Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 AM   #81
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here are your meaningful contributions to this thread so far. Do you feel like these were well thought out points that deserve a more thoughtful response than what they received?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Gg is the worst.every player has experienced point regression
Quote:
This would be a wet dream
Quote:
YOU forget the 82 games last year?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #82
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

F the gluegun. He w0nt be a headcoach in the NHL again after he gets canned here.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #83
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This thread is about GG. If you don't agree with the CP mass it makes you a troll?

Jesus, this forum is unbearable. If you have a different opinion, or a grammatical error, half its members take it personally.
I don't agree, and I think this has been explained to you multiple times...

There is nothing wrong with having a different opinion - all opinions are welcome, and improve the conversation.

What people get upset about is when posters state the same opinion over and over, in multiple threads. Everyone knows that you are frustrated with Bennett, for example. And that's fine. But posting it 10 or 20 times a day, in every conversation, is extremely annoying.

I really wish that the posters that are guilty of this could figure it out: your opinion is welcome, just stop bleating!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 08:46 AM   #84
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Toronto feels paying Babcock 8M/year is worth it. Results so far indicate it was a good move.

Your sentiments just don't jive with Hartley/Gulutzan though. The Flames braintrust seemed to think coaching was enough of a problem to warrant an early firing for an unproven up and comer.

If fans and media believe Treliving, Bob took the team as far as he could. I take that to mean they believe the roster should win a second round series. The trading of picks supports this.
When the Leafs were the worst team in the league, was Babcock a bad coach?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #85
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I mean Babcock is so good that he can't coach them to play defence and they usually need 5 goals to win.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #86
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, the key to good coaching is shortening the bench? Todd has the shortest bench in the league and he's not getting it done.

This thread started with the score when we were down 2-0. But I suppose the haters would say the players were able to overcome GGs bad coaching to pull out the 3-2 win.

I like him, but that isn't worth a hill of beans is it.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #87
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think GG has done a good job so far. People are so quick to blame losses in the coach, when clearly, most losses I've seen have been the benefactor of lack of hustle, losing battles, bad penalties, and bad passing which leads to give aways. That is more so on the players than the coach. Sure he might not be the best coach out there and we'd all rather have a guy like Babcock but he's doing a good job in my opinion.

Last season it took a while for the team to learn his system and to get things rolling and when they did they were one of the best teams in the league for a long stretch. I don't think that's a fluke. It's been 9 games and the team is over .500 when most of us were saying we'd be happy with a .500 start at the 10 game mark. You can see in the last 2 games that the team is starting to fix a lot of their mistakes and are starting to come into last season form.

It's very annoying hearing the coach take all the blame after a loss, and it seems like the same handful of posters constantly doing it. It's almost as if they want to be right so badly that even after a win they still feel the need to make negative posts about the coaching.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #88
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---Hatrick--- View Post
I think GG has done a good job so far. People are so quick to blame losses in the coach, when clearly, most losses I've seen have been the benefactor of lack of hustle, losing battles, bad penalties, and bad passing which leads to give aways. That is more so on the players than the coach. Sure he might not be the best coach out there and we'd all rather have a guy like Babcock but he's doing a good job in my opinion.

Last season it took a while for the team to learn his system and to get things rolling and when they did they were one of the best teams in the league for a long stretch. I don't think that's a fluke. It's been 9 games and the team is over .500 when most of us were saying we'd be happy with a .500 start at the 10 game mark. You can see in the last 2 games that the team is starting to fix a lot of their mistakes and are starting to come into last season form.

It's very annoying hearing the coach take all the blame after a loss, and it seems like the same handful of posters constantly doing it. It's almost as if they want to be right so badly that even after a win they still feel the need to make negative posts about the coaching.

Either that or they are trolling, sad thing is they get more attention and leeway than a lot of us non- elite posters.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #89
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is still early in the season and the team is still getting into things. I think it was Willis that said the Flames just have to play their game. When they do, they are a good team. Part of the issue of late is a odd lapse or mistake by the players. In short time that will be corrected.

Listening to the media that watch the team, this team is working really hard in practices. The coach has them working hard the results just weren't there (albeit a small sample size). It was said back in the minny game, you play like that more often than not you will come away with points. Never once did they give up on the game once going down, and I think that is a sign of good coaching. He has them believing if they play their way good things will happen.

The result last night gives the team something to build off off, similar to that night last November when this team turned the page and "got the system".
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #90
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
No, I don't agree. Differences of opinions are fine, but back it up with something other than "I feel that..." insert whatever. That's just an emotional reaction that is personal to that one person. If the large majority of a group doesn't agree, accept that and move on. What I detest is when someone feels the need to say their own personal reaction over and over ad nauseam without adding anything to the discussion in a reasonable way or with tangible evidence. It's boring and does nothing to foster reasonable discussion, but rather gets an emotional reaction from a bunch of other people on the board. Someone who does that is likely doing it in a calculated way expecting a certain result based on past experience. Either that person is starving for attention, or they're trolling. Take your pick.

Oh, and clearly communicating your ideas with relatively proper grammar only strengthens your credibility. Try it sometime.
It seems as if you want a positive re-enforcement forum. One thats devoid of differing opinions. For all that go argue one way there is equal argument the other way hence a discussion forum. There wouldn't be much to discuss if we all said "ok".

With respect to grammer: I couldn't careless what you, or others think of my writing abilities. I'm not here for an assessment, but assess away if it makes you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
...."half "it's" members" makes it seem like your not from these parts? Are you actually a Flames fan or are you trolling?
I don't know, do you want me to call it my forum and Gio my captain?

Again, the members all want conformism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't agree, and I think this has been explained to you multiple times...

There is nothing wrong with having a different opinion - all opinions are welcome, and improve the conversation.

What people get upset about is when posters state the same opinion over and over, in multiple threads. Everyone knows that you are frustrated with Bennett, for example. And that's fine. But posting it 10 or 20 times a day, in every conversation, is extremely annoying.

I really wish that the posters that are guilty of this could figure it out: your opinion is welcome, just stop bleating!
I'll start with Bennett, if you have paid attention to my concerns, you will have noticed over the past week I've changed my position considerably. I was very vocal during his contract signing time because folks here were giving him $5m/year - I was making a point.

Again for all the anti GG posts I make there are 10x the pro GG posts.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #91
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I mean, I like the coach and think he's doing a fine job. But do I feel the need to bring it up at every opportunity?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #92
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Here are your meaningful contributions to this thread so far. Do you feel like these were well thought out points that deserve a more thoughtful response than what they received?
WEll this is a thread, specifically, about GG. Further those are responses to statements by others so they don't need to be substantial.

Look who's going on and on about the same thing now. I'm looking at YOU CPF.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #93
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You're describing troll behavior on the part of those posters. I don't think that's something that should be celebrated.
Uhm........... actually I was being critical of the posters who keep this thing going, such as yourself. You really didn't pick up on that?

I'm fine with it. In fact I find the whole thing amusing. By all means please do keep on correcting Backlunds_socks. You might change his mind.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #94
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WEll this is a thread, specifically, about GG. Further those are responses to statements by others so they don't need to be substantial.

Look who's going on and on about the same thing now. I'm looking at YOU CPF.
No, not all of them were.

At any rate, you were playing a victim card saying that you weren't allowed to speak your mind or have a dissenting opinion. I'm saying that your dissenting opinions have so little substance to them that they aren't worthy of being taken seriously. If you write something better people are likely to have a real discussion with you. It's up to you I guess.

And you asked the question and made a blanket statement about this community, to which I simply provided a response and some examples of what I was talking about.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #95
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

At any rate, you were playing a victim card saying that you weren't allowed to speak your mind or have a dissenting opinion. I'm saying that your dissenting opinions have so little substance to them that they aren't worthy of being taken seriously. If you write something better people are likely to have a real discussion with you. It's up to you I guess.

And you asked the question and made a blanket statement about this community, to which I simply provided a response and some examples of what I was talking about.
Thanks for confirming that having a different opinion leads to bitterness on some posters.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #96
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It seems as if you want a positive re-enforcement forum. One thats devoid of differing opinions. For all that go argue one way there is equal argument the other way hence a discussion forum. There wouldn't be much to discuss if we all said "ok".

With respect to grammer: I couldn't careless what you, or others think of my writing abilities. I'm not here for an assessment, but assess away if it makes you feel better.

I don't know, do you want me to call it my forum and Gio my captain?

Again, the members all want conformism.

I'll start with Bennett, if you have paid attention to my concerns, you will have noticed over the past week I've changed my position considerably. I was very vocal during his contract signing time because folks here were giving him $5m/year - I was making a point.

Again for all the anti GG posts I make there are 10x the pro GG posts.
Let me make an analogy. A kid goes to the store with his mom he puts in a few things he wants when his moms not looking. When she turns and notices she takes the items back out so what does the kid do? He starts throwing a tantrum and doesn't stop until she gives him what he wants. This is called a learned behavior, The kid has learned if he does it enough he will get what he wants. I would have respected your opinion that GG is not a good coach or a bad coach if you had stated it a couple times or had given well thought out responses; But dragging it into the game threads is madness and repeating it over and over when you don't get your own way is just like the kid throwing the tantrum. The sad part is your getting all this attention and CP rewards it by giving it to you just as I am doing right now. Will it make any difference will you take the advice, or will you continue to post the same drivel over and over? As CPF mentioned the issue he took up with you is that you are not backing up your position, or claim with any quality insights, your just posting one liners to agitate or disrupt other peoples point of views.

Can you be fair and give some good points about GG to go with your "one-liners" as to add to the quality of the thread? I like some good things GG has done but maybe he can be stubborn with certain changes but I think he will get it right as he gains more experience.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 10-25-2017 at 09:24 AM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #97
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Our opinions are nothing alike. As owner of dissent I demand Backlunds Socks refrain from forming bad opinions about GG in my name.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #98
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't agree with baclunds socks but I do believe this site doesn't like dissenting views and posters are quickly dog piled for seemingly holding different views or something like grammar on a message board.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichKlit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #99
Biyaaaah
Draft Pick

I think GG is making good progression. The team was amongst the best in the NHL at the end of last season and looked good against Anaheim. Unfortunately we were buried by poor goaltending in the playoffs.

This year has started out much better than last and there is still a lot of room for improvement up and down the line up. The team has looked good on special teams and we move the puck out of our zone well which are all areas that coaching has a major influence on. The team seems to be getting more zone time and we're getting our opponents shots under control. Having a proven starting goalie in net for the 1st time since Kipper is gonna give the team so much confidence as the year moves on. I'd love to see a 3rd line centred by Janko with Bennett and Jagr on the wings. Brouwer and Versteeg on the 4th line with Stajan could create serious match up issues for other teams.
Biyaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #100
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
I don't agree with baclunds socks but I do believe this site doesn't like dissenting views and posters are quickly dog piled for seemingly holding different views or something like grammar on a message board.
I disagree that the site doesn't like dissenting views, but if you want to bring a viewpoint up that is different from a majority of posters then YOU need to be the one to back up your viewpoint.

I'll take Stajan for example, I've defended him a lot over the years on this board as he is an on and off whipping boy. I just make sure that my posts are using stats, examples and logical reasoning. It doesn't mean people still won't pile on, but the vast majority of posters here don't get on you if you can back up your position.

The dog piling happens when you get people posting dissenting opinions like "it's a FACT that GG is the worst coach ever in the NHL. If you can't see that then you don't know hockey" (not an actual quote from anyone but a type of post seen many, many times.) This is just poor form to claim your opinion is a Fact which basically says every who disagrees is dumb.

When someone posts Stajan is terrible and I respond with points/min, pk statistics, comparable then I don't get dog piled. If someone posts he is terrible and I respond that he is great because reasons, then yeah this board jumps all over that.

Bring an opinion, be prepared to defend it tangibly, especially if it is against the majority, and keep your mind open to change and this board will treat you just fine. As for grammar, it just shows respect to other posters to take the extra minute effort to reread your post and do your best to speak proper English.

As a side note, 10 games in I am over Stajan as an everyday player for this team and I still think GG's system can take this team far, as long as the players follow it.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post: