Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I always get a kick out of that video

Firstly, watching the defender covering Putin on each goal. They do what they can, tons of pressure, but his hands are just too good.

And I am pretty sure that carpet there ended up rolled up inside another carpet and deep sixed.
Now that you mention it, it did seem as though the Arena announcer was conspicuously absent near the end there...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #22
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I always get a kick out of that video

Firstly, watching the defender covering Putin on each goal. They do what they can, tons of pressure, but his hands are just too good.

And I am pretty sure that carpet there ended up rolled up inside another carpet and deep sixed.
Just unreal talent there, makes it look effortless against a tough D. Is he eligible for the draft next year? Wouldn't mind the flames taking a flyer on this guy.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
Just unreal talent there, makes it look effortless against a tough D. Is he eligible for the draft next year? Wouldn't mind the flames taking a flyer on this guy.
Well, if he comes with the ability to "lean" on the opposing team, it could be the greatest draft choice in Flames' history. The real question is - is the "leaning" skill transferable to North America?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #24
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are looking to add intimidation to their lineup...well, I think the threat of chemical poisoning might keep some slashes away from Johnny's hands.

Not that I condone that kind of thing, but...it's hard to argue against the effectiveness of such a ploy.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #25
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Plus I read somewhere he likes horseback riding. The more I learn it seems like just a perfect fit for the city of Calgary. I tried to find his junior league team stats but didn't have much luck, he was on some team with the name shortened to "KGB" in the stat line. Not sure what city that is. I heard Russia is a big place though.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #26
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
Plus I read somewhere he likes horseback riding. The more I learn it seems like just a perfect fit for the city of Calgary. I tried to find his junior league team stats but didn't have much luck, he was on some team with the name shortened to "KGB" in the stat line. Not sure what city that is. I heard Russia is a big place though.
You misheard, it was bear back riding not bareback riding that Putin likes.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #27
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
You misheard, it was bear back riding not bareback riding that Putin likes.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Every time I see that there is a new post here I open it being just a little afraid for Panarin
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2019, 01:55 PM   #29
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'd be more concerned about being a member of Panarin's family still living in Russia.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #30
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'd be more concerned about being a member of Panarin's family still living in Russia.
This is a very minor interview. Nothing is going to happen because of it, except for maybe Panarin will not be called to Russian national team. And I actually believe that most likely he will be called up. The interview may sound ballsy, but it is actually toothless and overall it comes out as some stupid rant rather than some thought out opinion.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:54 PM   #31
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Doesn't this interviewer have a history of making bizarre claims about Russian players and teams, like how Ovechkin is worse than Eichel and would never win a cup or that the KHL team Putin supports would win the Gargarin cup b/c Putin fixed the league (right before that team lost)? Seems like a guy who likes to stir the pot.
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #32
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
This is a very minor interview. Nothing is going to happen because of it, except for maybe Panarin will not be called to Russian national team. And I actually believe that most likely he will be called up. The interview may sound ballsy, but it is actually toothless and overall it comes out as some stupid rant rather than some thought out opinion.
It's not on Artemi Panarin to give a statement with teeth about Vladimir Putin.

He's a hockey player. That he's even making comments at all is significant. Would you rather he not say it? Is he wrong? Does the world have Vlad all wrong?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #33
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Way to stay in formation, Komrade

Last edited by White Out 403; 07-23-2019 at 09:41 AM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #34
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
Doesn't this interviewer have a history of making bizarre claims about Russian players and teams, like how Ovechkin is worse than Eichel and would never win a cup or that the KHL team Putin supports would win the Gargarin cup b/c Putin fixed the league (right before that team lost)? Seems like a guy who likes to stir the pot.
It was the guy, who translated the interview into English (Melamud), who made that stupid "KHL is fixed" claim. Not the interviewer himself.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #35
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It's not on Artemi Panarin to give a statement with teeth about Vladimir Putin.

He's a hockey player. That he's even making comments at all is significant. Would you rather he not say it? Is he wrong? Does the world have Vlad all wrong?
About half if his comments are way off. Like that country is as poor, as it was in 90s. Or like Putin is somehow responsible for that brightest Russians are leaving the country. So do Chinese, Indians, Philippinians, Pakistanis and even New Zealanders. The brightest people from all countries are flocking to the west and it in no way indicates that country leader is doing a bad job. If anything, it shows that Russia has open borders, as opposed to Iron curtains.

Panarin is correct about Putin staying in power for way too long and about Russia having almost no freedom of speech.

All in all, Panarin will not be poisoned with polonium, thrown into jail or even banned from national team for this - although there is a slight chance of the latter.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #36
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Well, if you bother to check out my posting history, you will find out, that my daughter is usa citizen and I am currently in the process of immigrating to New Zealand
Old 07-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #37
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Oh, the irony
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #38
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About half if his comments are way off. Like that country is as poor, as it was in 90s. Or like Putin is somehow responsible for that brightest Russians are leaving the country. So do Chinese, Indians, Philippinians, Pakistanis and even New Zealanders. The brightest people from all countries are flocking to the west and it in no way indicates that country leader is doing a bad job. If anything, it shows that Russia has open borders, as opposed to Iron curtains.

Panarin is correct about Putin staying in power for way too long and about Russia having almost no freedom of speech.

All in all, Panarin will not be poisoned with polonium, thrown into jail or even banned from national team for this - although there is a slight chance of the latter.
You don't think having a murderous dictator in charge contributes to brain drain?

You listed off China, India, the Philippines, Pakistan, and for some reason New Zealand - China is literally committing a genocide at this very moment. The Philippines is engaged in massive state sponsored murder of 'drug addicts' and journalists. As for Pakistan, when asked what keeps him up at night more than anything as President, Barack Obama answered "Pakistan's nukes".

I think there's a reason all the smart people flee the places and end up in Vancouver, and it has a lot to do with who's in charge.

As for the Russian economy... Russia is a mobbed up Petro state. Whether or not the country is de facto poorer or richer than when the oligarchs were hoovering up Russia's wealth for pennies on the ruble is irrelevant - something has gone wrong inside that country, and its people are paying for it.

So good for Panarin. Public criticism of the Dear Leader in a totalitarian state should always be commended.

New Zealand is beautiful, I hope your application is successful
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #39
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You don't think having a murderous dictator in charge contributes to brain drain?

You listed off China, India, the Philippines, Pakistan, and for some reason New Zealand - China is literally committing a genocide at this very moment. The Philippines is engaged in massive state sponsored murder of 'drug addicts' and journalists. As for Pakistan, when asked what keeps him up at night more than anything as President, Barack Obama answered "Pakistan's nukes".

I think there's a reason all the smart people flee the places and end up in Vancouver, and it has a lot to do with who's in charge.

As for the Russian economy... Russia is a mobbed up Petro state. Whether or not the country is de facto poorer or richer than when the oligarchs were hoovering up Russia's wealth for pennies on the ruble is irrelevant - something has gone wrong inside that country, and its people are paying for it.

So good for Panarin. Public criticism of the Dear Leader in a totalitarian state should always be commended.

New Zealand is beautiful, I hope your application is successful
Yes, I don't think having murderous dictator in charge contributes to the brain drain. Brain drain is mostly about going from relatively poor country to relatively rich. Even if the country itself is democratic and progressive, such as New Zealand, brightest still flock to bigger markets such as Australia or USA. You need to look nno further than Backlund, Rittich and Valimaki, to see that ambitious people just go to bigger markets regardless of who is in charge of the country. Otherwise, it would be refugees, not brain drain, and Russia doesn't really produce refugees.

Having been in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, England and Singapore, I can say rhat Russia, while inferior, is nowhere near a poverty hellhole some may believe it is.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #40
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard nothing but great things about Russia from people who have visited Russia.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: