Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #61
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Then the players he is competing against need to step up and out perform him. This is their chance to shine and earn a shot with a NHL club, and they are letting some scrub not only steal the show, but steal their cheese. These guys should be stepping up, and they aren't. Don't crap on Glass for his inability to crack a roster last year, or even prior to that. Crap on our guys who aren't stepping up and grabbing opportunity by the nuts. That's a challenge to Hathaway, Hamilton, Poirier, Klimchuk, etc. The position is there for the taking and sadly the young guys aren't getting it done. I'm more disappointed in that than anything this camp.
True enough and young guys need playing time to get better which they won't get much of. I was hoping Poirier could jump start himself as the 13 th guy and work himself up into a full time gig all under the watchful eye of big ern
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #62
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There's not much room for him. I'd hope they aren't waiving Hathaway and potentially losing him to keep Glass. I'll take Hathaway's youth for that role over Glass every day.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #63
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Then the players he is competing against need to step up and out perform him. This is their chance to shine and earn a shot with a NHL club, and they are letting some scrub not only steal the show, but steal their cheese. These guys should be stepping up, and they aren't. Don't crap on Glass for his inability to crack a roster last year, or even prior to that. Crap on our guys who aren't stepping up and grabbing opportunity by the nuts. That's a challenge to Hathaway, Hamilton, Poirier, Klimchuk, etc. The position is there for the taking and sadly the young guys aren't getting it done. I'm more disappointed in that than anything this camp.
One: I think we have had a bunch of guys play very well. Jankowski, Klimchuk, Lomberg, Dube, etc.

Two: Ignoring previous seasons for a guy with 511 games played in the NHL in favor of a couple of preseason games against terrible teams would be ... not smart.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kehatch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #64
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. I would rather his position go to an organization developed player. He's had a good training camp playing against a lot of players that won't be in the NHL but he is what he is at this stage of his career and I don't see him stepping things up in the regular season. If they do sign him I'm not going to lose any sleep but I just don't see the point in signing a 33 year old depth player that doesn't have Versteeg-like offensive upside.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #65
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
There's not much room for him. I'd hope they aren't waiving Hathaway and potentially losing him to keep Glass. I'll take Hathaway's youth for that role over Glass every day.
I think most people agree, but so far Hathaway doesn't seem to want it as much.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #66
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
People are putting too much stock into a couple of preseason games. It indicates nothing as far as regular season success goes. Maybe Glass came more prepared to go 100% flat out from the start of camp but once the season starts and everyone gets their legs these things even out and he will be the same Tanner Glass that couldn't fetch a contract this offseason. As for Hathaway I can take him or leave him as I don't like him nearly as much as some other fans here. To me he looks like an AHL/NHL tweeter at best and more likely career AHL player but at least he has youth on his side and possibly there's more there as we know what Glass is.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #67
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Ok, maybe Tanner Glass isn't the hill I want to die on with that argument, but I see this kind of thing posted far too often to ignore it when I see it.
Yeah, I generally agree with your view. I was just nitpicking I guess. haha.

Stand up and be counted the next time someone says Lucic will barely be an NHLer by the end of his contract.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #68
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Hathaway has been great in literally every regular season game he's played and a much better choice than Glass.

Pre season games don't take away his resume to this point and they sure don't make Glass an nhler.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #69
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would wait and see on Glass (and Cramarossa for that matter). If after the first five games (which includes EDM, ANA and LA) team toughness becomes an issue, I would consider picking him up. I think it would be a mistake to pencil him into the opening lineup "just in case" we need a big body (I don't think we will).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #70
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
One: I think we have had a bunch of guys play very well. Jankowski, Klimchuk, Lomberg, Dube, etc.
One, Jankowski and Dube are not competing for this role, for different reasons. Klimchuk is not suited to this role. He is not going to be playing a hard-nosed game and drop his gloves when it matters. Lomberg is probably the best suited for this role, but does he have the game to do it yet? I don't think so. Lomberg has looked most effective on a line with, no surprise, Tanner Glass. I think he could learn a lot playing with Glass. Who knows, that may happen if th Flames sign him and his play tails off, resulting in Glass going to the minors.

Quote:
Two: Ignoring previous seasons for a guy with 511 games played in the NHL in favor of a couple of preseason games against terrible teams would be ... not smart.
It is training camp. For a young guy, it is their opportunity to come in and earn a position. Glass, while being an older player, is in that same boat. Glass is outplaying those young guys looking for a gig. It comes down to who wants it more, and as sad as it is to say, Glass is showing more and definitely wants it more. He's the only guy who consistently has produced enough broken eggs to make an omelette. The younger guys need to step their play up, or Glass gets a contract. I am not saying that Glass gets a long term deal with any associated expense, I'm saying he has earned a league minimum deal, a contract you can easily send to the minors if his play tails off.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #71
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One, Jankowski and Dube are not competing for this role, for different reasons. Klimchuk is not suited to this role. He is not going to be playing a hard-nosed game and drop his gloves when it matters.
Well the first issue we have, is whether "this role" should even be employed. Especially on a line removed from our star players. All "this role" really accomplishes is adding some staged fights and dragging down the other two players stuck on the fourth line. The idea of a "Sherriff" in today's NHL only makes sense if you've got guys like Tkachuk, Bennett and Ferland being the "Semenko" to a guy like Gaudreau or Monahan. Designated facepunchers have shown no correlation to the success of their team that I'm aware of. Last year's cup winners didn't employ one.

Quote:
Lomberg is probably the best suited for this role, but does he have the game to do it yet? I don't think so. Lomberg has looked most effective on a line with, no surprise, Tanner Glass. I think he could learn a lot playing with Glass.
I'd argue the opposite. Tanner Glass has looked most effective on a line with, no surprise, Ryan Lomberg. Who was the better hockey player in the same league (AHL) last year?

Ryan Lomberg was.

One guy is a guy you want to try out as your 13th forward in the NHL. One guy has blown ample opportunities to do so. Preseason doesn't mean ****.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #72
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the tangible, important question that is related to the OP is "Should we keep Tanner Glass in the NHL lineup and in return, send a prospect down to the AHL through waivers?"

Is Glass such a needed addition that he will replace a player who needs waivers to go to the AHL, forcing us to risk losing that player (however small the risk may be). It sounds like possibly, yeah. There really hasn't been a waiver eligible bubble player who has definitively displaced him, though that has yet to play out.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:06 PM   #73
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
One guy is a guy you want to try out as your 13th forward in the NHL. One guy has blown ample opportunities to do so. Preseason doesn't mean ****.
I don't disagree with the desire to give our own guys a chance. I'm a hughe proponent of that. I hate PTOs for that very reason. But once a PTO is extended I hope to see it provide some push for the kids and make them step up. The problem I see is no one really stepping up. Yes, Lomberg has been pretty decent, but here's the rub on Lomberg versus Glass. One guy is 6'2, 215 pounds, and the other guy is 5'9, 190 pounds.

I do think that there is a double standard when it comes to rookies and vets, and I get the hate of the preseason. But if preseason means ####, why bother having one? I'm increasingly seeing this as a wasted process, but if we are going to have it, shouldn't the guy that plays the hardest and is most effective win the position? I would love to see someone beat out Glass, but so far, no one is doing that. If you can't come into camp and beat out another guy, you shouldn't get your position, especially if you're a minor leaguer.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #74
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Give Tanner Glass a minor league deal. Sign an NHL deal later in year if you need him and if deserves it. I doubt any other team gives him an NHL contract right now.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #75
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One guy is 6'2, 215 pounds, and the other guy is 5'9, 190 pounds.
So ****ing what? The worst ""NHLers"" are usually 6'2", 215lbs. If you think that the management are prone to extremely poor decisions, sure. I agree, I watched this management protect Brandon Bollig while giving Paul Byron away and sign Troy Brouwer while letting a 55 point Hudler walk. But that says more about management than whether Tanner Glass "should" get a contract.

Quote:
But if preseason means ####, why bother having one? I'm increasingly seeing this as a wasted process, but if we are going to have it, shouldn't the guy that plays the hardest and is most effective win the position?
The point of preseason is for players to get their timing back, for starters. And no, preseason shouldn't override large sample sizes of regular season play. At best it should be a tiebreaker after accounting for large sample sizes of regular season play. And there is no tie to be broken.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 09-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #76
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, I watched this management protect Brandon Bollig while giving Paul Byron away and sign Troy Brouwer while letting a 55 point Hudler walk.
Who is this ‘55-point Hudler’ of whom you speak? The Hudler who played for the Flames scored 46 points in 2015-16, and followed it up with 11 points in 32 games last season. And the organization didn't let him walk, they traded him for a second-round pick (used to draft Tyler Parsons) and a fourth-round pick (waiting for 2018). Not a bad return for a guy who crashed and burned, and is now without a contract and probably out of the NHL for good.

Perhaps you're talking about some other Hudler who scored 55 points and then walked as a UFA. I confess I can't find any record of that guy.

Quote:
But that says more about management than whether Tanner Glass "should" get a contract.
Maybe it says more about your faulty memory than anything.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #77
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Who is this ‘55-point Hudler’ of whom you speak? The Hudler who played for the Flames scored 46 points in 2015-16, and followed it up with 11 points in 32 games last season. And the organization didn't let him walk, they traded him for a second-round pick (used to draft Tyler Parsons) and a fourth-round pick (waiting for 2018). Not a bad return for a guy who crashed and burned, and is now without a contract and probably out of the NHL for good.

Perhaps you're talking about some other Hudler who scored 55 points and then walked as a UFA. I confess I can't find any record of that guy.
Congrats on the technical correctness.

Hudler had 35 points in 53 games as a Flame. Which is a 54 point pace over 82 games. That was a season after scoring 76 points. At no point was he offered a contract extension. While he was traded, he was still a UFA the next offseason.

Last year injuries plagued him, but unless you're implying management has the gift of clairvoyance, that's not something that could have been predicted.

Finally, if Hudler "crashed and burned" out of the NHL (in an injury plagued season), that's still an upgrade on three more years of a "6'2, 215lbs" anvil.

This management absolutely values useless size over actual effectiveness. I wouldn't put it past them to sign Tanner Glass, but that doesn't mean they "should" sign Tanner Glass.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #78
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Hudler had 35 points in 53 games as a Flame. Which is a 54 point pace over 82 games. That was a season after scoring 76 points. At no point was he offered a contract extension. While he was traded, he was still a UFA the next offseason.

Last year injuries plagued him, but unless you're implying management has the gift of clairvoyance, that's not something that could have been predicted.

Finally, if Hudler "crashed and burned" out of the NHL (in an injury plagued season), that's still an upgrade on three more years of a "6'2, 215lbs" anvil.

This management absolutely values useless size over actual effectiveness. I wouldn't put it past them to sign Tanner Glass, but that doesn't mean they "should" sign Tanner Glass.
There are plenty of examples of mismanagement in any organization, including our own, but Hudler is a peculiar choice. It was pretty clear that Hudler was on the decline during his last year with us. Could have been injury, but he simply has never regained his form since, and if it was indeed an injury, some injuries are still career ending. Although he was a legitimate NHL player while he was with us, his stats benefited a great deal during the last year from playing situation and linemates, and was rarely driving the play. That trade was exceptional, especially in context of it being clear that the team would miss the playoffs, and Hudler's follow-up season. Most are not expecting to see him in the NHL this year, at least not in a meaningful role.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #79
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hudler was rapidly declining before his injuries. So yes his decline could be predicted. He was terrible on his final season as a Flames and his GAS meter was at zero
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #80
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hudler was going down hill and yes most of league knew it. Hudler signed a 1 year contract just before training camp started with the stars. That does not seem like a player that was sought after July 1st. It was a good thing the flames didn't re-sign Hudler.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote