Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #21
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edmonton or Tampa....tough call
Old 08-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Edmonton or Tampa....tough call
Why does everyone think that were his only two options? Yes, he had his best year playing in Edmonton on Connor's wing, but there are 31 teams in the league he could have signed with. I'm shocked he signed so low and only for one year. I would have thought he could have at the very least got 2 x $1.5MM. Last year, his one-year $1.75MM contract with the Blues was considered a hometown discount to be with his kid. It makes me wonder if there is a knock against him that is not well known.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Why does everyone think that were his only two options? Yes, he had his best year playing in Edmonton on Connor's wing, but there are 31 teams in the league he could have signed with. I'm shocked he signed so low and only for one year. I would have thought he could have at the very least got 2 x $1.5MM. Last year, his one-year $1.75MM contract with the Blues was considered a hometown discount to be with his kid. It makes me wonder if there is a knock against him that is not well known.
Interest was tepid last season as well. He's a 31 year old big man coming off a 28 point season that's not very fleet of foot. Given the Lucic's, Neal's, Brouwers have all fallen off cliffs at this age it appears teams are starting to wise up when it comes to 30+ year old players that can no longer keep up to the ever increasing pace of the NHL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #24
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Also Edmonton was the only team to have been reportedly interested in signing Maroon right up until Tampa did it.

So its not that everyone thinks those were his options, those were two of the only options ever associated with him publicly. And one only came to light when he signed.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Also Edmonton was the only team to have been reportedly interested in signing Maroon right up until Tampa did it.

So its not that everyone thinks those were his options, those were two of the only options ever associated with him publicly. And one only came to light when he signed.
It has been reported that he had more than a half dozen job opportunities and that he was looking for term.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-august-14-2019/
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
It has been reported that he had more than a half dozen job opportunities and that he was looking for term.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-august-14-2019/
Fair enough. Missed that report. Only saw Rishaug's.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who assumed this?

He still chose TB over Edmonton (and possibly others)

again, wow tough call
Old 08-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #28
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a good depth signing, they have done well this off season
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 PM   #29
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with your post, its a little on the strange side that this guy can't land a million dollar contract a mere 60 days post cup victory. I get his speed and some of the knocks on him as a player but we did see that grit, size and some skill can be really handy come playoff time.

Maybe his agent is NO GOOD. The whole reason for the $1.75 million deal was he was betting on himself landing a bigger deal with a solid season in St. Louis. Normally you don't lose half your salary in a year you just won a cup so who the hell knows? Solid signing and he might very well win a second cup.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 07:09 AM   #30
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

he played in 100 games last season. If you were to count the number of games that he had an impact, you could start by counting on your fingers, and it's unlikely you would need any of your toes
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 AM   #31
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Maroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
he played in 100 games last season. If you were to count the number of games that he had an impact, you could start by counting on your fingers, and it's unlikely you would need any of your toes
That little impact got him a ring. Don't see any impact Flames wearing a ring.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
What do the Flames have to do with Maroon?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #33
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

That kind of follows, I guess. Your point being that guys like him help to win championships where Calgary is missing them?

I agree in principle that Calgary really lacks the tough, playoff intense players that put you over the top, but I don't agree Maroon is still one of those guys and his being on St. Louis was beneficial to him getting a Cup rather than the other way around.

He looks super slow and almost done when he plays, in my eyes.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #34
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Maroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What do the Flames have to do with Maroon?
Obviously, last year they needed somebody like him to get a ring. If, they're lucky Lucic should fill that role.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #35
Scooter
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Marron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That kind of follows, I guess. Your point being that guys like him help to win championships where Calgary is missing them?

I agree in principle that Calgary really lacks the tough, playoff intense players that put you over the top, but I don't agree Maroon is still one of those guys and his being on St. Louis was beneficial to him getting a Cup rather than the other way around.

He looks super slow and almost done when he plays, in my eyes.
Hope Lucic rebounds and doesn't look slow and washed up again this year.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #36
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously, last year they needed somebody like him to get a ring. If, they're lucky Lucic should fill that role.
Yeah, totally. The Flames' lack of after whistle shoving ability cost them the cup. Obviously.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote