Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #1861
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

When will the fate of McCall lake be known?

The McCall Lake Feasibility Study Report (CPS2014-0398) was approved by Council’s Standing Policy Committee on Community & Protective Services July 2, 2014. The report and recommendations will go forward to Council for final consideration and decision on July 21, 2014. The report can be accessed online at agendaminutes.calgary.ca.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #1862
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know there was previous LED streetlight discussion in here, so this reply goes in here.

New streetlights coming to 5 Calgary communities
The City has announced plans to install new energy-efficient LED streetlights in five Calgary communities.

Installations have already started in Altadore, and will continue in Douglasdale, Marlborough, Tuxedo Park and Brentwood throughout the summer and into the fall.

A total of 2,500 new energy-efficient LED streetlights will be installed.

The new fixtures are predicted to reduce electricity consumption up to 55 per cent, and provide virtually no wasted or spilled light.

“The LED technology will not only reduce electricity use and lower maintenance costs, but will also provide better quality lighting for our communities and roadways,” says Barry Poon, Acting Director of Roads.

The City plans to eventually undertake a city-wide retrofit of approximately 80,000 fixtures.

The fixtures selected for the first phase of the project are GE’s energy efficient Evolve™ LED Roadway Scalable Cobrahead fixtures.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1468960/ne...y-communities/

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #1863
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

That's awesome. I wish Barry Poon would have picked my neighbourhood.

Cities with white street lights look so much better from a distance. I will miss the eerie brown glowing winter skies we get from light pollution though.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #1864
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What company is doing the Bow Trail repave? Whoever is doing it is doing a crappy job. I know it isn't finished yet, but it is looks terrible and feels terrible.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #1865
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Calgary one of the only cities that does road work by excavating sections along the edge of the roadway (curb) and leaving them open for weeks at a time? The crews put up the occasional cone and those wood and re-bar "barricades" but it has always seemed like a bad idea to me and I have never seen similar construction in other cities.

How many vehicles every summer put a tire into the open area and potentially screw up their vehicles? This morning one of the cones indicating an open excavation portion along the curb on Memorial Drive was a quarter into the lane and was causing some very erratic swerving.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #1866
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
What company is doing the Bow Trail repave? Whoever is doing it is doing a crappy job. I know it isn't finished yet, but it is looks terrible and feels terrible.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #1867
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brentwood gets picked for an inordinate amount of these pilots it seems.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #1868
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Cities with white street lights look so much better from a distance. I will miss the eerie brown glowing winter skies we get from light pollution though.
Won't somebody please think of the blue-orange contrast?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #1869
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Hey Bunk,

Noticed another C-Train project again this weekend, (Southland, Heritage, and Chinook) and the way they had the shuttle set up was ridiculous. They shoulda had one shuttle go straight to the 39th ST station for those that were going downtown or other quadrants of the train service, and a second one doing the stops. It took me over 90 minutes to get downtown from Fish Creek. Anyway, it's done now, nothing can be done about it except maybe an idea for next time.

My question is... How close are we to having all these platforms lengthened? Is it nearly done? Fourth car coming soon? And when they are finally all standardized, are we still going to have maintenance and repair seasons in what seems like at least one weekend a month? Often the long weekends.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #1870
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon

My question is... How close are we to having all these platforms lengthened? Is it nearly done? Fourth car coming soon? And when they are finally all standardized, are we still going to have maintenance and repair seasons in what seems like at least one weekend a month? Often the long weekends.
One problem that exists for 4 car trains is how the section of track between 7th Ave and the Bow River will be handled on the NW line. I'm sure the city and Calgary Transit has a plan for that though.

The problem is that the tracks between 4 and 5 Ave and 5 and 6 Ave are too short to fit 4 car trains. The trains going into and leaving 7 Ave will have to make a clean run from 4 Ave to 7 ave which might cause backups along 7 Ave, the NW line or the roadways that cross the tracks.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #1871
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh Heya Bunk:

When is the 2nd Access to Evanston off of Stoney Trail going to commence work / be complete?
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #1872
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bunk, who is Mayor Nenshi's least liked member of council, and why is it Sean Chu?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #1873
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Straightfire.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #1874
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has probably been mentioned already but WTF is going on with Northmount Dr? First they changed all the lanes around so that there's a bus route and the rest of the lanes make no sense at all. And now they are actually taking these lanes away to give what looks like buffers to a bike lane.

I'm all well and good with bike lanes, but does there really need to be a buffer that takes up what would be an entire lane of car traffic? Couldnt a normal sized 6 inch curb be buffer enough? How can needlessly taking an entire lane of traffic away help anything?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #1875
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Oh Heya Bunk:

When is the 2nd Access to Evanston off of Stoney Trail going to commence work / be complete?
Do you mean 14th Street and Stoney Trail? Work should be starting...now.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #1876
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
This has probably been mentioned already but WTF is going on with Northmount Dr? First they changed all the lanes around so that there's a bus route and the rest of the lanes make no sense at all. And now they are actually taking these lanes away to give what looks like buffers to a bike lane.

I'm all well and good with bike lanes, but does there really need to be a buffer that takes up what would be an entire lane of car traffic? Couldnt a normal sized 6 inch curb be buffer enough? How can needlessly taking an entire lane of traffic away help anything?
Northland Drive is way wider than it will ever need to be. If you include the existing bus/bike lane, there are sometimes 3 lanes in each direction. All for a road that doesn't really see a lot of traffic. Cars will still get 2 in most places, in each direction, as they do now.

I'm fine with the separated bike lanes because that road will never see enough traffic to warrant its size, and the painted bike lanes (particularly southbound) were a confusing mess for everyone.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #1877
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Why is failing to understand population density not a newsworthy gaffe for a city councillor?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #1878
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Hey Bunk,

Noticed another C-Train project again this weekend, (Southland, Heritage, and Chinook) and the way they had the shuttle set up was ridiculous. They shoulda had one shuttle go straight to the 39th ST station for those that were going downtown or other quadrants of the train service, and a second one doing the stops. It took me over 90 minutes to get downtown from Fish Creek. Anyway, it's done now, nothing can be done about it except maybe an idea for next time.

Will pass that along.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #1879
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
Oh Heya Bunk:

budgeted and scheduled for 2015 construction. It won't take too long as it's not a full interchange yet - it's basically a right-in, right-out access.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM   #1880
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Bunk, who is Mayor Nenshi's least liked member of council, and why is it Sean Chu?
It's easily Councillor for Ward 15.

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple