Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:18 AM   #13621
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Once again, it's a subjective term, and overall, I'd say there are very few elite overall players in the game.

But if you read closer, he was being discussed as an elite goal scorer, which It think there's a very good case for.
I would say he is not an elite goal scorer. He has never finished Top 10 in goals even once. An elite goal scorer should at least be Top 10 consistently.

His best season he was tied for 12th in goals. After that it is 27th or below.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:37 AM   #13622
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
An elite goal scorer should at least be Top 10 consistently.
That's a very arbitrary condition biased-Leaf fan who's admitted he hates the Flames.

He's 23 years old which makes that suggestion extremely weak.

With five seasons under his belt he has averaged nearly 30 goals per season over the last four outside his rookie year.

I'd imagine your criteria is more based on being a contrarian than it is subjective.

Of his 138 career goals, 30 of them are game winning goals. That's 20%.

That stat speaks for itself.

Of all the people on here deciding the criteria for what makes a scorer elite, I consider yours to be near the bottom of the list.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 06-08-2018 at 02:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 AM   #13623
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Hockeybuzz also references a Pierre Lebrun interview where he notes Calgary was in on Hoffman at the trade deadline. This isn't a surprise. His name (Hoffman, not Lebrun) was tied to the Flames for weeks prior to that as well. But as Treliving has said, many deals begin life at the trade deadline.

I guess what I'm saying is that this is a deal Eklund wouldn't just be pulling out of his ass like usual.
When was the last time a so-called insider was right under the Treliving admin?

Personally I think everyone of them miss-spelled Stone, I believe he is the real target
Old 06-08-2018, 07:07 AM   #13624
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friends dont let friends go to hockeybuzz.com
Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #13625
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

"Elite" is a subjective term. I think it's fair to say Monahan isn't elite. However, if by your definition Monahan isn't elite, neither is Tkachuk. To say Tkachuk is elite and Monahan isn't is where the argument fell down for me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drunk Uncle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #13626
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
When was the last time a so-called insider was right under the Treliving admin?

Personally I think everyone of them miss-spelled Stone, I believe he is the real target
Seemed like we were watching Sens, Sabres and Habs a lot towards the end of the season.

Hope BT is able to weaponize cap space and bring in a top 6 at a discount (probably by taking on a bad contract) or take on a bad contract and get a first in return. Would ducks give us their 1st if we take on Corey Perry and send Brouwer the other way?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #13627
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Seemed like we were watching Sens, Sabres and Habs a lot towards the end of the season.

Hope BT is able to weaponize cap space and bring in a top 6 at a discount (probably by taking on a bad contract) or take on a bad contract and get a first in return. Would ducks give us their 1st if we take on Corey Perry and send Brouwer the other way?
I can't see the Ducks giving a first up to lose Perry, nevermind take on Brouwer.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #13628
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post

I think you are in full back tatoo territory with this one.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #13629
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would say he is not an elite goal scorer. He has never finished Top 10 in goals even once. An elite goal scorer should at least be Top 10 consistently.

His best season he was tied for 12th in goals. After that it is 27th or below.
5 seasons...are there 10 players in the NHL who had 138 goals in their first five seasons?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #13630
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

At FlamesNation, Ryan Pike has a good article talking about the recent returns for defencemen like Brodie, Stone and Hamilton.

He says Stone will likely get a 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder and a decent prospect.

He finds the closest comparison to a Brodie trade would probably be the Vatanen trade from Anaheim to New Jersey. This basically netted Anaheim Henrique and Joseph Blandisi (23 years old solid bottom 6 player). He says Brodie has outscored Vatanen and this implies the Flames may get more than what Vatanen got. Henrique is pretty good. He has averaged between 40 and 50 points per season.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #13631
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not hard to imagine that without injury and also without being shut down at the end, Monahan gets 5-10 more goals. So let's say 7 more - that gives him 38. More than Kessel, Benn, Tavares, Pastrnak, Kopitar, Marchand, Matthews, Tarasenko, and one less than Kucherov, Hall and Mackinnon.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #13632
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Using that comparison (FN article), it makes the proposed Brodie for Niederreiter trade look pretty reasonable.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #13633
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Niederreiter would be a great fit on this team, and potentially the first line. He is a Ferland who never disappears. When he isn't scoring, he's making room.

If Kovalchuk and Stone are pipe dreams, this is my favorite of the rumours so far this offseason concerning a RW.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #13634
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
5 seasons...are there 10 players in the NHL who had 138 goals in their first five seasons?
Ovechkin had 269! Now that is elite!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #13635
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Using that comparison (FN article), it makes the proposed Brodie for Niederreiter trade look pretty reasonable.
And I have to say, I would love that trade. If it’s available, Treliving needs to get it done.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #13636
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ovechkin had 269! Now that is elite!

Ovechkin isn't elite. He is the best goal scorer of all time.

Monahan is a bit of an enigma. He scores a lot and does a lot of little things, but he is usually quite invisible as the plays develop. This is why people don't give him credit. He is a great scorer for sure.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #13637
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Ovechkin isn't elite. He is the best goal scorer of all time.

Monahan is a bit of an enigma. He scores a lot and does a lot of little things, but he is usually quite invisible as the plays develop. This is why people don't give him credit. He is a great scorer for sure.
To reiterate, the problem here is not so much determining whether Monhahan is an "elite" player. The problem is using the same metrics to conclude that Tkachuk is elite while Monahan is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #13638
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My issue with Niederreiter is that he is a left-handed shot. If we are looking at potentially available Wild players, what about Charlie Coyle? He had an off year points-wise last year but it has come out that he had similar wrist issues to what Mony was dealing with. He has said that he could barely grip his stick last year and he had surgery on both wrists this off-season. Prognosis sounds good. He is a right-handed shot that can play W or C.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #13639
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
To reiterate, the problem here is not so much determining whether Monhahan is an "elite" player. The problem is using the same metrics to conclude that Tkachuk is elite while Monahan is not.

Tkachuk is another one that's hard to put a ceiling on. He is an impact player, even when he doesn't score, and that's great. But elite is probably too generous. His skating might hamper him too much. He reminds me of Ryan Smyth, who was great, but not really elite.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #13640
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season is over the time for sureloss to start a new thread is coming! Looking forward to some new rumors to discuss
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread