Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #61
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Once Philly makes you that offer, it’s not going away July 1. I don’t understand the stress myself.

These trades don’t seem to happen in other sports. But the NHL isn’t known for being avant garde exactly.
Actually offers do go away sometimes in early July. If a player doesn’t sign in a certain window it may force the team to pivot, go a different direction, make an offer to a different player which necessitates pulling the offer from the original player.

We’ve seen it happen. Guys wait a few days into July find out offers get pulled, fire their agent and sign later for less than they could have.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #62
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Actually offers do go away sometimes in early July. If a player doesn’t sign in a certain window it may force the team to pivot, go a different direction, make an offer to a different player which necessitates pulling the offer from the original player.

We’ve seen it happen. Guys wait a few days into July find out offers get pulled, fire their agent and sign later for less than they could have.
Sure but that's not the situation. Why sign an offer in June when you can wait until free agency begins and know your options? Remember the NHL allows for a courting period pre July 1.

Are you suggesting the Flyers would make him an offer and pull it before free agency even begins?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #63
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Sure but that's not the situation. Why sign an offer in June when you can wait until free agency begins and know your options? Remember the NHL allows for a courting period pre July 1.

Are you suggesting the Flyers would make him an offer and pull it before free agency even begins?
Rumor has it he really wants to play in Philly. It is sort of a shrewd way to go about things. Trade likely a nothing pick to get him. Make him an average to below average offer stating its on the table till June 23rd.

Not a bad way to go about things. But I'm not saying thats what they are doing.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #64
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Rumor has it he really wants to play in Philly. It is sort of a shrewd way to go about things. Trade likely a nothing pick to get him. Make him an average to below average offer stating its on the table till June 23rd.

Not a bad way to go about things. But I'm not saying thats what they are doing.
If he really wants to play in Philly, you gave up a pick for nothing. Pulling the offer a week before free agency is most certainly not bargaining in good faith. It’s trying to take advantage of someone.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #65
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sometimes peace of mind is worth a 5th round pick. Get him under contract, one less (major) thing to do at free agency so you can focus on other things.

It's a very small price to analyze too much.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #66
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recall a situation where a team acquired the neg rights like this but then failed to cut a deal before the guy went UFA?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #67
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Can anyone recall a situation where a team acquired the neg rights like this but then failed to cut a deal before the guy went UFA?
Jimmy Vesey
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #68
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Dan Hamhuis

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #69
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Mark Messier (apparently. Peaked my interest with your post).

Quote:
On June 30, 2003 Mark Messier's rights were traded (from the rangers) to the San Jose Sharks for a fourth round draft pick. This draft pick ended up being used to select Rochester, NY native and future Rangers captain Ryan Callahan. The Sharks held his rights for just a few hours as he would eventually go on to re-sign with the Rangers as a free agent.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Dan Hamhuis
Yeah, looking at that, it happened twice in the same period. His rights went from Nashville to Philly to Pittsburgh and then he went UFA and signed with the Canucks. Seeing as how he signed a 6 year deal with the Canucks, if he signed the same term with Pittsburgh he'd perhaps have two rings.

That said, Shero said later that, if he hadn't traded for those rights, he'd have wasted time talking to Hamhuis on UFA day and he'd have missed out on moving quickly to sign Michalek and Martin (leading to their cup wins). So he said trading the third rounder was worth it. I wonder if that's just backfilling though.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #71
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ehrhoff
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #72
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Ehrhoff
Jimmy Vesey. Dealt to Buffalo after being drafted by Nashville, eventually signed with New York.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #73
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
There’s lots of examples of that. Don’t recall them all off the top of my head but it happens regularly.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
There’s lots of examples of that. Don’t recall them all off the top of my head but it happens regularly.
See that's pretty crazy to me. I'd want to know what was already being demanded by the player.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #75
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Sounds like Kevin Hayes was impressed by his visit with #Flyers. Money talks, so we’ll see, but they have work to do to entice him not to go to market. My understanding is PHI isn’t No. 1 on his list at the moment. That can change. I believe he’d be intrigued by #CBJ and #Coyotes
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #76
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If Hayes doesn't choose Philadelphia thats going to screw up the narrative that was starting to sprout of Johnny following his buddy back home. Now what are we going to (prematurely) panic about?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #77
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Mark Messier (apparently. Peaked my interest with your post).
I don’t believe they acquired Messier with the purposes of signing him.

It was a now closed loophole in the CBA dealing with free agent compensation.

If he re-signed with the Rangers they would receive no compensation, but if he resigned with a different team the Rangers would get a 3rd or a 2nd round pick, I forget which exactly.

So in essence the Sharks received the compensation & traded a 4th round pick for a 3rd round pick. The Rangers received a 4th round pick as they wouldn’t have received anything for re-signing Messier.

The Leafs & the Flames made a similar deal with CuJo.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:37 PM   #78
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
Sounds like Kevin Hayes was impressed by his visit with #Flyers. Money talks, so we’ll see, but they have work to do to entice him not to go to market. My understanding is PHI isn’t No. 1 on his list at the moment. That can change. I believe he’d be intrigued by #CBJ and #Coyotes
Had the chance to chat with Kevin Hayes on the weekend I saw him and Hanifin out in Old Town Scottsdale at one of the bars there. Can't blame him for being interested in Arizona that whole district is awesome. I can confirm that unfortunately he's not all that interested in signing with Calgary despite my ace 2 minute sales pitch. Nice guy though.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #79
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t believe they acquired Messier with the purposes of signing him.

It was a now closed loophole in the CBA dealing with free agent compensation.

If he re-signed with the Rangers they would receive no compensation, but if he resigned with a different team the Rangers would get a 3rd or a 2nd round pick, I forget which exactly.

So in essence the Sharks received the compensation & traded a 4th round pick for a 3rd round pick. The Rangers received a 4th round pick as they wouldn’t have received anything for re-signing Messier.

The Leafs & the Flames made a similar deal with CuJo.

Close, but iirc it was actually the Rangers wouldn't receive compensation because of their payroll or whatever they used. So they would trade him to a team that wasn't going to sign him, but would get the compensatory pick. So the Rangers would get something and the middle-man team would get something.

Same thing happened with Richter.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #80
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
Dan Hamhuis

twice, iirc.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote