Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Jagr mentioned the forwards aren't low enough in their zone, that's interesting. That suggests cheating offensively somewhat which would certainly add to their issues in their own zone.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jagr mentioned the forwards aren't low enough in their zone, that's interesting. That suggests cheating offensively somewhat which would certainly add to their issues in their own zone.
I like the desperation of Jagr to win.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

The wingers take forever to get to the boards...and very rarely win a puck battle.

And apparently we do not know the NHL face-off rules.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #24
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
And apparently we do not know the NHL face-off rules.
Neither do the officials.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #25
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

As much as I dislike GG's coaching, this team has played like garbage every other game so far this season. Coming out flat footed after an extended break is just unacceptable at this level. If guys don't want to play hard, that's fine -- enjoy the minors. Too many passengers in this group.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #26
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I can't think of a single team in the NHL that doesn't use it at some point. It's become commonplace.
I don't have a problem with the bump-back PP entry in itself... but the Flames' problem is that the first PP unit uses every single time; and it's always Johnny who's the carrier.

The Flames are too predictable on this and thus it is easy for opposing teams to cover. Attempt to pick off centre-ice the pass to Gaudreau; failing that, have all 4 defenders converge on him as he crosses the blue line.

We can still keep the bump-back pass in our toolbox; but we need to have other options available in order to keep opposition PK units guessing.

The second PP unit uses a variety of zone entry methods.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #27
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I strongly believe that we are getting out coached every game.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #28
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start benching players who take dumb penalties over and over. Bennett is good for at least 1 a game. Tkachuk at least draws as many as he takes, but the one he took last night hurt the team bad. Hartley had no fear benching top guys to send a message. Seems to me the only time a player is getting benched is he's not on special teams.

Coach needs to start proving it's unacceptable and actually start doing something about it. Were on pace for the 3rd year in a row of most penalized team in the league. Insanity.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #29
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think the biggest problem are the lines. The 3M line played great again last game. The only line going. And as a result, the flame have no flow to their game. The other lines were awful.

1) Jagr is too slow to play on line 1. He's also too slow for Bennett.
2) The 3M line is awesome
3) Versteeg has had a terrible start to the season.
4) The fourth line is too slow

Johnny Monahan Bennett
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Versteeg Jankowski Jagr
Ferland Lazar Brouwer

Stajan
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #30
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Start benching players who take dumb penalties over and over. Bennett is good for at least 1 a game. Tkachuk at least draws as many as he takes, but the one he took last night hurt the team bad. Hartley had no fear benching top guys to send a message. Seems to me the only time a player is getting benched is he's not on special teams.

Coach needs to start proving it's unacceptable and actually start doing something about it. Were on pace for the 3rd year in a row of most penalized team in the league. Insanity.
Gulutzan said on this:

"It feels like to me it’s the same guys taking penalties, the same types of penalties, and those guys are gonna dress but unfortunately they’re going to lose some of their prime real estate ice time because we’ll just clean it up with the guys that can control themselves"
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #31
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get it. Bennett has not been good and he deserves to be on the first line??? Lazar had to earn a spot by having a good game, but Bennett gets it because he was drafted high?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #32
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one doubts Bennetts skill, but because he is concentrating so hard on the defensive aspects of being a centre, when he heads to the offensive he is gripping the stick awfully hard.

Some of the thought of putting him on the first line is that is where he can most easily prove himself on his existing skill set. We have always wanted someone to wreak havok for Johnny and Mony, create space and have a little finish. Bennett is already that guy.

Where he is having issues is that he clearly idolizes guys like Bergeron and Backlund, and wants to be a complete player. That's a difficult path.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #33
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to me that the team is built to be more of a possession team than the style that we are currently playing. Watching a game constantly reminds me of two things...

The first is the Gary Roberts story about Makarov glaring at him every time he would dump and chase. Sergei couldn't understand why you would give the puck to the other team, when you already had possession.

The other is from Moneyball, when Beane built the team to smallball wins, and the coach refused to change his lineup. So Beane traded all of the coaches favorite players for trading cards and a washing machine, forcing the coach to change systems.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I strongly believe that we are getting out coached every game.
Based on what? You can believe what you want - but what supports that point of view, apart from folks' somewhat irrational belief that GG is a bad coach?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #35
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
No one doubts Bennetts skill, but because he is concentrating so hard on the defensive aspects of being a centre, when he heads to the offensive he is gripping the stick awfully hard.

Some of the thought of putting him on the first line is that is where he can most easily prove himself on his existing skill set. We have always wanted someone to wreak havok for Johnny and Mony, create space and have a little finish. Bennett is already that guy.

Where he is having issues is that he clearly idolizes guys like Bergeron and Backlund, and wants to be a complete player. That's a difficult path.
Right now he hasn't earned any opportunity for first line minutes. In fact because of his ongoing issues with penalties I strongly suspect we will see him have very reduced minutes until he proves he can play a full game without taking at least one idiotic minor.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #36
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Say what you will about Hartley but even if they came out flat he would have them coming out guns blazing by the third. This group wanted a players coach but now they just mail it in consistently only reason we have won any games is Mike Smith. With this roster that’s a joke. They need a bit of a boot in arse if you ask me. Probably should of had GG as An assistant to help with systems and continued to have Hartley there yelling at them about chocolate or whatever Stockton is known for.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #37
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
####ing blow it up and trade everyone, Guy Fawkes the Saddledome and bee line it to Seattle
You want to turn the Saddledome into a catholic ethno-state?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #38
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

System is fine. Effort is the issue. Effort will correct lazy penalties and compliment their system.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #39
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
pfft - what does he know about winning hockey games?

I sell the team to mr ducksworth, draft a few of those kids and go with the flying V
Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #40
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Effort is a bigger problem than system right now. I believe GG leaves the players options to be creative within the offence
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote