Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 09:41 PM   #21
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only a 5th for Kevin Hayes After giving up a 1st rounder + Brendan Lemieux + conditional 4th rounder just to get him as a rental??

Bahahahahah wow! Jets get fleeced. Love it!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Philly is a strange team to look at right now.

The most movable asset might be Vorocek, but that is a 8.25M cap hit for five years, taking him to 34 years old.

Everyone else is a superstar, or a ELC or RFA.

They would likely enjoy trading Van Rymsdyk, but I'm not sure who would touch that. There defense is pretty set, with 3 of 4 of their biggest cap hits hitting UFA next year, with no reason to bring them back. Sandheim and Provorov look like the top pair of the very near future.

Could go big game hunting?
Why would they trade a recent free agent signing who scored 27 goals in an injury shortened season? Big, goal scorer, young and when he came back the lines became more balanced and allowed the Flyers to play better hockey.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #23
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think these trades are dumb and they don’t happen in other sports. Why any player would sign at this point in the season is beyond me.

Good for the Jets for getting something for nothing.
I think we underestimate how stressful UFA time is for these guys. Especially a player like Kevin Hayes.

Philly was probably pretty high on his destination list, and it's not like the Flyers are known for cheaping out on guys. So if Philly wanted you enough to trade a 5th, they'll probably be willing to sign you to something starting with a 6, and you can go about enjoying your summer.

Now, someone's rights get traded to Edmonton or Buffalo, see you Canada Day.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #24
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jets will likely get nothing for something from this deal, not something for nothing. Getting back only a 5th rounder for a player like Kevin Hayes is just pittance and when you factor in what the Jets had to give up to get him before it's like getting robbed blind.

Once again, Jets get fleeced. Philly took the candy from the baby.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #25
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves. They still have to sign Hayes. I mean, I've always been of the belief you do trade for a pending UFA without having the contract already agreed upon with the blessing of the other team, but you never know. Philly may have just chucked a 5th away for nothing.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #26
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Jets will likely get nothing for something from this deal, not something for nothing. Getting back only a 5th rounder for a player like Kevin Hayes is just pittance and when you factor in what the Jets had to give up to get him before it's like getting robbed blind.

They were never going to get anything close to what they gave up for Hayes. If the Jets knew he wasn't coming back then they might as well get something back instead of nothing when he leaves on July 1st. Philly offered a pick, the Jets thought 'might as well', and here we are. You can't compare the pick today to what they gave up to get him, totally different circumstances.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #27
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also pushes the player out of the conference

Get a pick back and avoid the Stasny nightmare where he leaves for nothing and signs with the team that just eliminated you
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #28
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couturier+Patrick for Johnny? Lol I might say yes to that but otherwise take a hike
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #29
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hayes should wait for window at least to talk. I have to think Tre sees the risk that Hayes in Philly presents to Gaudreau’s next contract. I’m thinking Hayes could be a target for us for real to pre-empt phillys plan.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:40 PM   #30
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hayes is Backlund without the defence. Why would Johnny want to leave to play with a guy who barely breaks 20 goals and 45 points?
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #31
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Hayes is Backlund without the defence. Why would Johnny want to leave to play with a guy who barely breaks 20 goals and 45 points?
They're good friends and college buddies. They might not play on the same line and that wouldn't be his sole reason for leaving, but having Hayes around on top of playing for his favorite team and close to family would be appealing.

But I also think that it's all too early to predict this stuff. Hayes might not sign with Philly or be traded to another team in three years, and who knows what Johnny thinks. I think it'll ultimately come down to how successful the Flames are in that time and whether they will still contend after that.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:01 AM   #32
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Gaudreau is also tight buds with Monahan. They both have Doodles as pets. They were roomies at one point.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:30 AM   #33
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny is not going anywhere.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #34
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I dunno,

Gaudreau for Couturier + 11 OA + 65 OA

Hall for Brodie + Jankowski + 11 OA + 65 OA

Hall - Couturier - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Monahan - Bennett
Mangiapane - Backlund - Dube
Czarnik - Ryan - Hathaway

I don’t know what you do with Neal...
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is the reality of acquiring rental players at the deadline. Lots of Flames fans wanted to send a 1st round pick out for a rental that probably wouldn't have moved the needle for the Flames in the playoffs and we would be having the same discussion about the Flames getting fleeced. Sure the Blue Jackets won a round for the first time ever but now they have to deal with the fact that they have no 1st round pick in the upcoming draft. I don't see that organization being better long term after that deal although maybe it was worth it in that it helped provide fans with a small taste of playoff success and may have sold a few more season tickets.

Big issue I see for the Jets is that they are one of the best teams in the league when it comes to making astute picks in the 1st round and they have shipped out 1st round picks in back to back seasons now for players that haven't made a difference for them in the playoffs. Trades like this eventually start to take their toll on organizational depth going forward.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-04-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Neither is Couturier but that hasn't stopped many here from putting his name in a lot of trade scenarios with the Flames.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #37
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are gonna regret trading Johnny before giving him an upgrade on centre.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #38
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Max value for Johnny right now - let's do a 2019 Lindros deal with them.
Elite players simply are not worth as much in a cap world, as elite players take up cap room. There is a limit to how many you can afford.

And Johnny will never be confused with Lindros.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #39
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Jets get fleeced. Love it!
That’s how rentals work. Except the fleecing happened months ago, not yesterday.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I think we underestimate how stressful UFA time is for these guys. Especially a player like Kevin Hayes.

Philly was probably pretty high on his destination list, and it's not like the Flyers are known for cheaping out on guys. So if Philly wanted you enough to trade a 5th, they'll probably be willing to sign you to something starting with a 6, and you can go about enjoying your summer.

Now, someone's rights get traded to Edmonton or Buffalo, see you Canada Day.
Once Philly makes you that offer, it’s not going away July 1. I don’t understand the stress myself.

These trades don’t seem to happen in other sports. But the NHL isn’t known for being avant garde exactly.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote