Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2023, 09:29 AM   #2041
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't wear it tight.

I've been reading some amazon reviews of my watch and lo and behold, people have complained about the same thing saying its a fantastic watch, but the steel bracelet detaches. Most people changed to NATO or other strap.

Likely, I'll go down this path and replace the strap.

Then one day buy a big boy diver like a Seamaster with a steel band, although a green face Sub would be the dream.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 09:45 AM   #2042
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I don't wear it tight.

I've been reading some amazon reviews of my watch and lo and behold, people have complained about the same thing saying its a fantastic watch, but the steel bracelet detaches. Most people changed to NATO or other strap.

Likely, I'll go down this path and replace the strap.

Then one day buy a big boy diver like a Seamaster with a steel band, although a green face Sub would be the dream.
Strange. I have a 46mm CEM75001B Mako that I basically abuse but I've never had a pin issue. I assumed the wings help with reducing the strain on that last pin.

I know there's tons of complaints about that bracelet being loud, but I don't recall hearing about the steel bracelet detaching. Sucks to hear that's what you're dealing with. Hopefully you are able to find a good solution.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 10:46 AM   #2043
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Strange. I have a 46mm CEM75001B Mako that I basically abuse but I've never had a pin issue. I assumed the wings help with reducing the strain on that last pin.

I know there's tons of complaints about that bracelet being loud, but I don't recall hearing about the steel bracelet detaching. Sucks to hear that's what you're dealing with. Hopefully you are able to find a good solution.
I'm gonna buy a repair kit and fix my goddam self. See if that works first.

It's only one side that detaches - the other side has been rock solid since day one and I've had this watch probably since 2014ish.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #2044
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm gonna buy a repair kit and fix my goddam self. See if that works first.

It's only one side that detaches - the other side has been rock solid since day one and I've had this watch probably since 2014ish.
When you do, maybe also spend time checking to see if there's something inside the hole (ie: dirt, shard of metal etc.) that keeps the spring pin from going all the way in?

I've had mine since 2015 and I agree it's an awesome watch. It's so damn durable and water proof which is why it's a great travel watch that I take to the beach and I'll keep wearing it into a hot tub. The only other watch I have of that could take abuse of that type of calibre is my SKX009 Pepsi diver, but since this one is a discontinued collector, I think I'd just buy another Orient diver for ~$250 ish to beat up if my Mako was ever failed.

Since you're buying a kit anyways, maybe spending $30-40 on another strap isn't a bad idea? That way you can have some variation and the differences between the two strap could help you to try and diagnose the reason why the one side keeps popping off. If you figure it out, you can try and proceed on a permanent fix.

I suddenly have a strange recollection of digging out some metal shaving from a watch. I recall I used a staple prior to putting a spring pin back in, but I don't recall which watch and why I did that or realized I needed to do that. I do recall I tried a few things until I realized a staple was small enough to fit without pushing stuff further in, had the 90 degree angle required. However, I was careless so I put a few scratches on the watch because I started wiggling it before I confirmed I put it inside of the hole to clean. But the scratches were underneath where no one would see so I remember other than the annoyance I had with myself, it was overall no big deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 06:40 PM   #2045
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Question for the group because I'm kinda at a loss.

I have a sweet Orient Mako with a steel bracelet. Worked great for years and still does. However, one day the strap broke off the watch because the spring pin got bent during normal use. No big deal, go get it repaired. Problem is that I've had the same repair done THREE times now at three different watch people and the same pin keeps bending and the strap detaches from the watch. It appears the hollow link (the last link) that is attached to the watch is the problem.

Are Orient bracelets known to be weaker? Should I just change to a new strap, like leather?
That doesn't make any sense to me. I have Makos, Rays, SKX's, and all manner of dive watches. There's no way the hollow link would affect the spring bar unless it was installed incorrectly and bending the bar. You can just get another steel bracelet for it if you like. I've mixed Seiko and Orient (same company) straps before and have also used aftermarket metal bracelets. It sounds like your watch repair guy might be at fault. Spring bars are the easiest thing to swap yourself. I've sometimes swapped hollow link bracelets for solid link ones as well from the aftermarket.

You might be wearing it too tight? There are also more robust spring bars you can get that won't bend or break.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-23-2023 at 06:42 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 09:45 AM   #2046
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm certainly not wearing it too tight. I think the hollow link is the problem and it's bending the spring bar to such an extent that it detaches. I felt that side was always a bit loose. Almost 10 years old and the one side has never failed, whereas the other side has failed 3 times.

On watchuseek.com, people have made comments that the hollow link on Makos can be a problem.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:11 AM   #2047
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
I'm certainly not wearing it too tight. I think the hollow link is the problem and it's bending the spring bar to such an extent that it detaches. I felt that side was always a bit loose. Almost 10 years old and the one side has never failed, whereas the other side has failed 3 times.

On watchuseek.com, people have made comments that the hollow link on Makos can be a problem.
I have a bunch of spare Mako and Ray end links/bracelets if you really wanted to test it before buying another bracelet. I put a Seiko 5 bracelet on my Mako at one point and it was fine too. I have an extra Ray as well in my junk drawer. Hollow end-links can also easily be bent to fit other watches and maybe its bent a bit out of compliance over 10 years.

To know for sure if it's one side, you can always flip the hollow end links from one side to another.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-24-2023 at 10:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2023, 10:22 AM   #2048
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Spring bars are really cheap. For instance, $10 gets you around 20 of them in 18 sizes for a total of 360 of the damn things. If you buy a watch kit that doesn't have what you need, just be aware these parts are inexpensive. This might mean it's part of the issue you're running into (who you're going to has a ton of overly cheap ones) or that upgrading it to a stronger pin might be worth investigating.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bantoye-Stainl...05496527&psc=1

Another thing is the hollow link. If one side is OK but the other side is not, then it's not out of the question to check for a fittings/install issue. I'd remove the link, clean out the hole (ie: use a staple) prior to reinstalling it with a brand new spring pin. Then I'd make sure that the wing is tight without flex. If it's not tight without flex, that might be why there's enough pressure on the spring pin to pop out. It could mean that any replacement spring pin could bend if the true issue isn't addressed.

I've heard of people using pliers wrapped with tape (to avoid scratching) to ensure the wing is tight, but this was usually to address end link noise than the bracelet popping off. However, maybe it's a potential solution for both of these things for you?

I think this is why we're confused about the situation with your bracelet and it doesn't sound like it's completely specific to the hollow link design. Hollow link are more prone to potential issues, absolutely. But it does often seem like issues relating to hollow link are on a case by case basis.

I'm leaning towards the idea that it's a connector/fittings issue with your watch due to the fact you say it happens only on one side. This means that you either just need to tighten the wings after replacing the spring pin and/or cleaning/modding the hole so that the spring pin fits a little more snugly. There's also more than one type of spring bar, so maybe swapping the regular spring bar with a quick release one might allow for the bar to be deeper in the lug? I do think it's ultimately fixable without too much effort though. Hopefully you find the issue and are able to resolve it. Good luck!

EDIT: As Hack&Lube says, if you swap the bracelet around 180, you might be able to better identify if it's a bracelet/wing issue or a lugs issue.

Last edited by DoubleF; 08-24-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #2049
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Yep I have that exact $10 box of 360 spring bars and I broke 4 of them already this morning messing around to try to force a bracelet onto a 20 year old Citizen that was missing its end links. I use them for messing around with because they are so disposable but many repair shops actually use these and they are super weak.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:25 AM   #2050
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Yep I have that exact $10 box of 360 spring bars and I broke 4 of them already this morning messing around to try to force a bracelet onto a 20 year old Citizen that was missing its end links. I use them for messing around with because they are so disposable but many repair shops actually use these and they are super weak.
Yeah, the funny thing about those parts is that when they work for the situation, they're more than adequate durability wise. But if you have a special situation like yours or the situation that Croflames has where slightly more strain is being placed on those parts, they're completely inadequate durability wise.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:31 AM   #2051
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are you all using for grey market aquisitions, and how do you guarantee (or at least ascertain) the authenticity?

Are there any trustworthy Calgary dealers who would procure a watch on the secondary market for a fee?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:37 AM   #2052
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
What are you all using for grey market aquisitions, and how do you guarantee (or at least ascertain) the authenticity?

Are there any trustworthy Calgary dealers who would procure a watch on the secondary market for a fee?
If you want guarantees/escrow services for authenticity you can use chrono24. A lot of people just buy from r/watchexchange though but I'm not sure I would trust it fully. What kind of watch are you looking for? I heard Rolex is going to get into the 2nd hand market at some point.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:12 PM   #2053
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chrono24 is pretty good. I agree with that. I've used them as well and the experience was pretty painless. I think a few others have also used them.

But it also depends on what you're looking for and your price range. If you want brand new grey market, then yes, I think there's a little bit more risk and I'd definitely go with a much more trusted intermediary like Chrono24 and also to put emphasis on the type of seller you're buying from. Paying a few hundred more for a watch on Chrono24 from someone who is obviously in the business of selling watches vs an unknown private seller is still something I wouldn't cheap out on if still a little uncomfortable purchasing purely online based on a few images.

But if you want something used that grey market, it's much less likely someone will try and fake a watch "with visible signs of being worn". You could in theory purchase via other websites like eBay, Rakuten etc. with less concerns about the authenticity as long as the seller reviews are great. But it's not fool proof.

Amazon is pretty good with ensuring there aren't fakes on their website, but it's also not fool proof. I don't think I've ever gotten a fake with Amazon, but if I had to choose sight unseen for a $500+ watch, I'd go with Chrono24 for the option that I could sleep easier at night without any further inspection. <$500, I wouldn't worry getting it from Amazon as the risk is low enough.

Not aware of any dealers who would agree to acquire a watch on the secondary market for a fee. The risk is too high for them in case there's an issue with the watch or they get scammed. You'd basically have to just look at what used watches certain dealers were comfortable in acquiring and go from there (ie: Bezelhouse). However, if they actually agreed to something like this, then you'd almost have to assume that they feel that the arrangement is so trustworthy that it is nearly risk free (ie: via escrow/guaranteed service). If that's the case, you're better off saving the money and doing it yourself via those services.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:34 PM   #2054
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post

Look into Exclusive Timezone; they might be able to procure something for you.
I haven't dealt with them but friends have bought from them happily (stock they had, not procurement).
I know they operate in Vancouver & Calgary.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2023, 12:13 AM   #2055
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

About 10-12 years ago, I first saw this watch at Brinkhaus when they still had the Omega brand before they jumped to Calgary Jewellery. My dad wouldn't stop talking about the blue Omega Seamaster 300m Chronograph, and so I decided to go in and see if they had it. They didn't, but what I did get shown was this. I immediately fell in love with it before getting sick at the price of ~$10,500 CAD, which was well out of my price range back then.

Happily, the watch market is kind of weird these days, with some watches (*cough* Rolex) showing dramatic appreciation, and some watches (like this Omega) having dropped ~60% in value since new. It finally made sense that I could buy one and for a steal, so I nabbed it.

I've been excited since last weekend when I bought it for it to arrive and it finally showed up today.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT Chronograph (231.10.44.52.06.001)

Apologies the back is a bit dirty, I've been wearing it since it arrived and I adjusted the bracelet length.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #2056
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
About 10-12 years ago, I first saw this watch at Brinkhaus when they still had the Omega brand before they jumped to Calgary Jewellery. My dad wouldn't stop talking about the blue Omega Seamaster 300m Chronograph, and so I decided to go in and see if they had it. They didn't, but what I did get shown was this. I immediately fell in love with it before getting sick at the price of ~$10,500 CAD, which was well out of my price range back then.

Happily, the watch market is kind of weird these days, with some watches (*cough* Rolex) showing dramatic appreciation, and some watches (like this Omega) having dropped ~60% in value since new. It finally made sense that I could buy one and for a steal, so I nabbed it.

I've been excited since last weekend when I bought it for it to arrive and it finally showed up today.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT Chronograph (231.10.44.52.06.001)

Apologies the back is a bit dirty, I've been wearing it since it arrived and I adjusted the bracelet length.
Beautiful! Where did you buy through? Are there any other examples of good deals to be had in the secondary market right now in that price range?
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 11:05 AM   #2057
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked it up off Chrono24 from a professional dealer out of Japan. While there was no original box or papers (not a problem for me), the pictures showed that it was in fantastic shape and their timegrapher was returning a +1 second per day timing accuracy. Japan is notorious for being fastidious in their verification of second-hand luxury goods' authenticity, so I was very comfortable buying from a Japanese-based seller. Shipping was fast, took a week, with the CBSA clearance process only taking a couple days.

There's some great deals to be had in Omega, Breitling, IWC, and Panerai (don't judge me, I can't help but love the look of a PAM on a bracelet ). You can basically cut the MSRP in half or more, especially on Breitling.

Anything Rolex is a no-go, the values are bonkers right now second-hand and for what I paid for the Omega, the best you're doing in Rolex is a stamped end-link, plastic crystal Datejust from the 70s-80s. There's just way better out there for the money.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 10-05-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:25 AM   #2058
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks, what’s duty on something like that coming from Japan?
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 11:33 AM   #2059
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duty is only 5% on watches manufactured outside of a CUSMA country, which is quite low. The CBSA duty and tax calculator works really well, it was spot on: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html
Old 10-04-2023, 11:55 AM   #2060
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Duty is only 5% on watches manufactured outside of a CUSMA country, which is quite low. The CBSA duty and tax calculator works really well, it was spot on: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html
Always warms my heart that they charge GST on the duty
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote