Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #61
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
So you’d keep Brodie over Hamonic?
I think you have to look at what both players bring at their best.

At Hamonic's best, he's a physical 2nd pairing D who kills penalties and doesn't bring a lot of offense to the table.

At Brodie's best, he can control the game and play 25+ minutes. With Brodie, Giordano is a Norris favorite. With Hamilton, Gio was a 40 pt #1D.

Brodie could conceivably play another seven or eight years of effective top pairing hockey.

Hamonic seems like the sort of player who will decline and decline quickly when he starts losing steps, which is not meant to undersell his contributions.

Brodie's a better hockey player than Hamonic. I'd trade Hamonic before Brodie.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 PM   #62
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I think you have to look at what both players bring at their best.
There's a lot more to factor in though. At their best, Brodie is better, but I'd say Hamonic plays at his best more often than Brodie does. And as far as team needs go, judging by the young D-men on the team, Hamonic fills more of a need at this point.

That said, I'm going to be a coward and say I'm on the fence on this one.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #63
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have 2 top 4 Dmen that will be 29 when next season starts that both have 1 year left on their deals. While many things on the surface lead me to believe Brodie is who the Flames should be shopping it makes sense to gauge the market on both. If Hamonic is able to get a much sweeter return you look at it I guess?

The Jets are likely losing Myers and Trouba and that is ultimately where Hamonic wants to be. Not sure what the Flames would covet that makes sense from the Jets perspective? The Leafs have coveted Hamonic in the past and have a couple of forwards that intrigue the Flames?

Makes sense to get a feel for what teams would give up for both and make the best deal. I prefer Hamonic to Brodie but if that is the consensus with other teams then maybe that is the move the Flames make?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 PM   #64
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Bigbrodiefan stole the login password for DeluxeMoustache.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:30 PM   #65
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Meh. You can feel free to throw out any of my opinions that you like. He had some strong games. He was not great in game 5.

While I feel Smith for the most part played fantastic, I am left wondering if Rittich, or different goalie could have gotten a better result. I honestly thought the Flames seemed more confident in Rittich's stellar play early in the season. I am curious to see how Rittich would have responded during playoff games; He tends to be more emotional, which can be a momentum changer. Rittich, and Smith have somewhat different styles so there's that.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #66
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic, Brodie, I think the Flames will part with whoever gives the best return.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:42 PM   #67
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames feel comfortable losing either guy and they will trade whichever one gets them the highest return. Personally I hope they keep Hamonic as I really like his game and the Flames need a bit more of him, not less.

Having said that, Brodie is not nearly as bad as some people make him out to be so keeping him wouldn’t really hurt my feelings either.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You trade Brodie and you never even think twice about it.

Hes got higher value to a wider range of needs and frankly hes more skilled but far less gritty and effective than Hamonic. Although he does have tendency to provide that rare spark or offensive contribution. Its not ideal, but its the reality.

But skill we have in younger replacements. Hamonic brings something that is not only hard to find, but infectious across the entire team. But fewer points.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:03 AM   #69
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Move them both!

For draft picks. Give their combined salaries to Tkachuk for a long-term deal.

Flames' D still solid:

Gio Hanifin
Andersson Välimäki
Kylington Fantenberg

Prout
Stone

Last edited by Phaneuf_Phan; 06-01-2019 at 12:13 AM.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:04 AM   #70
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You trade Brodie and you never even think twice about it.

Hes got higher value to a wider range of needs and frankly hes more skilled but far less gritty and effective than Hamonic. Although he does have tendency to provide that rare spark or offensive contribution. Its not ideal, but its the reality.

But skill we have in younger replacements. Hamonic brings something that is not only hard to find, but infectious across the entire team. But fewer points.
I am a Brodie fan, and I agree with this completely. Brodie is a player that most teams will pay for and if/when he is traded most Flames fans will be happy with the return. Not because we rid ourselves of an inconsistent player but the realization of what we had was coveted by other teams and the return will most likely be a "fit" for what is the direction going forward.

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #71
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no issues with trading Hamonic for a decent return. Anything close to what they gave up for him and I’m for it.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #72
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Move them both!
For?
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:08 AM   #73
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Looks like Bigbrodiefan stole the login password for DeluxeMoustache.
Nah. She seems nice.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #74
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
For?
PK Subban! If we can beat the Oilers to him that is.

I am 1000% kidding.

This is the point though, I think management is comfortable that we have a ready replacement for Brodie within the organization, hence the reticence to trade Valimaki.

Kyllington is also really good.

The talent is there, the grit not so much but Andersson shows promise.

This is what good teams do. Draft well. Develop talent and then you have to move some of it to retain capspace.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 AM   #75
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree that you trade whichever player gives you the best return.

I think you have to look at the Muzzin deal as the guideline of what you are looking for in return. LA got a 1st and 2 prospects who were former 2nd round picks for Muzzin. I would think we should be able to get close to that, maybe a little less as Toronto was able to get Muzzin for a few extra months.

I wonder if the Rangers would move the 20th pick in the draft for Brodie, their defense is pretty weak.

The other team I think might be willing to move their first is the Islanders. I think Hamonic going back to the Islanders would make some sense as he is the type of defenseman Lou covets. Might be able to get a player like Dal Colle, Vande Sompel or Ho-Sang thrown into the deal as well.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #76
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
For?
Edited post above
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:16 AM   #77
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Whatever move it is, so long as it improves whatever that clusterfudge in our defensive zone in round one was.

I really like Hamonic's character and he'll be a beloved Flame for good reason, but if it's him because of the demand and return, then so be it.

We didn't get Stone because Treliving believed that much in Valimaki. So you best make him a regular spot to justify it.

All I know is our defense needs to get a little faster and tougher on puck carriers, and our center position needs to get better possessionally.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #78
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My preference would be to trade Hamonic over Brodie. But I'd also be intrigued by the idea of trading both to upgrade the center position and add a draft pick. Two top four defensemen should be able to grab a good centerman.

I also remain intrigued by the idea of trading Hamonic for kadri.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:06 AM   #79
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

not a surprise; Calgary is up against the cap, have a wealth of young D coming up and both Brodie and Hamonic have one year left on their contracts.

Hamonic has a high floor, low ceiling... not going to see too many blunders, but you aren't going to see game changing plays from him either. Smart, stay at home defenseman

Brodie is the opposite, low floor, high ceiling... can make eye popping plays for the team, but was guilty of enough gaffs that Peters moved him off Gio's pairing on multiple occasions.

Return with obviously dictate it, but one thing coaches love is consistency: knowing what a guy brings to the table every game is huge. IMO Hamonic is safer in that regard. Guys like Valimaki, Andersson and Ksylington (hopefully) can replace those points on the back end.

unfortunately, someone has to get traded...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 01:26 AM   #80
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
My preference would be to trade Hamonic over Brodie. But I'd also be intrigued by the idea of trading both to upgrade the center position and add a draft pick. Two top four defensemen should be able to grab a good centerman.

I also remain intrigued by the idea of trading Hamonic for kadri.
I'm also a fan of that idea.

We have the prospects at D on the fringe, deal from your position of strength to boost the center position, which is probably the key to the team taking the next step.

Getting a C skilled enough to push Backlund down a spot on the depth chart would do worlds more good for the team than keeping one or either of the guys.

I'd aim for someone even marginally better than Kadri.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote