Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #12601
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The sportster is terrible.
Lazar was never projected to be a top 6 guy or a power forward
Except when he was drafted and likely traded for?
Old 05-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #12602
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Except when he was drafted and likely traded for?
Nope
That was never the projection
Top 9 energy guy with a bit of pop was his ceiling
Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #12603
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope
That was never the projection
Top 9 energy guy with a bit of pop was his ceiling
and he's not far off from that, in my eyes. Another season of solid development and that trade looks good to me!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #12604
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would the devils trade Schneider? Why wouldn’t they see if he bounces back? Why trade for an old goalie who was terrible down the stretch and someone who likely would never be as good as Schneider?
I don’t know maybe he asked to be moved because they rode Kinkaid last year when he returned from injury? Maybe he is selling his house to move into a bigger or smaller house in a different neighborhood?

You are talking like Schneider was a stud last year? His contract has risk for sure. What teams would be interested in a starting goalie? Carolina for sure but no one is taking on Darling’s contract and they don’t want to spend $10M on goalies. The Oilers might want a new goalie because Talbot is mediocre. Perhaps they could send Talbot and something for Schneider? Vancouver could want a goalie but been there done that.

Not sure how many teams are lining up for a 32 year goalie coming off and injury plagued season and also just had hip surgery
Old 05-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #12605
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schneider has had two down years in a row and Hynes rode Kinkaid even after Schneider came back from injury, and even started Kinkaid in the 1st two games of the playoffs.

I would gamble on Schneider myself, but I wouldn't give up a ton as he certainly doesn't come without risk. 4 years left at $6 million per.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #12606
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone see Schneider in the first round? Dude still had some substantial groin issues in the games he played. Buyer beware IMO.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #12607
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t know maybe he asked to be moved because they rode Kinkaid last year when he returned from injury? Maybe he is selling his house to move into a bigger or smaller house in a different neighborhood?

You are talking like Schneider was a stud last year? His contract has risk for sure. What teams would be interested in a starting goalie? Carolina for sure but no one is taking on Darling’s contract and they don’t want to spend $10M on goalies. The Oilers might want a new goalie because Talbot is mediocre. Perhaps they could send Talbot and something for Schneider? Vancouver could want a goalie but been there done that.

Not sure how many teams are lining up for a 32 year goalie coming off and injury plagued season and also just had hip surgery
You still haven’t said why NJ would take your awful trade.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #12608
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You still haven’t said why NJ would take your awful trade.
Get a goalie for next year to compete for a starting spot and a goalie that is close t being a regular to get out of that $6M contract with years left.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #12609
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would the devils trade Schneider?
What kind of dumb ass question is this?

Have you looked at the thread title?

The guy put his flipping house up for sale after a 2nd down season where he was displaced as the starter in New Jersey. Of course people will naturally speculate on whether or not he's on the move.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #12610
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What kind of dumb ass question is this?

Have you looked at the thread title?

The guy put his flipping house up for sale after a 2nd down season where he was displaced as the starter in New Jersey. Of course people will naturally speculate on whether or not he's on the move.
Gaudreau put his place for sale after last season were people speculating his trade?

Vinny I just don’t see how they would be interested in that.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #12611
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This article had Lazar's best case as Tyler Seguin/Patrice Bergeron.

https://thehockeywriters.com/curtis-...spect-profile/

I believe he was considered a safe pick. Bottom 6 forward was his floor, not his ceiling.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #12612
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau put his place for sale after last season were people speculating his trade?

Vinny I just don’t see how they would be interested in that.

Yes, from time to time people speculate Gaudreau being traded in here.

And that's a terrible comparable anyways. Did Gaudreau just get displaced out of the Flames starting line up by a younger forward? Did Gaudreau just put a $3 million home on the market?

Baffles me that you'd be shocked by someone speculating on a potential Schneider trade in a trade speculation thread after the two seasons he just had and the fact he put his house up for sale. Like he's some immovable object or something.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 05-17-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #12613
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Here is Lazar's draft video. McKenzie said at the time some felt Lazar would be a complete all around 3rd line player in the NHL instead of a guy who would play in the top 6.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #12614
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This article had Lazar's best case as Tyler Seguin/Patrice Bergeron.

https://thehockeywriters.com/curtis-...spect-profile/

I believe he was considered a safe pick. Bottom 6 forward was his floor, not his ceiling.
Sorry I don’t mean to be argumentative but any article that compares him to Bergeron or Seguin was a poor article. There was no evidence of that upside
Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #12615
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

"As long as the Ducks don't give up Bobby Ryan or Jonas Hiller, everything will be ok."
- Patrick Kelley
Old 05-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #12616
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry I don’t mean to be argumentative but any article that compares him to Bergeron or Seguin was a poor article. There was no evidence of that upside
Quite easy to say now. Generally speaking, you’re not drafted that high if your best possible upside is energy player. Expectations for him only went up after his last junior season, with 41 goals in 58 games.

Sorry but I’m not seeing any evidence that he was considered to have such a limited ceiling. He was also compared to Lucic in some articles.

He was the poster child for a high floor draft pick because of his ability to play up and down the lineup, his Mackenzie’s comment during the draft. That ability to play up unfortunately has never materialized in the pros.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:47 PM   #12617
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s not revisionist history. He was a guy who was considered to have a good two way game but there were questions about whether he would be a offensive player at the next level
Old 05-17-2018, 10:52 PM   #12618
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It’s not revisionist history. He was a guy who was considered to have a good two way game but there were questions about whether he would be a offensive player at the next level
Not all scouts viewed him like that. Many saw him as a top two line forward. I can dig up the old Redline and ISS from that year when I get home.

To say most scouts didn’t think he had top two line upside would be revisionist history IMO.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #12619
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

REDLINE

22. Curtis Lazar

Playing on deep championship club has allowed him to focus on play away from the puck, working toward a more complete game. Great first step explosion and has the speed to turn the corner on defenders using great puck protection. Has a clean, powerful stride and his strength on skates is a major asset - never gets knocked off the puck. Highly agile with great edging. Constantly involved in the physical aspect of the game and can dominate play down low. Determined and relentless in puck pursuit, creating space and opportunities for linemates. Crashes the net with intensity and hunger. Gets great torque on powerful shot. Tends to get tunnel vision with the puck in tight. Already plays a no-nonsense pro style — keeps things simple and avoids mental lapses. Big game player can elevate his level.

Projection: Two-way 2nd line pivot on a good club.

Style compares to: Ryan O’Reilly

ISS

12. CURTIS LAZAR

Report Card
Size/Strength: Average
Skating: Very Good
Puck Skills: Very Good
Shot: Excellent
Offensive Play: Very Good
Defensive Play: Very Good
Physical Play: Good
Competitiveness: Very Good
Hockey Sense: Very Good

Strengths
1. Laser release on shot
2. Very good work ethic
3. Shows up when needed most

Weaknesses:
1. Needs to get stronger
2. Needs to put up more consistent offensive numbers

Skill:Very good two-way player with good fire in his game and good offensive capabilities.

Scouting Report:
It’s been an up and down season for Lazar in terms of his prospect status. He can be simply dominant and the best player on the ice at times, but he can also fall into long lapses where the offensive potential is nowhere to be found. Even so, he is consistently an effective player, who plays with good determination and high skill. He can grind with players much larger than himself, has very good smooth hands and can shoot the lights out from almost anywhere on the ice. He’s not the biggest kid, but he plays without fear or trepidation. The big knock so far has been in high exposure events (such as CHL TP game and Canada U18 evaluation camp) he has looked very average.

NHL Potential: 2nd/3rd line player with PP potential, could evolve into top line sniper.

Style compares to: Dustin Brown

FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

No. 17
CURTIS LAZAR

STRENGTHS: Lazar is a defensively strong forward with good speed and goal scoring ability. He possesses good quickness out the gate, has good mobility and turning ability, even at top speed. He’s a dynamic skater who has powerful legs and pretty solid acceleration. Lazar uses a wide balanced stance when protecting the puck and is hard to knock off stride and while he won’t blow the doors off of anyone, is tough to knock off the puck. He gets himself in good position to shoot, finding holes offensively, where he can unleash both a hard wrist or slap shot. He also has a very quick backhand in his shooting arsenal as well as a deadly one-timer. Is a killer from the slot-in with his great release and knows when, where and how to put pucks on net. Lazar isn’t afraid to deke to finish off plays from in close, either. He’s not just a shooter as his puck distribution and vision are superb and makes some excellent passes including quick cross-crease dishes on the backhand in tight to the net, multi-zone stretch passes from his own zone and soft saucer passes to streaking linemates. His passes have good velocity and are usually right on the tape. While he does have pretty good hands, he is not a real flashy puck dangling forward who will try to go end-to-end much if at all. He’s gritty, plays very physical when the situation calls for it and is versatile in that he can play on a skilled line as well as on a line with two very big and physical players. He bangs and crashes regularly along the walls, takes hits to make plays and shows the leadership and smarts that is rare for a player this age. He’s a true hockey player and a leader. He’ll be a glue guy in the NHL and a good guy in the room as a heart and soul player. He shows great inner drive, is a hard worker and displays great character, serving as an assistant captain as a 17-year-old on a veteran team. He will one day do that at the NHL level. Lazar plays with high energy and good intensity each and every shift. He has his head on a swivel each and every shift and his positioning in his own zone and in the neutral zone is fantastic. He is very good at reading the play and taking away lanes with his body and stick. Lazar will be one of the safest bets to make the Show out of this draft class as he is almost a guarantee to make an impression in one way or another.

WEAKNESSES: Lazar is a total defensive first player who does not take risks in the name of offense or to generating a scoring chance. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, it does reflect in his offensive numbers in junior and his perceived NHL offensive upside. He has not really shown much in the way of offensive creativity but instead just taking what he is given to produce opportunities. Is he a very good third line shutdown centre who can play your PK as well as add a little offense to your team or is he a great two-way second line center who can do it all and boost his offensive contributions?

SCOUTS QUOTE: “Some label Lazar as a great second or third liner, which tends to come with a negative stigma when people think first round talent. But, if by second or third liner, you mean a guy that can score 20-plus goals consistently, be a devastating weapon on the forecheck, and play well in all areas of the ice? Sure, I’ll take him in the first round any day of the week.”

NHL POTENTIAL: Top Nine Two-Way Forward

MY TAKE

Lazar had a decent upside. Obviously its been somewhat stunted because OTT rushed him to the NHL and he lost completely confidence in his own offensive abilities. Will he ever regain them? It's possible he could regain some of them. I'd say at this point he's lost his top two line upside but I can still see him evolving into an elite 3rd liner like a Frolik. Wouldn't mind seeing him next season with Backlund/Frolik at times.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 05-17-2018 at 11:35 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #12620
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The sportster is terrible.
Lazar was never projected to be a top 6 guy or a power forward
I always see Sportster articles on Facebook. Sometimes I look at them for a good laugh. They make Bleacher Report seem gospel.

And I agree. I never thought Lazar had top 6 potential at any point.
He has never shown an elite level of offensive abilities.
Closed Thread