Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2019, 12:01 AM   #261
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
His D zone play is great. He has to be a little easier zone entry because his speed isn't top notch, so he can't play as tight in the neutral zone. He's still probably at least the second best defensive defenceman on the team. Subtract him and who is it.
Good lord. The things people bitch about Brodie for are the consequences of higher risk offensive play.

Hamonic is not the second best defender on this team, unless being offensively mediocre is a qualification

The coaches point out how often they use Brodie as an example. And I tell you, when I have watched Flames practices and they do little 1 on 1 drills in the corner, you can see and appreciate how Brodie uses mobility and positioning rather than brute strength to stifle forwards.

Hamonic is more like Russell than people may want to admit

And Derek Engelland was underrated

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 08-04-2019 at 12:04 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #262
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Good lord. The things people bitch about Brodie for are the consequences of higher risk offensive play.

Hamonic is not the second best defender on this team, unless being offensively mediocre is a qualification

The coaches point out how often they use Brodie as an example. And I tell you, when I have watched Flames practices and they do little 1 on 1 drills in the corner, you can see and appreciate how Brodie uses mobility and positioning rather than brute strength to stifle forwards.

Hamonic is more like Russell than people may want to admit

And Derek Engelland was underrated
Wait, are you saying that (a) Brodie is better than Hamonic defensively and (b) Hamonic is not the second best defender on the team?

Brodie can skate but he doesn't stifle forwards. They may well use him to demo in practice, but he doesn't bring it as often in games.

Someone is being underrated here, but it's not Engelland.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #263
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This is currently the front page story on TSN.ca

https://www.tsn.ca/stone-buyout-a-mi...ames-1.1347406

Slow news day.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #264
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

The buyout isn't surprising at all - the game has passed Stone by as he is incapable of moving the puck forward in any controlled fashion, resulting in the team defending wave after wave when he is on the ice after he punts the puck back to the other team. Treliving got blinded by his admiration for a player he was familiar with from his time with the Coyotes and overpaid, both in trade and in re-signing, and then had to admit his error with the bailout.

When I first heard the signing I mistakenly thought it was $3.5 million over 3 years and thinking while the price was right, the term was a year too long. At $3.5 million per, though, the signing was bizarre and had little to no chance of being anything other than a large over commitment for the duration. Especially strange given Stone's struggles during his 19-game audition prior to signing.

Worst then the signing itself though was the timing. During the free agent interview window no other teams reached out to Stone, yet the Flames rushed in to get him signed and in turn gave up a fifth-round pick for absolutely no reason instead of waiting another day. A small price to pay but giving any pick away for no reason is stupid.

All in all a puzzling cascade of events all for a replacement level defenseman.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #265
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Last edited by IrishSpring2013; 03-28-2020 at 11:15 AM.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:56 PM   #266
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

#montholdnews

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #267
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting series of bumps by one of the better posters on the board...
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote