Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #41
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tre needs to stop beating around the bush and begin the rebuild. This team is no good and there is plenty of evidence to support it, best case scenario is being sellers at the deadline and tanking our way to a top 10 pick.
Dragomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #42
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Kylington back on the ice. I wanna know, what kind of flu lasts 24 hours??? A real case of the flu goes a lot longer than that ....
24-hour-flu explained
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #43
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I don't know. I've had the occasional sickness (non hangover related) that after a day of puking and sleep, I was ok.
mild food poisoning, maybe? but it does happen.
Last week I was violently ill, slept for a day and felt much better, but not 100% for about a week. I thought it was food poisoning, but my daughter also went through the same thing, without us having eaten the same food. So, it happens.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #44
300 MPH Blues
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Bennett
Tkachuk - Monahan - Mangiapane

Try this, please!
300 MPH Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 300 MPH Blues For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #45
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Ward is a dummy for keeping the lines the same and also running the blender? He may not be the answer, but I don't think he is the major problem either.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #46
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Any playlist that includes Blinded by the Light is wrong. Is Patio Lanterns up next?
Yes please, I love Patio Lanterns!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #47
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I'd play Achy Breaky Heart and just Achy Breaky Heart all practice every practice, over and over and over and over again... until the team wins.

New music is the carrot, Achy Breaky Heart is the stick.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #48
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
So Ward is a dummy for keeping the lines the same and also running the blender? He may not be the answer, but I don't think he is the major problem either.
This is not a great description of the problem. The problem is that the practice lines almost never change, but lines during the game are then never static. I think most would prefer to see even a small in-game commitment—more than single shif or a period—to a consistent grouping of forward lines. I have to imagine it is frustrating and difficult for forwards to play with three different wingers in the course of a game—especially if you have never practiced with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 03:23 PM   #49
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is not a great description of the problem. The problem is that the practice lines almost never change, but lines during the game are then never static. I think most would prefer to see even a small in-game commitment—more than single shif or a period—to a consistent grouping of forward lines. I have to imagine it is frustrating and difficult for forwards to play with three different wingers in the course of a game—especially if you have never practiced with them.
Perhaps, but do we really know if the announced practice lines are actually kept together for the entire practice?

It just seems to me that some of the fan base is demanding one thing, while another is demanding the opposite. I think it fair to say that no one will be entirely satisfied with what the coach is doing and that the problems are likely much deeper than switching out ineffective RW during a game or practice.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #50
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukowski View Post
I'm here in Vancouver - Anyone know what hotel the team stays at? I've got some musical selections.
Usually the westin bayshore
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #51
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Tre needs to stop beating around the bush and begin the rebuild. This team is no good and there is plenty of evidence to support it, best case scenario is being sellers at the deadline and tanking our way to a top 10 pick.
I think what's most alarming is the team can't win a game in regulation.

If I'm not mistaken January 11th was the last one

We're coming on a month now, that's insane.

So Gulutzanesque in that team appears to play to be "in" the game, but not to run away with it. When we win we still let other teams hang around within a goal.

The lack of foot on throat is actually pretty disturbing considering Treliving's criteria throughout this rebuild has been to seek out character guys that want to win.

It's crazy how much that competitive nature has been sucked out of most of these players since the first round series.

Lindy still had it (maybe being relatively fresh to the team) but he's slowly falling into complacency with the rest of them.

Need a coaching/leadership/culture face lift in here, stat.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:56 PM   #52
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't find the video but during practice it would be like that Walking Dead episode where they played the song to torture Daryl.

We're on easy street
And it feels so sweet
Cause the world is bout a treat
When you're on easy street
And we're breaking out the good champagne
We're sitting pretty on the gravy train
And when we sing every sweet refrain

Over. And. Over.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #53
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about you guys, but I am starting to see a similarity with Brent Sutter - though not nearly as dreadful.

One thing that I noticed that is a 'plus' that this team can do at an average ability level is cycle the puck. 3 or 4 seasons ago, the Flames had few forwards that could maintain a cycle, and they would often be hemmed-in their zone due to the other teams' cycles. I have noticed a significant increase in both their ability to cycle, and their ability to break up cycles. That's actually fantastic.

What isn't so fantastic is that this team seems to be relying too much on a cycle at times - shades of Brent Sutter. At least the outlet passes aren't forced up along the boards. Ward is, in my opinion, a better coach than Brent Sutter in realizing (and least somewhat) what the strengths of this team is.

This team just needs a FASTER transition. They have the horses to do it. They just don't, and it drives me crazy. I almost want the Bob Hartley rule reinstituted - "No reversing the puck between defencemen". The other teams often seem so set in their neutral zone and defensive zone positioning that the dump-chase-cycle is left as their only means of generating chances. The Flames are MILES better at cycling than they used to be, but by no means are they an elite team at it. I am glad that they have vastly improved this ability, but it isn't a strength of this team. I would venture a guess and call them "average", which is a significant upgrade to "putrid" seasons ago.

For just one game, I would love to see the defencemen get control of the puck in the defensive zone, and make one of two decisions:

1) Skate forward with the puck
2) Pass the puck to a forward for a break-out pass - stretch pass or even just a 5 or 10 foot pass to get the transition going.

By all means, IF there are no available forwards, then pass the puck to the defence partner, but only if absolutely necessary and under forecheck pressure.

Giordano, Brodie, Hanifin, Andersson, Kylington - they all excel at passing the puck (brainfart of a game aside on Kylington's part, but that happens sometimes). Hamonic and even Stone are not totally abysmal at this either, though they are definitely not as competent at moving the puck as the other 5. Even Davidson looked 'fine' at passing.

This team looks so damn slow. Want to beat a forecheck effectively? Get the puck out of the zone right away and it forces the other team to stop being so aggressive on the forecheck, or they will end up with too many odd-man rushes against.

For all of Gaudreau's issues this year, I bet this would help his (and others as well) game out. May not get Gaureau back to his 99 points, but I bet it gets him to be more effective as well. He is always double-teamed, and he has no choice but to button-hook and try to pass. That's fine, but when the opposing team is already set defensively, his passes are being anticipated (as he only has perhaps one player semi-open to pass to, or has to dump it along the boards), and turnovers are happening galore.

Also, next overtime, please stick with pairs that know one another and frequently play with one another. I have no idea why Ward is splitting up Monahan and Gaudreau, and Tkachuk and Lindholm. Giordano with the first unit, Brodie with the second. That's what I would love to see.

They just look so slow out there and I really do blame it on a poor transition game. Slow teams are a heck of a lot easier to defend if they have a slow transition, so they have to rely on cycling. It is no surprise that scoring from defencemen is WAY down this year, much like under Gulutzan it seems. Just too damn slow of a transition.

If Treliving sells Brodie and re-signs Hamonic, my head will really explode.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #54
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think what's most alarming is the team can't win a game in regulation.

If I'm not mistaken January 11th was the last one

We're coming on a month now, that's insane.

So Gulutzanesque in that team appears to play to be "in" the game, but not to run away with it. When we win we still let other teams hang around within a goal.

The lack of foot on throat is actually pretty disturbing considering Treliving's criteria throughout this rebuild has been to seek out character guys that want to win.

It's crazy how much that competitive nature has been sucked out of most of these players since the first round series.

Lindy still had it (maybe being relatively fresh to the team) but he's slowly falling into complacency with the rest of them.

Need a coaching/leadership/culture face lift in here, stat.
What's most alarming is that it has been a butter soft schedule. The fact that this team is still in a playoff spot is an illusion of its perceived quality. There is nothing in their game that says...threat.

The temptation for Brad will be that the division is so weak, a few key pieces and you could make the conference final. I think this is also an illusion. Watch LVK...there is another gear there. The flames look like they are getting ready to downshift another gear.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #55
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
The focus in here on the fact that music is being played at practice is the perfect example of why fan opinions shouldn't be taken seriously. Some how the fact that music is being played is galvanizing everyone in here to suggest that the coaches, players and management think that music is the answer.................... we make our selves seem so dumb sometimes.
The entire thing, from wins, losses, nacho cheese, heroin beer and even the music they play during their practice is part of the product and something we can criticize.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #56
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I still believe they will snap out of this, make the playoffs, and win the cup.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #58
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
you must be higher than Jo... never mind.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #59
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I couldn't find the video but during practice it would be like that Walking Dead episode where they played the song to torture Daryl.

We're on easy street
And it feels so sweet
Cause the world is bout a treat
When you're on easy street
And we're breaking out the good champagne
We're sitting pretty on the gravy train
And when we sing every sweet refrain

Over. And. Over.
Lol. In University I remember going to Boston Pizza with a couple buddies and putting enough money in the jukebox to play "Are you Jimmy Ray?" over and over again for like 45 minutes straight. Really seemed to annoy people.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #60
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
Lol. In University I remember going to Boston Pizza with a couple buddies and putting enough money in the jukebox to play "Are you Jimmy Ray?" over and over again for like 45 minutes straight. Really seemed to annoy people.