Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2019, 05:18 AM   #61
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm no Trekkie, but seeing those old faces again gets me both nostalgic and aroused.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #62
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Marina Sirtis tweeted that she and Riker will also be in the series.

Yup, I'm freaking excited as all hell right now.

Hopefully they won't try to squeeze them into their uniforms like they did in Enterprise.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #63
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Hopefully they won't try to squeeze them into their uniforms like they did in Enterprise.

They'll have been forcibly retired and married after Riker drunkenly flew the USS Titan into the moon while saying "Watch this baby"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:11 AM   #64
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only thing is, I hope they portray the Borg as in their STTNG appearance. I despised the look they gave them in the movie.

I think they'll probably add some Q in there too for fun.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #65
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My only thing is, I hope they portray the Borg as in their STTNG appearance. I despised the look they gave them in the movie.

I think they'll probably add some Q in there too for fun.

The early Borg pre queen were terrifying and such a great concept. Even in First Contact even though they added a emotional horny queen they were still a great concept. The story line where the Borg broke down in TNG thanks to Hugh was actually not badly done.

Then they had their heart ripped out in Voyager.

I agree, I would love to have them go back to a true collective without a queen as a character or face of the collective.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #66
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Patrick Stewart should be president of the world.
He's actually a total tit in real life. I listened to his Howard Stern interview from a couple years ago and he's just a lame drama geek. Still an awesome actor and I can't wait for Picard, but don't confuse Captain Picard with Patrick Stewart.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #67
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeri Ryan is 51?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #68
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Jeri Ryan is 51?
Brent Spiner is 70.

This is gonna be geriatric Star Trek. Still looks pretty good.

The name, however, is awful.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Brent Spiner is 70.

This is gonna be geriatric Star Trek. Still looks pretty good.

The name, however, is awful.

Yet Patrick Stewart is 79 and never seems to age. Maybe that's the benefit of early baldness.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #70
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yet Patrick Stewart is 79 and never seems to age. Maybe that's the benefit of early baldness.
Hes probably drinking Keanu Reeves' blood.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #71
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been watching a bunch of TNG and it's so damn good. Some of the secondary characters are notably weak and the dialogue can be tough in places. But it is high quality storytelling. And it has something to say. It has a worldview.

"There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but you ignore their personal liberties, and freedom. Order a man to hand his child over to the State? Not while I'm his captain."

I swear to God that made me cry when I watched it last week. It would be really nice if the man who said that was the most popular man on television again. I think in 2019, the world could do with a cup of Earl Grey tea and Captain Picard.

But we're not going to get that, are we. We're going to get action schlock starring an 87 year old man when we could have Shakespeare on the Moon.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #72
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny when you look at the evolution of Picard.

In year 1 of next generation, he just wasn't good in the role, he was stiff, and cold in the role, and it didn't help that year 1 and 2 they just didn't have a rhythm.

From year 3 to 7 they did a really good job on the series and had a bunch of strong episodes. Stewart was very good in his role as they allowed him to be more human and have failings.

The problem though is as it went along the show basically became the Picard and Data show and everyone else was essentially a cameo on their own show.

Then Stewart decided that he wanted his role to be more action oriented and they went triple of nothing on Picard and Data being the show. This reflected in the horrific movies that kept getting worse and worse, as we got action Picard and Super Solution Data.

If they want to get my faith back the series should start with a flashback to the movies, and then Picard wakes up out of a 10 year coma and realizes that those movies were all a horrible dream. This would shove them out of Canon and the adventures of the Enterprise would have ended with All Good Things.

Then the first scene after that would be him being invited to the roll out of the new Enterprise M or something like that.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:41 AM   #73
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh, for me, TNG has not aged well. I never had any particular attachment to it despite my mom being a big trekkie, so I'm in the odd spot of having seen literally every episode at least once, while still being more or less objective about it.

From where I sit, it was a heavily plot driven, entirely episodic show with a whole lot of deus ex machina driving the resolution to each story - which is a sort of catchy, pulp paperback page turning sort of storytelling, but it's pretty superficial. The writing was often enormously cheesy, and aside from the generally good and occasionally excellent work from Patrick Stewart, the acting is... bad. The technical stuff - sound design, lighting, is typical 90's drama. As for the characters themselves, other than Data and Picard, I'm not sure if anyone actually develops throughout the series. The thing it did well was telling what were basically simple, easily digestible morality tales, but they were playing to a pretty low common denominator even there.

I honestly think the popularity in retrospect is a product of how bad 90's TV was in general. Once BSG came along it became clear what sci fi shows could have been all that time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #74
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Eh, for me, TNG has not aged well. I never had any particular attachment to it despite my mom being a big trekkie, so I'm in the odd spot of having seen literally every episode at least once, while still being more or less objective about it.

From where I sit, it was a heavily plot driven, entirely episodic show with a whole lot of deus ex machina driving the resolution to each story - which is a sort of catchy, pulp paperback page turning sort of storytelling, but it's pretty superficial. The writing was often enormously cheesy, and aside from the generally good and occasionally excellent work from Patrick Stewart, the acting is... bad. The technical stuff - sound design, lighting, is typical 90's drama. As for the characters themselves, other than Data and Picard, I'm not sure if anyone actually develops throughout the series. The thing it did well was telling what were basically simple, easily digestible morality tales, but they were playing to a pretty low common denominator even there.

I honestly think the popularity in retrospect is a product of how bad 90's TV was in general. Once BSG came along it became clear what sci fi shows could have been all that time.
I couldn’t disagree more. TNG is one of my favourite series all time. I’ve watched many episodes several times.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Also would like to see Picard heading to Star Fleet and walking by the Admiral Janeway memorial washroom, where he stops to have a Chakotay.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #76
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's always worth watching a new Half in the Bag, but this one kind of nails the Picard vibe for me. I really want to like it, but Alex Kurtzmann is in the Trinity of Scumbags for me, with Rian Johnson and Roberto Orci.

Picard talk starts at 4:30
Old 07-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #77
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It's always worth watching a new Half in the Bag, but this one kind of nails the Picard vibe for me. I really want to like it, but Alex Kurtzmann is in the Trinity of Scumbags for me, with Rian Johnson and Roberto Orci.

Picard talk starts at 4:30
That's a thing? What makes you hate them so much?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #78
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Also would like to see Picard heading to Star Fleet and walking by the Admiral Janeway memorial washroom, where he stops to have a Chakotay.
Sorry, CC, but that is cringe worthy.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #79
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Roberto Orci : The Amazing Spider-man 2, Star Trek into Darkness, Transformers, Mission Impossible 3. Luckily they've shuffled him off to TV doing the Scorpion and Hawaii Five-0, but for a while they kept giving him major franchises, where he would bring the franchise to a screeching halt.

Rian Johnson : Star Wars.... it's still too fresh, can't talk about it.

Alex Kurtzmann : co-written everything Orci did. It actually took two of them. Plus the Mummy and Star Trek Discovery. Now they are giving him Bride of Frankenstein, when the original was so incredibly good. He will ruin that, and he's the head of the whole WB Monsters Universe. He did the Mummy Cruise.

These three have screwed up soooo badly, and keep getting hired on for new projects, that you just know are going to be badly done. Literally a guy off the street can do a better job, but these three get credit for box office return, as if they were the reason people go to see a Star Wars film, or a Star Trek movie.

If you have a character or series that you love and grew up with, and then one of these three get their hands on it, it will be made to crap. It's very frustrating that they continue to exist.

I will be interested in this thread later to see if there were a litany of missed opportunities in the Picard show, or if it's the unicorn that sidestepped Kurtzmann's horrible ideas.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #80
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

I will be interested in this thread later to see if there were a litany of missed opportunities in the Picard show, or if it's the unicorn that sidestepped Kurtzmann's horrible ideas.
According to IMDB, Kurtzman is only involved in 1 episode of Picard in regards to the writing. And Orci doesn't appear to be involved at all. Stewart himself was also reported to be heavily involved in the process. I think this show will be fine.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote