Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2022, 01:39 PM   #1881
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
"Available exclusively to the Canadian Forces Snowbirds Alumni."

Are you? 'Cause that's pretty cool.
Many moons ago!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 06:18 PM   #1882
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Anyone know about Momentum watches? Thinking of picking this up but dont know the brand at all.

https://ca.momentumwatch.com/product...42857768648928
I know they're a local Vancouver based brand.
Haven't looked at them closely to know about quality, movements etc.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:50 PM   #1883
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone know about Momentum watches? Thinking of picking this up but dont know the brand at all.

https://ca.momentumwatch.com/product...42857768648928
It's a rolex homage watch with most likely Chinese parts & case and cheaper swiss quartz movement in it which ticks and requires a battery. It's not anything decent horologically speaking but it does have a cool factor if you were part of the Snowbirds. I would treat this more like a commemorative souvenir item than any solid time piece. I would get it just so that if someone asked, you could say that you were in the Canadian Forces Snowbirds.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-31-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2022, 06:51 PM   #1884
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Really, Watchmakers' just have to start charging a richer premium for their craftsmanship. Today, when I need to have a watch serviced, I bring it over to the fellas over at Alberta Time (up the escalator from Umbertos'). They knew my grandfather, give great service, & are reasonably priced.

Speaking of vintage pieces, I should go to the Bank Lock Box, and take some pics of the old pocket watches. There's Howard's in there, 100+ yrs old.
I watch a lot of watch restorations on Youtube and there are a lot of self-taught guys on there who are excellent but I know they have practiced on hundreds of watches to get to where they are without breaking things or losing parts. They also have thousands of dollars worth of Swiss Bergeron tools.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #1885
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's a rolex homage watch with most likely Chinese parts & case and cheaper swiss quartz movement in it which ticks and requires a battery. It's not anything decent horologically speaking but it does have a cool factor if you were part of the Snowbirds. I would treat this more like a commemorative souvenir item than any solid time piece. I would get it just so that if someone asked, you could say that you were in the Canadian Forces Snowbirds.
That's kinda what I was thinking it looks like a nice piece but probably nothing more than a souvenier.

I already have this one https://www.fratellowatches.com/is-t...all-time/#gref but it needs a service and the glowy parts have stained due to some moisture ingress. I came in out of the cold one day and the bezel had fogged up. Breitling can't replace the Snowbird face and offered me a traditional one so it's going to remain tainted.

I was a technician on the team back in 95-96, spent two years on the road travelling Canada and the US. It was quite the gig as back then it was a self sustained Sqn with only 11 pilots and 10 techs.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #1886
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Now that is a cool watch! I'm sure you can get that serviced without messing with the dial - it looks incredible as is.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2022, 08:09 AM   #1887
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Now that is a cool watch! I'm sure you can get that serviced without messing with the dial - it looks incredible as is.
Yes it is very nice and I have worn it a lot. They can service it and leave the face alone I just haven't sent it in yet. I tried during covid but never heard back from Breitling. They have some online application then they send you a shipping carton but it didn't work when I tried.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:03 AM   #1888
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
That's kinda what I was thinking it looks like a nice piece but probably nothing more than a souvenier.

I already have this one https://www.fratellowatches.com/is-t...all-time/#gref but it needs a service and the glowy parts have stained due to some moisture ingress. I came in out of the cold one day and the bezel had fogged up. Breitling can't replace the Snowbird face and offered me a traditional one so it's going to remain tainted.

I was a technician on the team back in 95-96, spent two years on the road travelling Canada and the US. It was quite the gig as back then it was a self sustained Sqn with only 11 pilots and 10 techs.

The numbers could be relumed by a skilled watch maker with luminous paint and a fine brush but FYI, Rolexes with the burnt in tritium lume go for quite a bit. Some people like that aged look, it's called patina.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #1889
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That is a wonderful watch!!
Such a classic and to have a snowbird version with your story attached to it, amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #1890
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Recently purchased this Citizen Nighthawk Eco-Drive.

As a bit of a backstory, I was mulling over spending the money on Flames playoff tickets for game 2 - but my wife was indifferent to going and my son was supposed to go watch the game with his buds. So I decided to invest the money in something tangible and less expensive than the tickets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you liking this watch? I've been eyeing this one myself for a while.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #1891
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The Swatch Store in Chinook closed. Maybe they should have let them sell the Moonswatch there!
Old 06-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #1892
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Swatch Store in Chinook closed. Maybe they should have let them sell the Moonswatch there!
Is the store closed for renovations or permanently closed?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #1893
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that they didn't distribute some inventory to each of the stores pisses me off.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:25 PM   #1894
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The fact that they didn't distribute some inventory to each of the stores pisses me off.
Even if they did, you would have had to camp out and avoid getting stabbed to get one. Not worth it for a toy.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #1895
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're not limited production though, so eventually you'd be able to just walk in and get one locally. I don't need things the very first day they come out, and not being able to certainly would have paid dividends for people not wanting to look like a member of the Blue Man Group.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:53 PM   #1896
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's been like 3 months since the Moonswatch launch and there is no restock in sight. If Swatch don't make them available again soon the fad will die down and no one will care...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:28 PM   #1897
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
How are you liking this watch? I've been eyeing this one myself for a while.
My only criticism is that it does not have a night light, nor do the numbers or hands glow. Otherwise, it is not chunky on my wrist. For the price of $250 or so, it was a reasonably priced addition to the fleet.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #1898
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a consultant to local government and my associate and I were driving to see a client yesterday. He pulls up his sleeve and shows me his $18,500 new-to-him Rolex Bluesy. We’re driving in his dented beater car; he doesn’t care about cars. I said that his watch is worth more than his car.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #1899
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m a consultant to local government and my associate and I were driving to see a client yesterday. He pulls up his sleeve and shows me his $18,500 new-to-him Rolex Bluesy. We’re driving in his dented beater car; he doesn’t care about cars. I said that his watch is worth more than his car.
Not only is it worth more than his car, but over time it will be worth more than the $18,500 he paid.

My Rolex 114300 has more than doubled in value from what I paid for it, and I'm up ~40% on both my SuperOcean Heritage (38mm) and my Speedy Pro 3572.50. His car in pristine condition would still be worth bugger all relative to what he paid to buy it (save for this weird time when used cars suddenly appreciated due to supply chain issues).
Old 06-15-2022, 02:07 PM   #1900
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's already worth more than what he paid for it. He called a store and was told they'd buy it for $23,000. He's not selling. Yet.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post: