Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #41
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Change nothing. Win 2 out of next 3 and they are right on the pace.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #42
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jagr mentioned the forwards aren't low enough in their zone, that's interesting. That suggests cheating offensively somewhat which would certainly add to their issues in their own zone.
This. And pretty sure GG isn't telling them to cheat and isn't telling Bennett to magic wand his stick at Skinner or Gaudreau to be already outside the blue line on the same play.

GG is not the problem. This team is full of players who are slow learners and slow starters.

GG isn't perfect but he's far from the problem.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #43
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Based on what? You can believe what you want - but what supports that point of view, apart from folks' somewhat irrational belief that GG is a bad coach?

Getting out played in very game thus far. Thats what.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #44
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
This. And pretty sure GG isn't telling them to cheat and isn't telling Bennett to magic wand his stick at Skinner or Gaudreau to be already outside the blue line on the same play.

GG is not the problem. This team is full of players who are slow learners and slow starters.

GG isn't perfect but he's far from the problem.
Seriously?

The entire team is full of slow learners or its the coach. I'd say its the coach rather then a collective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #45
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Seriously?

The entire team is full of slow learners or its the coach. I'd say its the coach rather then a collective.

Hockey is a fluid game. Even the best teams go through spurts where they make lots of mistakes. This coach blaming has gotten out of hand
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #46
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great quote from Gulutzan here. Credit to Kristen Odland from Twitter
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #47
Franchise Player

Exp:

When this team is playing the "system", they have been dominant. The problem is when the players deviate from they system or when they get lazy. There is a lot of laziness in the Flames game these days and there is no better evidence of this then in the penalties they take. You hook, slash, hold because it is easier than skating hard and overtaking your opposition. It takes less energy to swing your stick than to push your legs. I can't stand hooking, slashing and holding penalties because it is just pure laziness. Skate hard and push the puck carrier off the puck; that is how you are suppose to defend.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #48
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getting out played in very game thus far. Thats what.
So that means it is the coach and not the players? Why?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #49
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
So that means it is the coach and not the players? Why?
its the coaches job to motivate and organize they players. If a collective of 18 is failing its probably the one leader.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
its the coaches job to motivate and organize they players. If a collective of 18 is failing its probably the one leader.
Not all the players are failing. Some are playing very well.
At what point does it become the players' responsibility? Never?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #51
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think part of the problem is the guys in the room offering "intangibles" do not have the respect of their teammates.

I think Stajan and Brouwer get lip service from their teammates at best. Everyone in that room knows there are players who outplayed them in camp and thus far this season who are in the minors or in and out of the pressbox. And everyone knows that they are two have the 3rd and 6th highest cap hits on the forwards as well.

They should be producing. They aren't
Old 10-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #52
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I still think part of the problem is the guys in the room offering "intangibles" do not have the respect of their teammates.

I think Stajan and Brouwer get lip service from their teammates at best. Everyone in that room knows there are players who outplayed them in camp and thus far this season who are in the minors or in and out of the pressbox. And everyone knows that they are two have the 3rd and 6th highest cap hits on the forwards as well.

They should be producing. They aren't
Wow, are you a mind reader or someone who has been in the dressing room?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

GG said himself today that the problem he’s seeing is guys slipped back into bad habits over the summer. From what I gathered from his scrum, when the team turned it around, everyone “got” it and everyone was clicking, but now guys are making the same mistakes that GG had spent time fixing last season (you could tell it was frustrating). He doesn’t believe the record is comforting, but he does believe they’ll come out of it faster this season than last because it isn’t about learning the basics, it’s about re-committing to the application.

Honestly it’s a little embarrassing seeing people take GG over the goals and revert back to the stupid “he’s looking down!” stuff. We got over it last season when we saw the system working and it was great hockey to watch. Now, it seems like some posters are as lazy as the Flames, we know the that the system works, we’ve seen it, but now we just have to actually trust in it.

Watching fans constantly resort to blaming the coach when there is clear evidence that his plan makes this team successfully is frustrating, but the team will turn it around and threads like this will be full of crows to eat once again.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #54
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

this team is lazy, inconsistent and unfocused. Its not the system.

That said, I think a veteran coach would have a much easier time getting through to these players that they have to come to rink ready to play.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #55
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
this team is lazy, inconsistent and unfocused. Its not the system.

That said, I think a veteran coach would have a much easier time getting through to these players that they have to come to rink ready to play.
...and then he'd get tuned out the very next season...

GG isn't the problem. The problem is our guys can't win a fking race to the puck and/or battle to save their life and can't stay out of the penalty box. They're playing slow. When they're playing their A game they're fast, make quick effective passes, and all support each other as one unit.

I agree with you they're lazy, inconsistent and unfocused and that it's not the system.

Last edited by Stanley; 10-20-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #56
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After what we saw last year, I think Gulutzan has proven that his system and special teams aren’t the problem here. It’s very obvious that the players are the problem at the moment. They’re capable of so much more but certain players who are taking too many penalties right now are throwing the team out of rhythm. Also, this team doesn’t appear to be 100% in sync right now as you can see the passes are slightly off, shots are going way wide and players and team is icing the puck way too often.

If there’s one person who I will be critical of right now and it may not be popular because of how good of a job he’s done. But Brad Treliving and co are focusing on the wrong attributes. This whole playing an edge thing and truculence and competitiveness are all great, but what about team speed? This team is being lapped by faster teams and it’s so obvious that half this roster can’t seem to keep up. It’s like the game plan goes out the window because they’re constantly chasing the play and turning the puck over from the pressure. Management needs to change their mentality because I can see this story unfolding over and over and over again and this forum will be like a broken record.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #57
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Glen mentioned on the fan today about players having a bank account . Draw penalties and you have credit. Take penalties you lose credit.
The defence doesn't get to earn as much credit as they are already under water. Keep making mistakes and the puck is in the net..... That's what I took it to mean.

Does it take more of Jagr reasoning with his teammates?
Does Smith need to throw players under the bus Joey Mac style to wake people up?
Is Glenn to nice a guy to requote the Bruce Boudreau speech?

I wonder why we see this from every coach early on? They say they know what the issue is but the players don't translate it on the ice.

This is what I miss about Bob and his meritocracy. These guys aren't being held accountable at all.

Anyway, I hope they figure it out soon enough.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #58
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Does a good coach not adapt his system to match the strengths of the players he has?
Perhaps, but only if those attributes are strengths. You don't adapt to limited footspeed and minimal effort. Best to move on from those traits.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #59
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Is this organization prepared to put some vets on waivers if Gulutzan calls up Treliving and says half his bottom six has to go? Does Gulutzan make that phone call in the first place? Or will he give second, third, fourth chances again until it's staring the organization in the face? I have nothing but doubts, this organization clings to dead weight like there's no tomorrow.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #60
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Look, I'm not going to pretend to know anything about hockey systems like some of the posters on here but one thing is for sure, Glen Gulutzan hockey is not "fun" or "great" to watch. This isn't stretch pass, end to end rush, defense jumping into the play, high risk entertaining hockey like Bob Hartley.

And quite frankly, if the results are not there (and they're not so far) then I can totally understand why some fans are upset with the team. Also, with how many fans are upset, something must not be right.

Some may say we have a winning record but the fact of the matter is we shouldn't. We have been outplayed almost every single game so far this year. And we're not going to win many games when we're getting out shot and, more importantly, out chanced every game.

Like I said, I'm not going to pretend to know about systems, but something doesn't look right with this team.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote