Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 02-06-2020, 05:23 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm a little concerned that Brody is the defenseman the Flames are willing to part with. It would be so Flames to overpay to keep a worse player like Hamonic and trade the better one away.
It’s Brodie with ‘ie’ at the end

Unless the Flames have the rights to Kramer’s pal who licks his fingers before reaching in the chip bowl. Trade him for sure
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #22
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Ponder and Steinberg hinted that the Flames and Hamonic were inching closer to an extension a couple of weeks ago.
That is really bad news, unless it's for 3 x $2.5m max.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #23
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
That is really bad news, unless it's for 3 x $2.5m max.
Betcha hamonic wants term.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #24
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Maybe they see no chance of Brodie staying here.
If this is true retain salary and try and get a 1st for him. I could see Brodie wanting a big payday and don't blame him. I would prefer him over Hamonic but I don't think we can afford to pay him $6+ million, especially if he's looking for term. If Hamonic is willing to take a reasonable offer then maybe that's the better route.

Flames better be thinking long term though. You lose Brodie, Gio is getting older, Backlund is basically dead weight, Johnny potentially gone in 2 years. Flames would be very smart to sell and try and re-tool this summer. If they don't I see mediocrity followed by a longer and tougher road to being competitive again.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #25
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

They could give Hamonic $1M more a year and he would just be making what Brodie is now. Plus they already tried to trade TJ.

Not a fan of keeping Hamonic but really he's everything this franchise likes.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Betcha hamonic wants term.
That’s a hard no in my books
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #27
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So everybody involved with the Flames doesn't know how to judge talent and ability, but your vast experience does? You should apply.

Last edited by Beatle17; 02-06-2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: In response to DeluxeMustache above
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #28
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Every UFA wants term.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #29
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
So everybody involved with the Flames doesn't know how to judge talent and ability, but your vast experience does? You should apply.
I bet "we" are way smarter than anyone who works for the Flames. Experience vs an extra 30-45 IQ points - not sure who has the advantage.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #30
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I bet "we" are way smarter than anyone who works for the Flames. Experience vs an extra 30-45 IQ points - not sure who has the advantage.
You lose 20 IQ points for this post.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #31
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
You lose 20 IQ points for this post.
I am still solidly in front.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #32
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does it even matter that Gio is injuried?

If there's a good hockey trade out there for a RHS winger for Brodie, take it.

Even with Gio, this team is middling. Don't change your plans just because of an injury to him. This smacks of a GM not knowing where his team is at.

It's middling by the way, in case you weren't sure.

WHat is adding a depth defensemen going to do to help this team win a Stanley Cup in the future? Nothing.

For the record, i'm all for re-signing Brodie and trading Hamonic, but if there's a good hockey trade out there for Brodie and IF Brodie is not intent on re-signing, then there's no point in holding onto him just because of the Gio injury. Gio will be back but the bigger issue is asset management. You don't throw an asset (Brodie) away just because another one got injuried.

Last edited by 868904; 02-06-2020 at 05:40 PM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #33
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not often that every Flames tidbit from Insider Trading rumors pisses me off, but man I am incensed.

Brodie almost traded, Hamonic might be extended, Bennett getting shopped.

Horrible ####ing day
Old 02-06-2020, 05:38 PM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Professionals in this sport are just as prone to having a unique set of misguided biases and blind spots as a lot of dedicated fans are. Often moreso because they may evaluate by watching a ton of tape of one area (for instance "play in front of the net") and overvalue that area's percieved impact.

I want to believe that the Flames are trending towards a higher level of competency but if they hang on to a rapidly declining Hamonic - with term - I really can't help but think I'd rather have some dude on Calgarypuck be our GM. Maybe it's not an Occam's Razor level of obvious but the fact is that Hamonic has been here for three years and outside of one regular season he's been half of our worst pair and never a part of our best. That's two regular seasons and a playoff series. He was also awful the year before he got here. That's 3 bad seasons out of four, and a horrible playoffs.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #35
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
It's not often that every Flames tidbit from Insider Trading rumors pisses me off, but man I am incensed.

Brodie almost traded, Hamonic might be extended, Bennett getting shopped.

Horrible ####ing day
same here... apparently we are after Simmonds.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #36
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd hate to see our transition game with Brodie gone.

Hoping these insiders are wrong.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #37
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They can't not be shopping Bennett. His game is what it is for all to see.

And please, please don't waste picks on a depth defenseman.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #38
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Why does it even matter that Gio is injuried?

If there's a good hockey trade out there for a RHS winger for Brodie, take it.

Even with Gio, this team is middling. Don't change your plans just because of an injury to him. This smacks of a GM not knowing where his team is at.

It's middling by the way, in case you weren't sure.

WHat is adding a depth defensemen going to do to help this team win a Stanley Cup in the future? Nothing.

For the record, i'm all for re-signing Brodie and trading Hamonic, but if there's a good hockey trade out there for Brodie and IF Brodie is not intent on re-signing, then there's no point in holding onto him just because of the Gio injury. Gio will be back but the bigger issue is asset management. You don't throw an asset (Brodie) away just because another one got injuried.
My thoughts too - the idea that you can't trade Brodie because Gio's injured is just more pie-in-the-sky "We're just a piece away..." BS. Team's not good, and the problem isn't fixed by standing pat now. I mean, arguably, they shouldn't trade Brodie away at all, given that the team's defense hasn't looked stellar for awhile here - it may be as important to keep Brodie as it is to get a RHS RW here.

But if Brodie on the left and Hamonic on the right is the top pairing right now.... playoffs looks pretty far away.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #39
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving has been all over the flavour of the month type players over the years - ie: Hamonic, Hamilton, Neal. It's in his blood to be in the conversations for these guys. So far there haven't been any names out there that fit the bill, but with the deadline coming around you know there will be that one player who the media will jump on and he'll become the inflated price player everyone talks about. I hope whomever it is, Treliving stays away.

Personally, I'm overall happy with Treliving as GM. He's generally not fallen in love with anything he's done, is willing to ship out mistakes, but he has fallen into some traps (ie: the Lucic trade). Overall, I want him to stay as GM, though what I want to see more of is player communication to genuinely get the best of his players. The Neal situation was alarming, and the Johnny one has as well, and personally that resides on upper management. Whatever Johnny's problems are should be addressed in the form of a good sit down to help him out because something isn't sitting well there, and I think if he's among your main guys going forward, you genuinely have to talk and mentor him through whatever his challenge is. It takes an ego check but something has to be worked out with him.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #40
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

i think i would have to take even more of a hiatus from the flames if they traded brodie, kept hamonic, and bennett ends up scoring 40 points with real opportunity and stable usage
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post: