Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #12681
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think the Flames make a play for Paul Stastny to replace Staj?

Last edited by Otto-matic; 05-22-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #12682
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I felt the rebuild ended before 16-17, draft day where Tkachuk was drafted and Elliot was acquired. Us missing the playoffs doesn’t mean we’re rebuilding, not every team outside of the playoffs is rebuilding. We just had a bad season because some of our good players weren’t good and our coach was bad
I totally agree.

This is a finished product.

All the moves made in the last 2 years were made as though the Flames were coming off a top-4 finish and wanting to maintain. The window is and was starting to close. The best player is 34 years old. The #1 goalie is 36. There will be 3 players under 24 on the roster next season , Tkachuk, Bennett and Anderssen who will likely be the #7 d-man.

That will be close the the lowest number of young players in the league.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #12683
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Stastny is likely to make big money over a long term deal. Not a 4LC for the Flames.

Shore is more likely to be that replacement.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #12684
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would lock up 3 5M+ centres for the next 5 years.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #12685
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Stastny is likely to make big money over a long term deal. Not a 4LC for the Flames.

Shore is more likely to be that replacement.
If we signed Stastny, he would be our 2nd line center.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #12686
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Exactly. Not a 4L replacement and salary wise would be making probably $3M more than Stajan did.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #12687
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the Flames make a play for a top two line center this off season, so yes a move for Stastny wouldn't surprise me at all.

I still think they go guns a blazin' for Tavares, and if that fails they also kick tires on Stastny. After that the pickings are pretty slim, so they probably have to go to the trade route to find one.

Stastny is scary though, because he's already 32 but will still likely get multiple years with a high cap hit because he is still producing.

I could also see them signing Bozak as well. Obviously not as good as Tavares or Stastny, but he skates well, is a right hand shot and is very good on face offs. He's also from western Canada.

Just hate to see the Flames sign any UFA's 30 or older to multi year deals though.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #12688
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only ufa center I could see us going after is Derek Ryan

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM   #12689
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I greatly disagree with this.

Paul Stastny will be 33 in December 2018.
Mikael Backlund will be 30 in March 2019.

Stastny put up 8 more points than Backlund in 17/18 while playing significant portions of his 5v5 minutes with Tarasenko, Laine, Ehlers, and Steen. Not to mention his PP time with Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, Laine, Scheifele, Steen and Wheeler.

Backlund's CF% was 56.23, Stastny's was 54.08.

Stastny started in the offensive zone 54.42% of the time compared to Backlund's tidy 46.2%.

Stastny shot at 8.05% at even strength, compared to Backlund's 5.67%.

Backlund > Stastny
Monahan > Stastny

Stastny's circumstances were significantly better than Backlund's. You can't fault Backlund for being on a team devoid of offensive talent throughout the depth chart (...although he did sign an extension, so maybe you can?).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #12690
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Stastny put up 8 more points than Backlund in 17/18 while playing significant portions of his 5v5 minutes with Tarasenko, Laine, Ehlers, and Steen. Not to mention his PP time with Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, Laine, Scheifele, Steen and Wheeler.

Stastny started in the offensive zone 54.42% of the time compared to Backlund's tidy 46.2%.

Backlund > Stastny
Monahan > Stastny

Stastny's circumstances were significantly better than Backlund's. You can't fault Backlund for being on a team devoid of offensive talent throughout the depth chart (...although he did sign an extension, so maybe you can?).
But.... he’s on the jets so he must be better than what we have right?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #12691
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I felt the rebuild ended before 16-17, draft day where Tkachuk was drafted and Elliot was acquired. Us missing the playoffs doesn’t mean we’re rebuilding, not every team outside of the playoffs is rebuilding. We just had a bad season because some of our good players weren’t good and our coach was bad
Tough to declare a rebuild complete when a team just finished bottom 5.

I would say the following summer when they made the playoffs and then traded away future first round picks the rebuild could be determined over.

We literally had picked in the top 6 3 of the 4 previous drafts so pretty tough to say the rebuild was over. They traded 1 of 3 2nd rounders for a goalie the team hoped would be a 3-5 year stop gap.

Last summer they traded for a 36 year old which was a clear indication they were in it for the now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #12692
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I totally agree.

This is a finished product.

All the moves made in the last 2 years were made as though the Flames were coming off a top-4 finish and wanting to maintain. The window is and was starting to close. The best player is 34 years old. The #1 goalie is 36. There will be 3 players under 24 on the roster next season , Tkachuk, Bennett and Anderssen who will likely be the #7 d-man.

That will be close the the lowest number of young players in the league.
I kinda get what you're saying, I don't think anyone is arguing that we're still rebuilding. To paint us as an old team using the arbitrary age of 24 is a touch hyperbolic though. Our oldest forward will be frolik at 30, then Backlund at 29. Everyone else is 26 and under and jankowski and Monahan would just turn 24 as the season starts. The defence is older, admittedly, but the prospect base is there for the long term future in that position.

Goalie is a concerning area for a team at the beginning of their window (which isn't a defined length of time either) and it'd be nice to have a few exciting young forwards ready to step up.

Anyway, trade rumours.... Err... Could be interesting to see what happens with Hanifin in Carolina, a potential dougie type situation could happen if he wants more than they're willing to give.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #12693
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Tough to declare a rebuild complete when a team just finished bottom 5.

I would say the following summer when they made the playoffs and then traded away future first round picks the rebuild could be determined over.

We literally had picked in the top 6 3 of the 4 previous drafts so pretty tough to say the rebuild was over. They traded 1 of 3 2nd rounders for a goalie the team hoped would be a 3-5 year stop gap.

Last summer they traded for a 36 year old which was a clear indication they were in it for the now.
This team should still be building. Unfortunately, due to the assets spent over the last two summers - patience has likely left the front-office of the Calgary Flames.

When you look back at the summer of 2016 and the summer of 2017, I think Treliving has had an absolutely rotten two off-seasons.

2016: Hired Gulutzan, Signed Brouwer, spent a 2nd round pick on Elliott. Those were big moves that year, and all 3 of them were a disaster.

2017: He was impatient. He clearly misread his coach, and believed addressing the glaring holes would put them over the top. He sent out a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick. Smith was good for half the season, and then fell apart after the All-Star break leaving the goaltending question just as unanswered today as it was in May of 2016. The hope here is that Hamonic is an important piece going forward, which I think he could be...but given his role (#4 d-man), the price paid is questionable.

2018: This summer is huge. He can't misfire for the third straight summer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #12694
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this.
If I'm not mistaken this is the same off-season where Gulutzan was hired and Brouwer was also signed.

And the fact the only significant roster changes that Treliving made in the two seasons Gultzan was here would be the Smith and Hamonic deals in which he traded away picks for older/developed players. Which aren't quite "rebuilding" trades you would make.

Rebuild lasted from Feb 2013 to July 2016 IMO.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #12695
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Backlund > Stastny
Monahan > Stastny

Stastny had 68 points including 15 in playoff games against top quality opposition.

Monahan had 45 non-PP points in the regular season

Stastny had 42 non-pp points in the regular season and 10 non-pp points in the playoffs.

Backlund had 34 non-pp pints in the regular season.

The Flames have committed to Backlund. He is getting paid as a top #2C.

Pretty sure the Flames and the Jets would like to have back the Backlund / Little extensions had they felt they could have had Statsny for the same contracts.

Would the Flames want Little for their #2C at 5.2 for the next 6 years? hint:
the answer should be NOOOO

Pretty sure that Dube would get the deal done.... The Jets throwing in Petan.

Flames might be able to trade Brouwer with a bit of salary retained for Little for the Jets to open the cap space for Stastny.....

all wild speculation as Little has a 14 team NMC.

Why would UFA Stastny pick Calgary over St. Louis?
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #12696
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This team should still be building. Unfortunately, due to the assets spent over the last two summers - patience has likely left the front-office of the Calgary Flames.

When you look back at the summer of 2016 and the summer of 2017, I think Treliving has had an absolutely rotten two off-seasons.

2016: Hired Gulutzan, Signed Brouwer, spent a 2nd round pick on Elliott. Those were big moves that year, and all 3 of them were a disaster.

2017: He was impatient. He clearly misread his coach, and believed addressing the glaring holes would put them over the top. He sent out a 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick. Smith was good for half the season, and then fell apart after the All-Star break leaving the goaltending question just as unanswered today as it was in May of 2016. The hope here is that Hamonic is an important piece going forward, which I think he could be...but given his role (#4 d-man), the price paid is questionable.

2016 the Brouwer move was awful but Elliott was good enough to get the team to the playoffs splitting his time with summer of 2016 addition Chad Johnson. Gulutzan was also the wrong call but hard to say a team that went from 5th worst to a 17pt improvement and the playoffs was a failure.

It would have cost the Flames a 3rd to keep Elliott which ended up being the price they paid to add Smith at $4.25M.

I don’t disagree with your 2017 take the Hamonic price was steep considering the team missed the playoffs. I also think Smith was fine but when e returned from injury he had to be flawless and that pressure was too much. His biggest issue was not addressing the lack of goal scoring last year. Chasing Patrick Sharp was plan A and after the year he just had clearly would have failed here. Signing Jagr in October was also a misstep. I wish they would have done it in July so he could he could have prepared fully in the summer.

2018 I agree this is a huge summer. I a not thrilled with Peters coming in so Tree is going to need to make some changes to the roster in order to get me to believe this is more than a team that will challenge for a wildcard/3rd in the Pacific spot
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #12697
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The only ufa center I could see us going after is Derek Ryan

Jay beagle I could see as well. PK , High FO% , physical and from CGY
The Following User Says Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #12698
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jay Beagle - yes. Has a history of being able to play at the NHL level and brings both size and tenacity. Good 4th liner. Derek Ryan - no. Smallish player that can skate, but I'm not sure he makes the Flames more difficult to play against. Not a good fit for the 4th line.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:07 PM   #12699
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think you have to add totally whiffing on the backup goalie situation and getting nothing out of the low risk UFA signings like Glass and Jagr as more negatives for the 2017 off season. A 2nd for Lazar at the deadline didn't help.

I really hope we have the right coach now. And my fingers are crossed on what he does next.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #12700
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there any players more overrated (and eventually overpaid) than roleplayers on teams than go deep into the playoffs?
Closed Thread