Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #10621
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I dunno man.

Brodie = best player in the deal
Fox = best prospect in the deal

Smith is a worse boat anchor than Brouwer. You must be thinking he's salvageable or something? He finished the season in the AHL and was in the first year of a 4 year deal. Something must have went really off the rails for them to go from inking him to a 4 year deal to banishing him in the period of 6 months.

Hayes is an arbitration case, but a decent add and Fast would be a nice depth piece to bring in for sure, but I can't help but feel like Calgary is getting torched in this deal unless the picks added from the Rangers side are significant.
Well that 2019 2nd could be a 1st rounder if Tampa wins the cup this year or next, so that's pretty valuable. I also don't think it's cut and dried that Brodie is a better or more valuable player than Hayes. I think they are about the same, actually. Hayes 25 goals this year would've been second on the roster, his mix of size and goals is exactly what the Flames are missing. Also, he's a potential pivot option for Gaudreau, and the flames would be significantly better if they could give teams looks other than Gaudreau with Monahan 110% of the time.

Hayes is only 25, fits in line with the age group of the Flames and has previous chemistry with the team's best player. Smith I think is salvageable, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the Rangers probably have to move on from him because they can't get cap relief burying him in the minors next year, it's a terrible way to manage talent relations and they'd probably just like to get something, anything, for him at this point. Smith may not want to come to Calgary due to his no-trade but who knows what a guy from Mimico wants. In this trade scenario the rangers retain some cap on Smith.

Jesper Fast is a right-shooting RW and more importantly an NHL quality body. Bennett - Janko - Fast is a hell of a lot better than Bennett - Janko - Hathaway/Brouwer

To me, the evaluations look like this:

Brodie = Hayes
Brouwer = Smith with salary retention (bad apple for bad apple)
Fox = Fast + 1st or 2nd round pick.

It's not a great trade, but it's the type of trade this franchise will likely be looking to make if they want to shakeup the roster while refusing to rebuild it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #10622
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Well that 2019 2nd could be a 1st rounder if Tampa wins the cup this year or next, so that's pretty valuable. I also don't think it's cut and dried that Brodie is a better or more valuable player than Hayes. I think they are about the same, actually. Hayes 25 goals this year would've been second on the roster, his mix of size and goals is exactly what the Flames are missing. Also, he's a potential pivot option for Gaudreau, and the flames would be significantly better if they could give teams looks other than Gaudreau with Monahan 110% of the time.

Hayes is only 25, fits in line with the age group of the Flames and has previous chemistry with the team's best player. Smith I think is salvageable, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the Rangers probably have to move on from him because they can't get cap relief burying him in the minors next year, it's a terrible way to manage talent relations and they'd probably just like to get something, anything, for him at this point. Smith may not want to come to Calgary due to his no-trade but who knows what a guy from Mimico wants. In this trade scenario the rangers retain some cap on Smith.

Jesper Fast is a right-shooting RW and more importantly an NHL quality body. Bennett - Janko - Fast is a hell of a lot better than Bennett - Janko - Hathaway/Brouwer

To me, the evaluations look like this:

Brodie = Hayes
Brouwer = Smith with salary retention (bad apple for bad apple)
Fox = Fast + 1st or 2nd round pick.

It's not a great trade, but it's the type of trade this franchise will likely be looking to make if they want to shakeup the roster while refusing to rebuild it.
If Smith is salvageable, and Hayes can be inked to a fair deal, I'd definitely be interested then. Not sure if I'd trust our pro scouts to make the judgement call on Smith though. They're judgement seems spotty at best.

I may be wrong, but I really can see Fox playing out his college career and then signing out East as a free agent closer to home. And the Rags are a team that always seems to be in on these types of signings. Hayes himself is a prime example, as well as Vesey just recently.

I'd still rather use Brodie/Fox to get a guy like ROR and maybe Alex Nylander as an add on, but if that wasn't available this could be palatable i suppose.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #10623
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are using valuable pieces to only add somebody like Hayes to the team, there is a big issue there.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #10624
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hayes didn’t want to come here to play with Johnny when he had the chance as a free agent
Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #10625
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Hayes didn’t want to come here to play with Johnny when he had the chance as a free agent
Things change, he had the New York Rangers sign him when they were a contending team while we were a team that was not even close to competing for a playoff spot. Now, things are changing a little. I am sure that if I am Hayes, I'd be down to go to a team that has a better chance for me to make the playoffs and also a great opportunity to get some first line minutes with one of the best wingers in the game that he already knows and also a really good center in Monahan.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #10626
logan_izer10
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Things change, he had the New York Rangers sign him when they were a contending team while we were a team that was not even close to competing for a playoff spot. Now, things are changing a little. I am sure that if I am Hayes, I'd be down to go to a team that has a better chance for me to make the playoffs and also a great opportunity to get some first line minutes with one of the best wingers in the game that he already knows and also a really good center in Monahan.
I attended a practice a while back when Gaudreau's parents were in town. Ended up sitting next to them and chatting with them throughout the entire practice. It was when the Rangers were in town and they were talking about Kevin. They are very close to him. Apparently Kevin's parents are unwell and he wants to play on the East coast. This was the primary reason he never came to the Flames.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to logan_izer10 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #10627
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Hayes an actual upgrade over Ferland? On paper it doesn't look like it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #10628
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I don't see either as a top 6 forward unless they were playing with Gaudreau
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #10629
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rule #1 of a trade should be that you never give up the best player & the best prospect in the deal.

That pretty much guarantees you are making a quality for quantity trade.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #10630
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yeah I don't get the hype for this player. He's an upgrade (he does have a track record of scoring 20 goals for more than just one season) over Ferland but certainly not a player the Flames should consider a difference maker.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #10631
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Uh, yes?

What paper are you looking at?
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #10632
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

OFF SEASON TRADE PREDICTION:

JANKOWSKI - NOT TRADED
HAMILTON - NOT TRADED

Despite every other fan trade proposal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #10633
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Uh, yes?

What paper are you looking at?
His stats, which is just a surface level look I realize

14-22
17-32
25-19

Last 3 seasons

Ferland was 21-20 this year.
It seems like he's a better player but I'm not sure by how much. I think the Flames need a larger upgrade on that right side than what he looks to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #10634
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland's going to have a great year. Keep him for this season.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #10635
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
I've always thought that Buffalo would be a likely trade destination for Fox if the Flames were considering moving him, but with the Rangers doing what they've done in the last year and a half, I'm inclined to think that's the best trading partner for Calgary.

He's from Long Island. He's got a Brian Leetch vibe to him. The Rangers are right at the start of a rebuild where (good teams) covet defenders above all else. The Rangers have attractive roster players for a team wanting to win-now (the Flames) and are also willing to acquire more draft picks via trade (which benefits Calgary as they are willing to move draft picks to increase value).

Brodie + Fox + Brouwer to the Rangers for Kevin Hayes + Brendan Smith + Jesper Fast with some picks to round out the edges? Maybe the 2019 2nd Tampa gave the Rangers?

If you are inclined to believe the Rangers beat writers, the reason AV was fired was because of his refusal to play the young defenders they have already. You cant have to many young guys on the blueline, no debate there, but they are supposedly deep in that area already if the scribes are correct.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:35 AM   #10636
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
His stats, which is just a surface level look I realize

14-22
17-32
25-19

Last 3 seasons

Ferland was 21-20 this year.
It seems like he's a better player but I'm not sure by how much. I think the Flames need a larger upgrade on that right side than what he looks to be.
They are the same age and one player has produced twice as many points as the other over their careers. One player can play both Centre and Wing. Ferland had a shooting percentage of 14.6%. Hayes had a shooting percentage of 14.5%

Hayes had a 42% offensive zone start percentage this year and scored 25 goals. That's a lower percentage of offensive zone starts than Backlund. The rangers had two players finish as + players this year, Hayes was one of them. He finished 2 goals off the team lead but posted a +24 differential than the team leader in goals.

Hayes has been a better player than Ferland his whole career. He was a better player than Ferland this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 AM   #10637
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
If you are inclined to believe the Rangers beat writers, the reason AV was fired was because of his refusal to play the young defenders they have already. You cant have to many young guys on the blueline, no debate there, but they are supposedly deep in that area already if the scribes are correct.
My inclination is this is even more evidence they'd look to acquire a top young defensive prospects.

1) Can't have too many
2) They've clearly already identified the strategy is to build from the defense out
3) All the more reason to get Brendan Smith out of there.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #10638
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that 2019 2nd could be a 1st rounder if Tampa wins the cup this year or next, so that's pretty valuable.
Prediction: Even if this trade materialized in some fashion, the Rangers wouldn't include this pick until they knew if it as a first or second round pick.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #10639
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are the same age and one player has produced twice as many points as the other over their careers. One player can play both Centre and Wing. Ferland had a shooting percentage of 14.6%. Hayes had a shooting percentage of 14.5%

Hayes had a 42% offensive zone start percentage this year and scored 25 goals. That's a lower percentage of offensive zone starts than Backlund. The rangers had two players finish as + players this year, Hayes was one of them. He finished 2 goals off the team lead but posted a +24 differential than the team leader in goals.

Hayes has been a better player than Ferland his whole career. He was a better player than Ferland this year.
Do you think he's enough of an upgrade? I guess that's my point. At best it seems like he's a better more reliable version of Ferland.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:59 AM   #10640
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you think he's enough of an upgrade? I guess that's my point. At best it seems like he's a better more reliable version of Ferland.
I don't get the argument though, or why Ferland was even brought up.

In Flash's proposal he didn't trade away Ferland or any forward for that matter except Brouwer.

So, we would have both Hayes and Ferland. And also Fast.

Plus, if Brendan Smith can be salvaged he helps fill the void left by Brodie, if Kulak, Kylington or Valaimaki can't.

He's added two useful forwards to the top 9 without removing any.

Still not sure if I would do that trade, but I get where he's coming from.
Closed Thread