Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2024, 09:46 AM   #961
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The post 2022 Models have heat pumps which help quite a bit but heat pump efficiency drops off dramatically after -15 or -20 degrees.

The Teslas also have scheduled departure so if I'm at a restaurant or something, I'll estimate when I'll be leaving and the car will slowly warm up the cabin, defrost, condition the battery etc. to be ready to go when I'm ready to go. That consumes energy as well. Its not necessary but it's for comfort.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:35 AM   #962
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't think it would max out. As temps drop, the battery needs to be heated more, requiring more energy. Same with cabin heat. You are just using more % of your battery for heat generation vs movement.
Yeah, I get that. Half range makes sense for let's say -10 to -20. But I'm curious to know if it could dip even below that (ie: 1/3 range) if we're dealing with -30C or -40C or if it'd still be half range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The post 2022 Models have heat pumps which help quite a bit but heat pump efficiency drops off dramatically after -15 or -20 degrees.

The Teslas also have scheduled departure so if I'm at a restaurant or something, I'll estimate when I'll be leaving and the car will slowly warm up the cabin, defrost, condition the battery etc. to be ready to go when I'm ready to go. That consumes energy as well. Its not necessary but it's for comfort.
Fair, but that's like auto car starter in a car. You know you're basically "idling" your car to be comfortable and that uses up "range" but it's a little different than how far you can drive from 100% to 10% if all other factors are unchanged.

I'm more curious to know if a Tesla owner typically drove 400 km per max charge, could it dip down to only 125-150km per max charge due to the energy required to heat when it's -30 or -40C vs anecdotally around 200-225 km per max charge estimates if it was closer to -10 to -20C.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 11:00 AM   #963
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I'm more curious to know if a Tesla owner typically drove 400 km per max charge, could it dip down to only 125-150km per max charge due to the energy required to heat when it's -30 or -40C vs anecdotally around 200-225 km per max charge estimates if it was closer to -10 to -20C.
You are aren't far off. I'd say half the range at -40.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #964
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Cybertruck inventory will be limited for a very long time.
Thank god. Maybe people will come to their senses by the time they are widely available.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:24 AM   #965
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Half the range in cold weather is bonkers. Not sure why anyone who lives in cold weather climate would go for that when you can buy a hybrid or fuel efficient vehicle where that isn't any issue.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 09:50 AM   #966
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Half the range in cold weather is bonkers. Not sure why anyone who lives in cold weather climate would go for that when you can buy a hybrid or fuel efficient vehicle where that isn't any issue.
I still feel much more secure, safe, and reliable in the EV everday than my Diesel which has belts, fluids, glow plugs, valves, pumps, turbo inlets, oils, etc. that could (and have) all gone wrong in the winter. Most of my co-workers have had cold weather issues with their regular cars in the past 2 weeks and I feel like I'm in a space ship where everything works - i just have less range. That's no problem since I'm only commuting to work and not trying to drive to Banff.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:41 AM   #967
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

But that is short distance stuff, or a trip where you know you've planned out having only half the range & needing a charger.

I get the point about the EV having less issue otherwise, but on a mass scale we can't have EVs for everyone, where all of a sudden millions of people get literally 50% range during the winter. Think about the added strain to the electrical system and how we'd have to plan to handle that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 01:45 PM   #968
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
But that is short distance stuff, or a trip where you know you've planned out having only half the range & needing a charger.

I get the point about the EV having less issue otherwise, but on a mass scale we can't have EVs for everyone, where all of a sudden millions of people get literally 50% range during the winter. Think about the added strain to the electrical system and how we'd have to plan to handle that.
If the federal government keeps pushing for EV adoption by the 2030s, they need to push for increased nuclear adoption across the country. That's the only way I see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 03:10 PM   #969
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
If you have a vehicle where you're driving 30km to and from work then plug it back in at home for 90% of its use, it makes a lot of sense regardless of the range reduction.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 05:12 PM   #970
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There will not be some super strain on the electrical system. That's been discussed ad nauseum and it's not a concern to any grid planner

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748206325275017413
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #971
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the federal government keeps pushing for EV adoption by the 2030s, they need to push for increased nuclear adoption across the country. That's the only way I see.
100% EVs would increase the total electricity demand by approximately 10%. And EV charging demand is perhaps the most flexible demand we have
Old 01-20-2024, 03:01 PM   #972
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
100% EVs would increase the total electricity demand by approximately 10%. And EV charging demand is perhaps the most flexible demand we have

Where does this 10% number come from.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 03:38 PM   #973
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Where does this 10% number come from.

https://www.ey.com/en_ca/news/2019/1...e-road-by-2030

Quote:
Rapid adoption could also cause an 11% spike in Canadian electricity demand, requiring utilities to make significant investments in existing grid infrastructure to allow consumers to charge cars at home and in public spaces. Distribution network upgrades would also be required to improve power transmission across the country, including to rural areas.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1748206327128838212

1 million EVs would increase Alberta's total consumption by 3.5%
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2024, 04:55 PM   #974
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Peak load is what matters. If everyone charged from 10-4 in the morning it would have almost no affect. If people charge in peak hours it is much greater. Total consumption doesn’t really matter as the change in demand.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:42 PM   #975
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Peak load is what matters. If everyone charged from 10-4 in the morning it would have almost no affect. If people charge in peak hours it is much greater. Total consumption doesn’t really matter as the change in demand.
Yes and no. Firstly, everyone will not charge their cars at the same time. There's lots of data already and that will not be the case. Secondly, it's literally the most flexible demand we have. Research shows even a small incentive gets big results for moving charging to off peak

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748206332308844842

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748206333617414561
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 10:52 AM   #976
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

When making the comparison, we should remember that Gas/diesel vehicles also suffer some range loss in bitter cold (15 - 30%).
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 11:00 AM   #977
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
When making the comparison, we should remember that Gas/diesel vehicles also suffer some range loss in bitter cold (15 - 30%).
Sure, but when people by EV's one of the key numbers they look at is range. It's very important. So when it's 30-50% less than that, it does matter because a "fill" in cold weather also takes a long time. How many people look up the range of a gas vehicle before buying? Very few, because a fill is 5 minutes.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 11:03 AM   #978
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
If you have a vehicle where you're driving 30km to and from work then plug it back in at home for 90% of its use, it makes a lot of sense regardless of the range reduction.
Well for that scenario I'd prefer a PHEV. 30km is easily covered by the small battery range and you have an ICE for longer trips. Best of both worlds.

That said, we're a 1 car household. If we were a 2 car household I could see how an EV would work as one of our cars.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 09:38 PM   #979
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Well for that scenario I'd prefer a PHEV. 30km is easily covered by the small battery range and you have an ICE for longer trips. Best of both worlds.

That said, we're a 1 car household. If we were a 2 car household I could see how an EV would work as one of our cars.
I have a PHEV. While you have the convenience of both worlds, you trade that for a worse gas and electric engine. You now have maintenance and reliability concerns for both drivetrains plus the interchange. I'm still happy at the moment with mine, but the next vehicle is BEV without a doubt
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 09:21 AM   #980
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes and no. Firstly, everyone will not charge their cars at the same time. There's lots of data already and that will not be the case. Secondly, it's literally the most flexible demand we have. Research shows even a small incentive gets big results for moving charging to off peak

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748206332308844842

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748206333617414561
We literally just had a warning about lowering electricity usage during a cold snap and one of the suggestions was to tell people to stop plugging in block warmers and other things. It's not unreasonable to say adding a million EVs rapidly could strain the existing power grid system. But by the time we add that many EVs, I assume we would have also upgraded the power grid system a bit as well.

But the truth is probably in the middle. By the time we adopt 1 million EVs, I assume we would have also spent the time to upgrade the grid to be able to handle the addition of 1 million EVs. Both side IMO are too extreme. I don't believe that it's unreasonable to believe that at certain points during an Alberta cold snap, more than half to 3/4+ EVs are all simultaneously plugged in to deal with the reduced range and warming required for EVs during that cold snap causing significant peak spikes. But I also believe that the grid could be upgraded to handle those peak spikes a bit better by the time we add those 1 million EVs in about 6 years.

I don't think it's also unreasonable to assume that during a cold snap, 70-80% of those additional 1 million EVs are always plugged in to address lowered range etc. during an Alberta cold snap. But again, I'd assume the grid could be upgraded to handle that.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote