Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lucic Talks Sutter and BoA

Didn't know where to plop this into, so I just decided to make a thread. I didn't see this posted anywhere else. I enjoyed listening to this. Lucic seemed fairly open and frank when it comes to Darryl Sutter.

The entire interview was pretty good. Talked about playing for Team Canada and winning the medal, about how he broke into the league with the Bruins, etc. I always do enjoy Lucic's interviews. The entire interview is an hour and 25 minutes long, however.

Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:18 PM   #2
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty good interview. Looch said it best with teams in the playoffs. Teams usually load up on big, heavy bodies if they want to go far and maybe eventually win the Cup. It's really too bad Sutter can't finish his un-finished business in Calgary because the team he had last season is too far from what his ideal playoff team would be.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #3
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any coles notes on what he said RE: Sutter?
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
He liked him, though he was a tough SOB who growled at guys for joking around 4 hours before a game. Felt like Sutter never wanted guys to get too comfortable even in a winning streak. Thought Sutter was all about improving guys as players and playing a winning style for the POs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn you looch.

Makes me want to resign him at league min. Well the heart wants it. The head not so much.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 02:57 PM   #6
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
All praise. Loved Sutter, would do anything for him (and believes Sutter the type to do anything for someone else). Knows what it takes to win, always focused on preparing guys for the playoffs and preparing guys for the next level.

Said Sutter is a lot different than what he shows in interviews. Isn't afraid of playing the bad guy, hates giving media anything because he doesn't want other teams to know what's going on in the room.

Also said Sutter was a hard-ass, would shut it down if guys were having too much fun/laughing/joking around in the room. Said his motivation tactics probably weren't a good fit with the way guys are now. But the smartest coach he's ever played for.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:02 PM   #7
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter is a great coach for the Black Aces like Looch, not sure he is the guy for the actual top 6 forwards on a team.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:14 PM   #8
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's about in line with what is expected. Thanks both of you guys for the summaries.
bdubbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:21 PM   #9
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comment I found interesting is Lucic talking about Sutter's hockey IQ. In game could see adjustments that teams made, he didn't have to wait to watch the video. hearing that and constantly thinking the last couple years the flames seemed to not make those adjustments. Not sure if that speaks a bit to the players we have.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:25 PM   #10
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Sutter is a great coach for the Black Aces like Looch, not sure he is the guy for the actual top 6 forwards on a team.
Definitely not on the current Flames team.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:27 PM   #11
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

I’d take Looch back at league minimum as the 13th forward if he’s okay with that role. Better a veteran in that role than a young guy, and Looch helps the dressing room even when he’s not playing I suspect. And when his particular set of skills are needed he’s a nice weapon to throw in the lineup. If they give a few young guys a chance, having Looch around to play Old Shep might make them a little more comfortable.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 03:27 PM   #12
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

John Stevens a former assistant of Sutters

https://youtu.be/qkgiA3IdLTA

Hope link works?
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 03:30 PM   #13
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Comment I found interesting is Lucic talking about Sutter's hockey IQ. In game could see adjustments that teams made, he didn't have to wait to watch the video. hearing that and constantly thinking the last couple years the flames seemed to not make those adjustments. Not sure if that speaks a bit to the players we have.
I was thinking the same thing. A lot of times, players think one way and the coach the other way, especially when the team isn't doing so well and not everyone's on the same page. I'm sure not everyone's on Sutter's page for playing playoff hockey for 82 games straight and losing/winning games by a mere one goal difference every time.
Old 06-09-2023, 04:47 PM   #14
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Also said Sutter was a hard-ass, would shut it down if guys were having too much fun/laughing/joking around in the room. Said his motivation tactics probably weren't a good fit with the way guys are now. But the smartest coach he's ever played for.
Also said that he thinks Sutter plays the bad guy as something for the players to rally together against.

I wonder if Lucic ever gets into coaching. He seems like the type.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:13 PM   #15
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I was thinking the same thing. A lot of times, players think one way and the coach the other way, especially when the team isn't doing so well and not everyone's on the same page. I'm sure not everyone's on Sutter's page for playing playoff hockey for 82 games straight and losing/winning games by a mere one goal difference every time.
Imagine if the goalies didn't have a .890 save percentage.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 06:27 PM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could another coach get better results from these same players with the same quality goaltending that the Flames received last year? I’m really not so sure but I supppse we’ll never really know.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 06:39 PM   #17
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this is pretty telling.
Remember Lucic almost quit over Peters approach.

So hard ass coaches aren't alike. This doesn't sound like Lucic putting up with Darryl becuase thats Darryl. Darryl's mind games and motivational tactics work and have worked, but there is a method behind his madness, he backs it up with hockey IQ and sounded like proper game management in theroy.

But his style isn't for everyone, some players had their mind made up and didn't buy in, and if there was a faction (there was) pushing for him to go, certainly doesn't sound that Lucic was on that side of the room.

Huska will have his work cut out for himself in properly motivating the room and buying in to the good guy coach...hopefully Conroy gives him a helping hand by moving some of the roster out that didn't like their feelings hurt by the last coach.

It's shown before that this team, many still on the roster, took a mental vacation when Ward was brought back as coach after the Dallas series loss, and the team wasted that next season (and a year of prime JG SM and MT) as a result.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 07:40 PM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I’d take Looch back at league minimum as the 13th forward if he’s okay with that role. Better a veteran in that role than a young guy, and Looch helps the dressing room even when he’s not playing I suspect. And when his particular set of skills are needed he’s a nice weapon to throw in the lineup. If they give a few young guys a chance, having Looch around to play Old Shep might make them a little more comfortable.
Umm no.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:42 PM   #19
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh gosh another rambling story time with Browna.

Sutter was a db I hate the players crap.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 08:16 PM   #20
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great interview overall. I am really impressed by how intelligent and thoughtful Lucic appears at these interviews. Everything he says about Sutter is why I am so upset to see Darryl fired.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:

Tags
boa , darryl sutter , lucic