Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't care how many glass half full fans try to make excuses for this team, they are what they are which is a team worse than both the Canucks and the Oilers. The injury excuse doesn't fly because they were remarkably healthy up to this point and many teams have had to make do with two regulars out of their lineup. The forwards group is lost, the defense poor, goaltending spotty, and the head coach is in over his head. I'm hoping they somehow scrape into the playoffs and maybe get hot but at this point that's a lot to ask considering losses like this have been very frequent. It's just not a good team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #22
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #23
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry, this probably means we'll win 7-3 on Monday against the Ducks.

You know, because its the Flames...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #24
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund line, and Stone were horrible tonight.

Hanifin and Andersson weren’t great either.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
What the hell kind of logic is this
The odds were totally stacked against them. No good team is going to win that game.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #26
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel bad for those who attended game.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #27
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still pissing away points against teams they should be beating, still the same issues with team D - Stone getting caught down low resulting in a breakaway for the other team for the third game in a row and our players leaving the slot area open over and over again is so frustrating. Talbot should have started today.

For those saying that Gallant wouldn't take a coaching position right now, that bit came from Lebrun a week after the firing. Gallant said in an interview with a local FOX affiliate a couple of weeks ago that he was ready to coach again, whether it's this season or next. Knowing how competitive he is and with the Flames still in a playoff position, the wishful thinker in me believes the chance to get back in the race and compete in the playoffs with a young team would be tempting.

Both Hynes and Deboer were unemployed for 34 days. Gallant was fired on January 15th. 34 days from that date is this Tuesday on February 18th, where the Flames have a day off, followed by two practice days.

I'm still not expecting a coaching change this season but if it were to happen that would probably be the last possible time. Any later and it will be too late.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #28
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

4-5-1 since the All Star break. Played some tough divisional rivals in that stretch (SJx2, LA, ANH, EDMx2, VAN) along with a few Central division games (NSH, ST.L, CHI).

Not exactly an easy stretch of hockey and the Flames got close to a majority of the points available during those 10 games.

Next ten they get some non-Western Conference foes to balance out this tough Western Conference schedule they have faced since the break (Boston twice, Tampa Bay, Florida, Columbus, Detroit) along with some Western Conference cannon fodder (Vegas, Anaheim, Nashville, Arizona).

So the schedule balances out for the Flames and I think it is clear that they will only improve now that they got through the murders row they had to face since the All Star break. Seems pretty clear as to what they should do at the pending trade deadline.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #29
Torchdemall
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well that was a cluster ####.

I hope the players have some great advice for coaching staff next week. Seems like the previous changes have already lost their touch.

Maybe put them up at a Super 8 at home and fool them into feeling like they are in the road?

Yikes... figure it out guys.
Torchdemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #30
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Gaudreau was the best player on his line, of course Lindholm is the finisher.

I liked the Bennett line, pretty solid all night.

That's all of the positives I can think of.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #31
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another embarrassing effort at home. Garbage all around. I don't get it.

Can’t use injuries as an excuse either, lots of teams are dealing with key injuries now. Good teams rise above it.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #32
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy how many odd-man rushes we give up.
Like, it seems like 7-8/night.
Tonight felt like 10+
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #33
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Trappiest of trap games and a piss poor effort from everyone. Trap game because they’re coming off a good roadie, against a non PO team that happens to be desperate to get a win and has players that can still burn you and a goalie who can still perform. Piss poor effort just because that’s what it was. They got really lazy at 2-2.
Perhaps, but when every other game is a trap game, I don't think you can say it's a trap game...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #34
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Tkachuk was a complete no show.

Johnny was actually good while Monahan struggled.

Dreadful defensive coverage and awareness from everybody. Certainly looked like a game where one of our top pairing Dmen (Stone) shouldn't be in the NHL.
Not saying this to make excuses for him. Anyone else at the game think Tkachuk looks injured. Skating seemed off and ginger and seemed to be constantly working out his leg.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #35
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Home team drops all three in the season series. Goaltending and D-Zone turnovers were the big differences in this one.

No hope for a playoff matchup for our teams this season...but, I'll be dropping back here from time to time, to season's end.

I do hope your guys can right the ship for a playoff run. For my guys, it will be a GM and Coach fighting for their lives, but, I don't think that goaltending alone, behind our porous defense will keep my guys in the race.

Thanks again for hosting...and best of luck to you and your guys.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #36
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well that sucks.

But really, first game back after a road trip against a hungry team? You can’t expect to win that game really, playoff race or no playoff race.
Wait. You can't expect a home team fighting for their playoff lives to win against a team that had lost 5 straight?

Interesting logic.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:35 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Perhaps, but when every other game is a trap game, I don't think you can say it's a trap game...
Well, they always say these first games back especially against poorer teams. are trap games. BUT they were just bad. Obviously. I’m not sure what you mean by every other game though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 PM   #38
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many teams break losing streaks against the Flames?

Seems to be a trend.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #39
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely pathetic, 16 against in the last 3 weeks at home, and we sat a goalie coming off of a shutout. Isn’t Treliving pretty much skinny Feaster at this point?

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #40
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't pin this loss on the goalies. The team as a whole seemed to have about zero defensive awareness tonight. The defencemen and the forwards. I didn't think any of the goals that were let in were terrible - a couple were probably save-able, but nothing ugly. What was ugly was the incredible looks the Hawks got on their shots.

Too many guys to list that I thought were bad.. but the players that I thought played well:
Bennett
Jankowski
Brodie
Dube
Lucic
Mangiapane

That's about it. The rest were shades of invisible to atrocious.

Lost races to pucks, lost battles for the pucks, a bunch of poor passes, didn't attack the net enough, didn't defend the net enough...

We had a Dallas Eakins' Oilers game tonight IMO.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: