Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Tiger drops caddie after 12 years!

Didn't see a thread on this yet. Looks like Tiger is going for a fresh start, new caddie, new swing coach!

http://tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=372123
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This should probably go in the Other Sports forum.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, his caddie caused all of his problems.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
Yeah, his caddie caused all of his problems.
Or his Caddie asked for his release.... Fan960 had an update that said Tiger's Caddie worked the last 2 Majors (can't remember the golfer's name).,

Wonder if Woods is done.... ???
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Or his Caddie asked for his release.... Fan960 had an update that said Tiger's Caddie worked the last 2 Majors (can't remember the golfer's name).,

Nope....Steve said it came as a complete surprise. (And Williams had been on Adam Scotts bag recently)

This, IMO, is Tiger letting go the last fixture of his previous manslut/######bag life and focussing on starting all over in every aspect of his golf career that he can. As mentioned, new swing coach, new caddie, and probably a new attitude when he is healthy once again.

I still believe he will regain his game at some point and dominate once again. Not like he did previously as there are far to many good players right now for that to happen, but enough he takes a run at Jack's major record and very likely the all time tournament win record as well when all is said and done.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Nope....Steve said it came as a complete surprise. (And Williams had been on Adam Scotts bag recently)

This, IMO, is Tiger letting go the last fixture of his previous manslut/######bag life and focussing on starting all over in every aspect of his golf career that he can. As mentioned, new swing coach, new caddie, and probably a new attitude when he is healthy once again.

I still believe he will regain his game at some point and dominate once again. Not like he did previously as there are far to many good players right now for that to happen, but enough he takes a run at Jack's major record and very likely the all time tournament win record as well when all is said and done.
While probably true, if I were him I'd go back to it. Why not? Rich, famous and single, enjoy it. Obviously the sponsors etc. are an issue, but he played his best golf while living that lifestyle. Time to get back to putting it in the hole, both on and off the course.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Didn't see a thread on this yet. Looks like Tiger is going for a fresh start, new caddie, new swing coach!
I really don't think Tiger needs a new swing coach, he's mastered that on his own.

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tiger reminds me of Mike Tyson in a lot of ways.

Tyson was the unbeatable beast, he could beat people before the bell even rang and was unbeatable after the bell rang. He was probably the best pure puncher that boxing has ever seen, and he did it on instinct he's a natural.

Tiger Woods is a natural at golf.

With Tyson, when things started to fall apart he lost his focus in the ring, he lost to a pudgy James Buster Douglas, and he was never the same, he got used by his managers, he committed crimes, in the ring he became laugible, and even though he was still in his boxing prime years, he wasn't the same boxer, he didn't fight like a natural anymore and he over compensated.

Same as Tiger, Tiger is a shadow of himself, sure he's capable of flashes ofhis old tiger, but he's not a natural anymore.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Hilch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Woods is far from done and will probably win a number of championships to cap off his career. He is only 36 years old and lucky for him golf is not football and players can still win going into their 40's.

Woods fired him for what seems to be to clean the slate. I don't think he blames anyone but himself, although I would argue the crazies who actually care what famous people do with their lives could be blamed as well, and he is just trying to get a fresh start with his life and professional career.

It was also rumored that Steve Williams had asked to caddie for Adam Scott at The Open and at first Tiger's group agreed to him doing it but after some thought I guess they changed their mind and Williams went ahead and did it anyways. He has nothing to be upset about and you could tell by his press release that he actually was and he should rethink his stance on the situation because he is being foolish. Williams is free to do what he wants but at the same time his employer who has paid him $8,000,000+ (and who knows what else he has gotten out of being Tiger's caddie) in his 12 years with Tiger while the average caddie on the PGA tour is making closer to $100,000 a year and even the average golf fanatic probably can't name more than 3 caddies outside of Williams.

If Tiger is looking for a new caddie I'd be more than happy to get paid $750,000 a year to scream at fans and photographers, mark a yardage book and carry around a 40lb bag. Sign me up!!!
Hilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. Steve Williams is not happy. For him to release a statement highlighting how he's stuck with Tiger throughout his personal problems and say the end of the relationship comes as a shock.... Says a lot about where Tiger's at in his life.

I doubt Woods ever wins a championship again.... But wouldn't bet against a guy with that much pure skill.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilch View Post
Woods is far from done and will probably win a number of championships to cap off his career. He is only 36 years old and lucky for him golf is not football and players can still win going into their 40's.

Woods fired him for what seems to be to clean the slate. I don't think he blames anyone but himself, although I would argue the crazies who actually care what famous people do with their lives could be blamed as well, and he is just trying to get a fresh start with his life and professional career.

It was also rumored that Steve Williams had asked to caddie for Adam Scott at The Open and at first Tiger's group agreed to him doing it but after some thought I guess they changed their mind and Williams went ahead and did it anyways. He has nothing to be upset about and you could tell by his press release that he actually was and he should rethink his stance on the situation because he is being foolish. Williams is free to do what he wants but at the same time his employer who has paid him $8,000,000+ (and who knows what else he has gotten out of being Tiger's caddie) in his 12 years with Tiger while the average caddie on the PGA tour is making closer to $100,000 a year and even the average golf fanatic probably can't name more than 3 caddies outside of Williams.

If Tiger is looking for a new caddie I'd be more than happy to get paid $750,000 a year to scream at fans and photographers, mark a yardage book and carry around a 40lb bag. Sign me up!!!
Sloppy seconds?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilch View Post

If you look at the history, golfer start to decline when they approach 40 years old. Its no surprise Woods is now starting to face injuries.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
Hilch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you look at the history, golfer start to decline when they approach 40 years old. Its no surprise Woods is now starting to face injuries.
Correct. However a 40+ year old winning a championship is not unheard of. Going off the top of my head I think the number is around twenty-five 40+ year olds winning a major since mid-1980's. Plus add in the latest champion in Clarke (42), along with 5 of the top 8 in the tournament who are the same age or older than Tiger.

And in my opinion Tiger is a step above anyone else on the tour even at 36 years old so him coming back at 100% at still a fairly young age I don't think it is crazy to think that in the next 6-8 years that he can't win 5 majors and/or 12 PGA events to bring his name to the top of thoes lists.
Hilch is offline   Reply With Quote