Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:00 PM   #11621
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I actually though Rittich was pretty good in his limited minutes...i was very encouraged with him until Smith got injured and he was thrust into the starters....
But i honestly don't remember who the last legit starting goalie calgary developed (that stayed with the organization unlike JSG)...? I mean does Kidd count? because outside of him my brain rewinds all the way back to Vernon...
Yeah at worst you just ride Smith for the first half of the season and address it later. They need addtional firepower up front before camp starts.

And no it hasn’t happened and Kidd doesn’t count. The position I like and watch the most and a whole lotta nothing to be excited about as a Flames fan long term (outside Kipper of course). It would be great to see a few brought up from within and be successful starters. Teams spend huge assets trying to acquire sure thing goalies. If you can draft and develop them successfully that’s half the battle to a winning team.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #11622
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the question is, if Smith goes down for another stretch of time, how much do you trust Rittich or Gillies to carry the load again? Pretty important to eliminate guess work out of this.

Rittich was fine in spot duty but pretty unreliable when given a steady workload.

In my opinion, I don't think they can gamble on that scenario and will bring in a capable #2. Give Rittich and Gillies an over ripening season in the AHL.

Or they move one to maximize a trade return.

Smith is the bonafide be all end all in net and his ability to play a full season is the question mark. Just not sold that either goals prospect can rise and carry
Old 05-05-2018, 10:35 PM   #11623
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I guess the question is, if Smith goes down for another stretch of time, how much do you trust Rittich or Gillies to carry the load again? Pretty important to eliminate guess work out of this.

Rittich was fine in spot duty but pretty unreliable when given a steady workload.

In my opinion, I don't think they can gamble on that scenario and will bring in a capable #2. Give Rittich and Gillies an over ripening season in the AHL.

Or they move one to maximize a trade return.

Smith is the bonafide be all end all in net and his ability to play a full season is the question mark. Just not sold that either goals prospect can rise and carry
tough question... Rittich doesn't have a resume of a kid that you expect to be a bonifide #1... but Gillies and Parsons esp, i would hope/expect one of those guys to pan out...

in some ways Hellebuyck is an interesting example where, he was expected to carry a bigger load in 2016/17 but struggled to a 13-11 record... so much so the GM brought in Mason as the backup just in case...but Hellebuyck bounced back and really became the kind of goalie they were expecting.

Such a tricky position to develop because its so dependent on confidence...which can be a struggle with a first time starter.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #11624
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't change anything with our goalie situation. It's fine as it is. Smith with 3 younger guys behind him is a good recipe in my mind because the 3 behind him are all good prospects.

Defence is bloated and there is a dearth of forwards.

Keep goalies the same, revamp forward group by dangling defenseman as trade bait.

Seems pretty obvious to me..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #11625
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we trade Hamilton, who will play 25 minutes a night and score 45 points?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 AM   #11626
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Yes, for those who want to trade him, we are a much lesser team without him unless we get a superstar winger in return.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:28 AM   #11627
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Yeah, he is indispensable. We will never succeed without him, unlike, you know, the 16 teams that somehow made the playoffs without him.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 AM   #11628
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, he is indispensable. We will never succeed without him, unlike, you know, the 16 teams that somehow made the playoffs without him.
He was not the reason we missed. It may have had something to do with atricious coaching, especially on the power play, abysmal 3rd and 4th lines, a 1st line centre playing through multiple injuries that required surgery, multiple other injuries in key positions, a starting goaltender missing a big chunk near the end of the season without a proven replacement, or starting the season with the worst backup in the league, but go ahead, blame it on the top scoring defenseman in the league and the player who ate up the most minutes on the team.

You know, the Oilers need a defenseman more than they need skilled forwards. Do you think they would have made the playoffs if they had traded McDavid for Hamonic? You can't downgrade your team significantly just to fill a positional need. I'm not saying Hamilton is untouchable, but it's much harder to get a good defenseman than a good winger, and the only way that trading him for a winger would be an upgrade would be if that winger was one of the top 5 in the league. Remember, Hamilton is still young and has yet to reach his prime, while still being on a good contract. And who do you want to see playing 25 minutes a game if he is traded, would you prefer Hamonic or Brodie?

Last edited by Macindoc; 05-06-2018 at 12:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #11629
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
All of whom would love to add Hamilton.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 12:44 AM   #11630
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hamilton wasn’t the reason Calgary didn’t make the playoffs. Hamilton is the sort of player you try to build around to get to the next level. Trading him makes little sense unless there is an over the top trade offer out there.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #11631
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Fact: Flames had Hamilton
Fact: Flames missed the playoffs
Fact: 16 teams without Hamilton found a way to make the playoffs

That’s all
Old 05-06-2018, 12:56 AM   #11632
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino View Post
Hamilton wasn’t the reason Calgary didn’t make the playoffs. Hamilton is the sort of player you try to build around to get to the next level. Trading him makes little sense unless there is an over the top trade offer out there.
Honest question. For whom on Vegas would you trade Hamilton.

Ideally 1 for 1

Who did they build around?

Please tell me Engelland
Old 05-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #11633
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we want a star winger hamilton is the only defenceman valued high enough to obtain one
Old 05-06-2018, 03:59 AM   #11634
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fact: Flames had Hamilton
Fact: Flames missed the playoffs
Fact: 16 teams without Hamilton found a way to make the playoffs

That’s all
Best argument ever. Any individual player that doesn't make the playoffs sucks and should be fired into the sun. Haha!

Is he a time bomb or something? Sounds like you're gearing up for a Hall-Larsson type of trade, 'cept a good D-man for a meh forward. Let's not go down that road, or up that highway if you know what I mean.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 06:16 AM   #11635
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fact: Gaudreau Tavares, Price, OEL, ROR, Eichel, Patrick Kane, Seguin, Benn and a bunch of other "star players" played on teams who did the make the playoffs
Fact: Vegas is a team full of cast off players that teams we're willing to give away for nothing
Fact: Vegas is on the brink of the conference finals and those other teams didn't make the playoffs

I'm pretty sure in order to have success in today's NHL you need to only have players other teams don't want which means teams should be willing to over pay for Brouwer since the Flames were willing to give him up for nothing which means the Flames should be able to get at least a first round pick if the Flames trade Brouwer.

That's all.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #11636
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would make more sense to trade Hamilton next year. We'd have a better idea on Valimaki, Fox, and Andersson. Ideally, Brodie rebounds under a new coach and we trade him when his value is higher.

It makes next to no sense to trade Dougie now. If they did trade him, I can almost guarantee that I wouldn't like the return. I like Mark Stone, but I don't think he would help the team as much as Hamilton does.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #11637
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We have players who WANT to play, and win. Brodie is a player who maybe needs a change.
Identify the players who lack the compete desire, regardless of their supposedly "never trade him" status, and attempt to recoup a 1st round pick in this years draft.
I am hoping that with a coaching change, the team turns things around.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:40 AM   #11638
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Fact: Vegas is a team full of cast off players that teams we're willing to give away for nothing
Actually no one was willing to give those players away or nothing.

The rules of expansion required them to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #11639
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t think Treliving is desperate to move Hamilton but anyone on the team can be had for the right offer
The Following User Says Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #11640
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

The only reason in my mind you trade Hamilton, is if he asked to be moved.
Closed Thread