Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #12581
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
McKenzie on his latest podcast says the Sabres are asking for a similar return for ROR that the Flyers got for Mike Richards.

Richards got the Flyers a 22 year old Simmonds, 19 year old Brayden Schenn, and a 2nd round pick.

Says they are essentially looking for a good young player under 27, a top prospect, and a significant pick.

Mentioned Montreal and Canes as possible destinations.

Also said Tavares will probably impact the trade value.
We should stay away. We don’t have a Brayden Schenn level prospect or a significant pick, so we’d have to give up a few good prospects to cover that, which isn’t worth it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #12582
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You responded to me. I replied.

But let's get back to how awesome of friends Hamonic and Tavares are.
We are speculating about a free agent signing not talking about one teams farm system vs the other.

I bring up that 2 teams that have spent most of the last 5 years near the bottom the league likely do not have a chance to sign Tavares and you want to debate one crappy team is not as crappy as the other.

Buffalo appears to have a brighter future and I would take their players over Vancouver’s. Are you happy?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #12583
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Since Adam Mascherin was brought up earlier in this thread, McKenzie says the Panthers were asking for a 3rd round pick for his rights last month but there were no takers. He wonders if Florida will drop the asking price the closer they get to June 1st.

Background: 38th OA pick from the 2016 draft won't sign with Florida. If he isn't signed by June 1st he will go back to the 2018 draft.

Also of note McKenzies says Mascherin will need time in the AHL
Old 05-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #12584
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

McKenzie also speculated the acquisition cost for Skinner will be relatively cheap.

Full NMC lets Skinner dictate where he gets traded to and is 1 year from UFA.

He specifically mentioned the Kings as one of the teams interested.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #12585
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
And? Even if we go with that, don't we end up something like:

Eichel>>Horvat
Dahlin>Broesser
Middelstat=Petersson
Reinhart>Juolevi
Nylander>??
Guhle>??

Demko is a question mark with high potential that could push everyone down for the Cnaucks but Ullmark isn't completely without potential. When it comes to goalies it's too hard to predict.

Probably the closest comparable you could make between the two teams young players is to say that Dahlen is sort of similar spelling as Dahlin.
Dahlin is a lotter win so it's not fair to compare
Boeser = Eichel, Brock was on pace to break Eichel's career stats.
Horvat>Reinhart
Pettersson>Middlestadt
Juolevi>Guhle
Dahlen>Nylander
Gaudette>??
Demko>??
Goldobin>??
Virtanen>??
Lind>??

and they will get to add a Wahlstrom/Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson/Tkachuck to that pool. I would give the edge to Vancouver.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #12586
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
Horvat>Reinhart
Pettersson>Middlestadt
Juolevi>Guhle
Dahlen>Nylander
Gaudette>??
Demko>??
Goldobin>??
Virtanen>??
Lind>??

and they will get to add a Wahlstrom/Boqvist/Bouchard/Dobson/Tkachuck to that pool. I would give the edge to Vancouver.
I really don't care, but why leave out Risto and ROR? The Canucks don't have anyone even close to them.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #12587
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Horvat>Reinhart
Pettersson>Middlestadt
Juolevi>Guhle
Dahlen>Nylander
Gaudette>??
Demko>??
Goldobin>??
Virtanen>??
Lind>??

While I agree with some of that, I don't understand why Dahlin doesn't count... You can't cherry pick players... Draft pick or not, he will be part of their team and must be included in an analysis.
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #12588
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But, that's pretty much the whole point of why Buffalo would make a better team than Vancouver for Tavares. With Buffalo, they have two very young players that have been touted as "franchise players" since their draft. Will they live up to expectation? Maybe not. But there's pretty much never been a scenario where a team has three franchise players and don't make huge noise.

On the Island, Tavares has been that guy for so long that going to a place where the pressure isn't only on him might be a relief. The Islanders have always been as good as Tavares could carry them, even with the emergence of Barzal on the second line behind him. If Eichel lives up to his expectations, Tavares might not be seeing the top pairing and shut down line everytime he touches the ice. That would be a first for Tavares.
Quote:
Eichel put up 57 points in 61 games last season and 64 points in 67 games this season. Boesser put up 55 points in 62 games this season. It takes some pretty odd math gymnastics to argue that Boesser somehow was on pace to beat him when Eichel had the better point-per-game average and played more games last season. They also were drafted the same year.

At this stage in their career, an excellent rookie season from Boeser and Eichel not quite living up to the massive expectations put them on similar footing, but as a center Eichel is the easily more valuable player to me and I still think has higher potential. But you're right that the "=" is probably fair to argue.

And, while I didn't include him originally, if you're going to list Horvat we should probably list the better Ristolainen seeing as they were drafted one spot apart in the 2013 draft. So pretty much throw in a complete top pairing defense in Dahlin and Ristolainen to the young guys of Buffalo, and Canucks just don't compare.

Both teams were trash, but one team was trash because they relied on their young guys who are expected to get better, join the team for a full year, or stay healthy. One team was trash and they just lost two of their top scorers to retirement. Trending in different directions.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 05-17-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #12589
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Tavares signing in Nashville
Old 05-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #12590
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I could see Tavares signing in Nashville
They don't have the cap space. Rinne 7M, Johansen 8M, Suban 9m, Tavares 10m+

Nashville is good because of how deep they are, I don't see them moving or depth to go that too heavy.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #12591
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
They don't have the cap space. Rinne 7M, Johansen 8M, Suban 9m, Tavares 10m+

Nashville is good because of how deep they are, I don't see them moving or depth to go that too heavy.
Things can change, trades can be made.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #12592
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I really don't care, but why leave out Risto and ROR? The Canucks don't have anyone even close to them.
I thought we were talking about prospect depth.

You're right about ROR but Risto?

Ristolainen is terrible defensively. It's funny how much criticism OEL gets here but Risto is a poor mans EOL.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #12593
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cory Schneider listed his $3M home in NJ and was taken over by Kinkaid at points last year.

Would the Flames consider a new starter for the 4th straight year?

Smith only has a year left on his deal and then they either need to give Rittich or Gillies a shot, play a 38 year old Smith, trade or sign another goalie.

Not sure if the Devils have someone in the pipeline but maybe something around Smith and Gillies for Schneider?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #12594
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Cory Schneider listed his $3M home in NJ and was taken over by Kinkaid at points last year.

Would the Flames consider a new starter for the 4th straight year?

Smith only has a year left on his deal and then they either need to give Rittich or Gillies a shot, play a 38 year old Smith, trade or sign another goalie.

Not sure if the Devils have someone in the pipeline but maybe something around Smith and Gillies for Schneider?
Smith gillies and a 1st you mean right?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 PM   #12595
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Smith gillies and a 1st you mean right?
Schneider is NOT getting that return. He fell apart, and the way goalies work you don't know if he's bouncing back.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #12596
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Schneider is NOT getting that return. He fell apart, and the way goalies work you don't know if he's bouncing back.
So a 36 year old and a likely never nhl goalie will get him?

I was joking in my reply to the terrible trade suggestion.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #12597
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

This is an article I just found from April. It mentions high pick busts and some players that could do with a change of scenery. Lazar leads off and Bennett closes out the list.
https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/...need-new-team/

Quote:
Lazar was projected to be top-six power forward, but as the years passed, it became clear that his offensive potential diminished. Lazar soon found himself as a fourth liner and then healthy scratch, before being traded to the Calgary Flames.

With the Calgary Flames, the team made it clear that they wanted to help him reach his potential and gave him many opportunities to prove himself. Yet, the lack of offense stayed with Lazar and he soon found himself out of the lineup. Lazar is a player who simply does not have enough talent to stay in the NHL, so expect to see him out of the league in the near future.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 05-17-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #12598
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So a 36 year old and a likely never nhl goalie will get him?

I was joking in my reply to the terrible trade suggestion.
Why is Gillies not likely t be a NHL goalie?

Schneider had a pretty bad year and has a big contract. It would be risky hoping he bounces back. Flames can add but not a 1st. Maybe Fox or Bennett but then the Devils need to kick in something else
Old 05-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #12599
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
This is an article I just found from April. It mentions high pick busts and some players that could do with a change of scenery. Lazar leads off and Bennett closes out the list.
https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/...need-new-team/
The sportster is terrible.
Lazar was never projected to be a top 6 guy or a power forward
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #12600
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Why is Gillies not likely t be a NHL goalie?

Schneider had a pretty bad year and has a big contract. It would be risky hoping he bounces back. Flames can add but not a 1st. Maybe Fox or Bennett but then the Devils need to kick in something else
Why would the devils trade Schneider? Why wouldn’t they see if he bounces back? Why trade for an old goalie who was terrible down the stretch and someone who likely would never be as good as Schneider?
Closed Thread