't know who Tim Ryan is.
Quote:
I'm giving Trump very good odds. He's not as dumb as people think, he's been Teflon to every mini or mega scandal, and the Democrats are really not a great political party.
Which is why they need to stop trying to campaign on creating scandals for Trump. They don't work. Everyone who's going to be convinced that he's terrible already thinks he's terrible. You're not winning anyone new over with the 1000th story about Trump being terrible.

I mean, sure, continue to make sure those stories get out there, because "Trump is deporting children with cancer" is the sort of thing that energizes your base to vote to get rid of him. But "Trump is awful and we should strive to be better as a nation" can't be the centerpiece of the strategy. That will result in another loss.

Unfortunately, as we agree, the Democrats are pretty terrible at this, and many of them are basically treating the primaries as an audition for the role of "Who can attack Trump the hardest and best", as if the measure of the best nominee is who can generate the most "got 'im" cheers from an audience of die-hard supporters. So I feel like I have good reason for my pessimism.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #325
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
Because of this, both will likely stay in the race until the end.
What do you mean by "the end"? If you mean the convention, I doubt it, unless something very weird happens. If you mean Super Tuesday, that wouldn't be too surprising.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #326
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, though that goes both ways... a "who would you vote for if they were nominated" poll requires a bunch of things, beginning with whether the respondent even knows who the democratic primary nominees even are. No one's going to respond "I'd vote for Tim Ryan", because 99.5% of people being asked that question don't know who Tim Ryan is.

Which is why they need to stop trying to campaign on creating scandals for Trump. They don't work. Everyone who's going to be convinced that he's terrible already thinks he's terrible. You're not winning anyone new over with the 1000th story about Trump being terrible.

I mean, sure, continue to make sure those stories get out there, because "Trump is deporting children with cancer" is the sort of thing that energizes your base to vote to get rid of him. But "Trump is awful and we should strive to be better as a nation" can't be the centerpiece of the strategy. That will result in another loss.

Unfortunately, as we agree, the Democrats are pretty terrible at this, and many of them are basically treating the primaries as an audition for the role of "Who can attack Trump the hardest and best", as if the measure of the best nominee is who can generate the most "got 'im" cheers from an audience of die-hard supporters. So I feel like I have good reason for my pessimism.
Yup.

The best candidate will be the one who can credibly elide Trump's attacks and speak directly to voters. This is an extremely difficult challenge.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #327
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The best candidate will be the one who can credibly elide Trump's attacks and speak directly to voters. This is an extremely difficult challenge.
Hence why I like Yang.

I know, pipe dream, and I've generally been a UBI skeptic. For all I know, it'd wind up being the Democratic version of "build a wall", the election promise that's too difficult to implement and just never happens. But policy aside, his whole messaging is completely on point in terms of "how do you beat Trump".
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #328
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

^totally agree; wish he were Canadian tbh.

While some of his ideas may not be implementable, I certainly appreciate the refreshing approach he takes, to try and tackle the broken system that exists.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #329
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Counting on youth and minorities is how you lose elections.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #330
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yup.

This is where I think Yang, Buttigieg, and potentially Harris would excel.

On another train of though...if Sanders or Warren won the nomination, do they select each other as the VP candidate? It seems like the obvious choice from a policy perspective, but wouldn’t help their ‘broad appeal’ or being a substantially different perspective.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #331
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNN's climate change town hall tonight... five freaking hours of it. Here are the segments for the top candidates who have spoken thus far, plus Klobuchar. I assume Buttigieg is to come.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #332
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Biden will be on Colbert momentarily...
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 PM   #333
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Even in a debate about climate change it's about race and socio economics to the Democrats.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #334
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Even in a debate about climate change it's about race and socio economics to the Democrats.
That’s because the effects of climate change are distributed by socioeconomic status.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #335
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Yes but one cannot just argue it one way. It works the other way too. Green plans have socioeconomic impacts as well. Just ask Albertans.

Pretty much everything is distributed by socioeconomic status.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #336
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to be pretty extreme to have a shot with this potion of the base, though, so it's not a huge surprise that they're all tripping over themselves to be the most ambitious. Jay Inslee's goal is achieved.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #337
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1169673631892459523

Old 09-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #338
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:10 PM   #339
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, MSNBC has been deliberately omitting Yang from graphics for a while, leading to a "YangMediaBlackout" trend that in turn caused CNN to respond a couple of days ago. But this is just next level malfeasance.

So, there are ten candidates. Count to 9 and... who's missing? Why it's Yang.

Then an NBC senior producer lies outright, and tweets a false image.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1169819465095139328

You can even watch the segment here and see the name missing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/an...W3UW2e-HyQtqc0

(PS - while we're at it, notice anyone missing from the NBC Candidates page? https://www.nbcnews.com/2020candidates)

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 09-05-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #340
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

After looking into the responses, this is actually a long trend... and it's hilarious.

Spoiler!