Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
SebC
tromboner

Exp:
Default World Cup GDT: July 8th - Brazil vs Germany 2:00 PM

Tuesday, July 8th

Semifinal:

2:00 PM Brazil (Group A winner, 2-1-0, 2) vs. Germany (Group G winner, 2-1-0, 3) (match video link)

Numbers in brackets are group stage finish, and W-D-L in the group stage, and FIFA ranking.

Bracket:
Spoiler!

Last edited by SebC; 07-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 AM   #2
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So happy that I get to watch this one in primetime at home instead of being stuck at work.

Entschuldigung Brasilien, Deutschland über alles!
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a true test for Fred and Hulk, they need to do more than just create space now.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Auf gehts, Deutschland, auf gehts!
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be trying to watch parts of the game during work this afternoon. I'm too impatient to try and avoid the score until tonight. 11 vs 80,000. This will be a very hostile environment towards the Germans. I'd like to see the same lineup as the quarterfinal, perhaps with Schurrle starting in place of Oezil. I also think Klose makes history today. Should be a doozy of a game. Deutschland!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You just know that Brazil is going to get some favourable calls in this one.
Burke Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Neuer is going to have to earn his money today.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nervous for this game. Think Brazil will pump Germany, just need that first goal so the Germans don't suck the life out of the game like a Italian team would.

I think the Neymar injury is going to force the forwards to play better today, and more of a cohesive game instead of sending long balls to Neymar. As mucha s it sucks having Neymar out, this might be good for the team to play more of a Brazil type game of passing and attacking instead of find Neymar he will do it himself.

The big issue is Silva out, the guy is a monster. Hopefully Dante can fill his shoes enough to get us through today.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke Salad View Post
You just know that Brazil is going to get some favourable calls in this one.
Considering that it's the well-studied effect of a home crowd in pretty much every sport, yeah, it is to be expected
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Germany would do well to try and leave no doubt at the end, being up 3-0 would be a good place to be. And really they should win 3 or 4-0. They're the best team left and it doesn't even feel like they've played their A game yet.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Germany would do well to try and leave no doubt at the end, being up 3-0 would be a good place to be. And really they should win 3 or 4-0. They're the best team left and it doesn't even feel like they've played their A game yet.
I doubt that. It would be nice to see, but they're playing the hosts. This is likely going to be a very tight game.

Besides, the Germans were always going to have trouble scoring after losing most of their strikers before the tournament.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The key thing to see in the first 5 minutes. Does Fernandinho kick someone? If so what does the ref do about it? It's happened the last 2 games.

Against Chile, he kicked Sanchez in the first minute and referee Webb called a foul but didn't show a yellow. It allowed the Chileans to get in a free shot and that's how Neymar got his first injury (knee). In the Colombia game, he kicked James right away and the Spanish ref called nothing which turned the game into a foul fest and the Colombians finally got fed up and broke Neymar's back.

Germans are not South Americans...what happens when Fernandinho kicks someone today?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Germans are not South Americans...what happens when Fernandinho kicks someone today?
If he kicks Muller, prepare to see the biggest temper tantrum ever thrown on the world stage.

Coming into this tournament, all I wanted was for neither Germany or Brazil to win, now one of these slimy teams is guaranteed to make it to the finals. Guess I will cheer for Brazil on this one...
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
Think Brazil will pump Germany
Pump = easily beat? Out of curiosity, what makes you think that?

Even with Neymar and Silva this has been the most underwhelming and least intimidating Brazilian team in my memory. If they weren't the home team the Germans would be hot favourites for this one.

As it is, this game for me is a complete coin flip.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Pump = easily beat? Out of curiosity, what makes you think that?

Even with Neymar and Silva this has been the most underwhelming and least intimidating Brazilian team in my memory. If they weren't the home team the Germans would be hot favourites for this one.

As it is, this game for me is a complete coin flip.
They are playing with the emotion of the entire nation, and they will go hard and play for Neymar. Plus this team reminds of Team Canada at the Olympics which got picked on daily on how they won, but they won and it was dominating effort on the defensive end. The Brazil team has yet to dominate a team, but they have played well and won the games they have needed to.

The World Cup is coming home to Brazil.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #16
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Even with Neymar and Silva this has been the most underwhelming and least intimidating Brazilian team in my memory.
To me this is the strongest Brazilian squad since 2002, and certainly has been looking much better than they did in 2006 and 2010.

The Germans are still a bit of a question mark, but I think they're the favourites as long as Löw doesn't make a mess of the midfield again. Which is about 50/50 chance.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
To me this is the strongest Brazilian squad since 2002, and certainly has been looking much better than they did in 2006 and 2010.

The Germans are still a bit of a question mark, but I think they're the favourites as long as Löw doesn't make a mess of the midfield again. Which is about 50/50 chance.
the 2006 team was incredible. It took a moment of magic from Zidane and Henry to beat them.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #18
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without Silva this version of Brazil will be in trouble.

He really is the glue that holds that team together, he is so solid in the backline that it allows their wing backs and Luiz to push up which makes them effective. Germany may be able to take advantage of their back line without him.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
the 2006 team was incredible. It took a moment of magic from Zidane and Henry to beat them.
The 2006 team had talent but it was far from incredible, and France dominated them in the game they mustered 1 shot on net.

This 2014 team has the strongest backline in the tournament, the midfield is probably a bit weaker, but Klberson was a nobody as well, Gustavo has been pretty solid along with Fernandhino. Oscar had a moment of brilliance against Croatia and has fallen back to earth and really not doing a lot since then.

Kaka was a one of a kind midfielder and he was unable to gel with the Brazilian squads in 2006 and 2010. I just think this is a better team then individuals. Hulk and Fred wouldn't crack any Brazil team from 2006 and 2010 or any other squad for that matter. They have to step it up today thats for sure.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #20
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Maybe. Ronaldo and Adriano up front. Droooool.

This team builds from the back out.

Tags
debacle , diving , monumental proportions , pumped , tears and writhing