Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #1801
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey, what do you guys think of this I'm considering as my first real upgraded watch (Longines HydroConquest):

Couple things: it's 44mm, although you can get it in a smaller size. Keep in mind I'm a big guy with huge hands. A small watch looks pretty funny on me and if I use my Samsung Galaxy Active 2 as a size comparable (it's also 44mm), it looks totally normal on me. This is much chunkier, though, so who knows. I haven't tried it on yet.

Also, are you able to look at those lugs and know if a NATO strap would work with that watch? It's like the steel strap goes so close to the case that I'm not sure how the pin situation would work. Adding to that, would a NATO strap look reasonable on this? I love the look of, like, a Submariner with a NATO strap, but I don't know if all divers can pull that off. I would want to be able to swap back and forth between both types of straps.

Finally, even though I'm big and my hands are big and my wrist is reasonably big, is 44mm just totally dooshy? I'm not looking to impress anybody with this thing, but I don't want to stand out as super gaudy, either.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:35 PM   #1802
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

44mm isn't too big at all, that's a pretty reasonable size. I think the obnoxiously big stuff is closer to 50mm.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #1803
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Agreed. You'll be fine with 44mm. I have a 38, 44, 45, and 45.5 and none of my watches overpower my wrist size.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #1804
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A quick google image search shows plenty with NATO bands.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #1805
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also agree 44mm is fine on a bigger wrist. Don't see why a nice NATO wouldn't look good on that thing. Swapping straps is part of the fun of nice watches.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #1806
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
A quick google image search shows plenty with NATO bands.
What's a google?

Okay, thanks. Why didn't I google that myself? I have no idea hah
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #1807
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Am I the only one who thinks Rolex are ugly? Big chonky steel things. The fact that they’re only available to a certain “class” of person doesn’t make them any more appealing.

Edit: I know there are Rolex watches that aren’t like I described. I’m talking about the ones I seem to see most often. The Cellini is quite nice.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 01-12-2022 at 03:15 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:13 PM   #1808
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Rolex are ugly? Big chonky steel things. The fact that they’re only available to a certain “class” of person doesn’t make them any more appealing.
I don't know, man. You go down the rabbit hole of YouTube videos and it keeps coming back to them for all these reviewers, it seems. There is something about them to anybody who seems to encounter them. I'd love to spend a bit of time with one. I don't find them to be ugly at all.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:14 PM   #1809
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Quick question - Do grey sellers = resellers / flippers? Much like kids buying up Air Jordans can resell them at a premium?

One thing I don't want to go to the reseller route other than paying a premium is that I don't want to get fakes or watches built with chop-shop parts (because I am a watch noob and can't tell the subtle differences). That's why I will never buy a high-price item from eBay sellers or unknown shops and only want to go the AD route, even I have to wait for years. That being said, who are some of the reputable Canadian resellers?
Keep in mind you'll pay extra duties if you buy from an out of country seller and have to import.

I suggest checking Chrono24 to determine the model you want and expected price ranges as they're the largest resale site online.

You may then want to find that model somewhere local to avoid duties but knowing the pricing to expect.

I like to keep an eye on Time & Golds inventory here in Vancouver. Legitimate retail store you can buy from in person with confidence.
https://www.timegold.ca/pre-owned

Not sure if Calgary has any similar shops.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:21 PM   #1810
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't know, man. You go down the rabbit hole of YouTube videos and it keeps coming back to them for all these reviewers, it seems. There is something about them to anybody who seems to encounter them. I'd love to spend a bit of time with one. I don't find them to be ugly at all.
The experience of using one is entirely a different thing. The movement is second to none I’m sure. The styling just isn’t for me.

I love watching Antiques roadshow and they often have old guys who bought them while serving in the military in Europe for hundreds of dollars and they’re now worth 100x what they paid for it. That’s cool but those aren’t the type of people buying them now.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #1811
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
The experience of using one is entirely a different thing. The movement is second to none I’m sure. The styling just isn’t for me.

I love watching Antiques roadshow and they often have old guys who bought them while serving in the military in Europe for hundreds of dollars and they’re now worth 100x what they paid for it. That’s cool but those aren’t the type of people buying them now.
I hear you. I also love when the old army guys show their old watches with receipts and everything.

I'm sure there are a brand or two anyone of us could go into a store today and buy that will be worth 100x it's value in 60 years, but I certainly wouldn't know what to look for. Probably a bunch of it is just pure luck.

Rolex as an aspirational purchase is awesome. As an impossible purchase it's a bit of an eye roll.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #1812
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Based on their demand, I thought I was the only one that didn't care for the big bezel Rolexes like the Submariner or GMT Master.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:57 PM   #1813
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As others chimed in with, yeah NATO straps will work all day on the Hydro.

Still in the Longines family is an under rated watch in my opinion, the Longines Legend Diver. It's a 42mm watch so it would probably still fit your massive hands and wrist. Inner rotating timing bezel and comes in some nice variations of dial colour. The steel bracelet is not my favorite, but it looks great on straps and NATO's.

https://www.longines.com/en-ca/watch...-l3-774-4-50-0
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:06 PM   #1814
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Edit: I know there are Rolex watches that aren’t like I described. I’m talking about the ones I seem to see most often. The Cellini is quite nice.
The Submariner and GMT -- the 'Sports watches' -- never used to be big and chunky like they are today.

Take the Submariner for example; do an image search of the Rolex 16610. Now in another tab, do an image search of the Rolex 116610. Note how the indices on the dial, case lugs, and crownguards are smaller on the 16610, while they're big, chunky, and in-your-face on the 116610. That's the model when Rolex introduced the 'Maxi case' and 'Maxi dial' to their normal production lineup for Submariner. This happened on the GMT Master II between the 16710 and 116710 models too.

Sadly, if you want a Rolex sports watch that isn't a big chunky bastard, you're stuck looking at other models, or the second-hand market for five-digit models.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 04:10 PM   #1815
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The Submariner and GMT -- the 'Sports watches' -- never used to be big and chunky like they are today.

Take the Submariner for example; do an image search of the Rolex 16610. Now in another tab, do an image search of the Rolex 116610. Note how the indices on the dial, case lugs, and crownguards are smaller on the 16610, while they're big, chunky, and in-your-face on the 116610. That's the model when Rolex introduced the 'Maxi case' and 'Maxi dial' to their normal production lineup for Submariner. This happened on the GMT Master II between the 16710 and 116710 models too.

Sadly, if you want a Rolex sports watch that isn't a big chunky bastard, you're stuck looking at other models, or the second-hand market for five-digit models.
You're speaking Greek to me but I appreciate anyone who geeks out on something like you do.

My friend has a Rolex that was his grandpa's. I don't remember the model but it almost looks like a women's watch it's so tiny.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:11 PM   #1816
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most mens watches have grown quite dramatically in the last 20-30 years. JFK wore a Cartier Tank, which by today's standards is a woman's watch.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:20 PM   #1817
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
As others chimed in with, yeah NATO straps will work all day on the Hydro.

Still in the Longines family is an under rated watch in my opinion, the Longines Legend Diver. It's a 42mm watch so it would probably still fit your massive hands and wrist. Inner rotating timing bezel and comes in some nice variations of dial colour. The steel bracelet is not my favorite, but it looks great on straps and NATO's.

https://www.longines.com/en-ca/watch...-l3-774-4-50-0
Very nice.

I thought maybe I should add a punch of colour because my other watches are black and I mostly wear black, so maybe blue will be fun to have. I'm still kind of new to watches, so I'm not super confident in my judgement, though.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #1818
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a couple of Rolexes.

I wore a standard GMT master for 30 years. Then it started running slow - 5 - 10 minutes slow. Bothered me no end.

Interesting story - my Dad was doing a real estate appraisal for a jeweler back in '79. While he was delivering the report, a guy walks in, put a Rolex box on the counter and says "sorry, can't cover the payments anymore." and walk out. Jeweler turns to my dad and says "want a Rolex, half paid for already?" Dad sets up a long term payment plan and gifts me the watch in '86.

Of course it's not as pictured. And I still have to roll the whole thing over to adjust the date every other month.

Wore a sea dweller submariner 2000 for a while. Then it started running 5-10 minutes fast!?!?
Bothered me no end.

I inherited a gold Datejust one from my Grandfather. Wore it for a while. But I hate that I can barely see it in a dark room.

Now I am wearing an Omega. It has a stopwatch feature I never use. I don't like the multiple dials. And, it is old enough that I have to wind it every day.

I know the real problem is that all my Rolexes need to be serviced. But at $1,000 for service I don't know when I'll be able to afford it.

At this stage I'd settle for a Timex, but I'm too snobby to wear a cheap watch, and too cheap to buy a really expensive one.

(I tired to post pics. But was I don't know how to make them suitable for a post. The system keeps telling me my post has too many characters, by like 100,000.)

Last edited by Bleeding Red; 01-12-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #1819
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

NM

Last edited by Bleeding Red; 01-12-2022 at 04:48 PM.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:31 PM   #1820
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Very nice.

I thought maybe I should add a punch of colour because my other watches are black and I mostly wear black, so maybe blue will be fun to have. I'm still kind of new to watches, so I'm not super confident in my judgement, though.
Yeah making a decision is difficult especially in this price bracket. There's a lot of really great options. Have a look at Oris too for similarly priced and different styles of dive watch.

I always recommend to people to try on as many as they can prior to making a purchase if they're at all unsure. If you go to Calgary Jewellery on 17th ave SW, you can try on both the Hydroquest and the Legend Diver as well as a few other brands in that range. Ask for Christina and she will take care of you. She knows her stuff and isn't pushy at all.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post: