Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Spider-Man: Far From Home *Spoiler thread* first post spoilers

I checked out Spider-Man FFH the other day and thought we should have it’s own thread.

Really enjoyed it. I like the bait and switch with Mysterio and the way they updated his character was very well done and believable. They did a great job of balancing the action vs the Parker life, which really is the essence of Spider-Man. We have to be just as invested in Peter as Spider-Man, and having Spider-Man duties actively sabotaging his chances with MJ is classic Peter Parker.

I hope Becks not dead. Marvel is always killing its better villains and there is a lot of potential with him, especially with how the after credits scene went. JK Simmons reprising as Jameson is a huge treat. He really is made for it. I hope he sticks around for some other parts in the franchise.

The action against Mysterio was top notch. It was very reminiscent of Into The Spiderverse and gave me flashbacks to the Spider-Man 2 video, which heavily featured Mysterio. The only disappointment I had is I paid for DBox cuz I thought it’d be cool with all the swinging and stuff, but despite a relatively empty theatre someone was right beside my seat when I got there and I felt weird about it. So I missed out on that.

I’d say equal to or better than Homecoming and Tom Holland further cements himself as the best Spider-Man.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Loved it. Definitely one of the better second acts for individual story arcs in the MCU. I thought Mysterio was spot on, had that greasy used car salesman feeling when he was the 'good guy' and truly felt evil and insane when he was the bad guy.

I also loved how they updated the character from stage theatrics to full blown virtual reality.

The Jameson cameo at the end was just so awesome, at first I was just like "oh hey its him.." then I was like "OH HEY!!! ITS HIM!!!". Awesome, love the fact that they brought him back, he nails that role.

Holland truly does feel like the real Spider-Man at this point, if there ever was any doubt. He's been great in all the movies but more than great he has been consistent. It's hard to find a character that has been consistently good in the MCU besides the tent poles, looks like Holland is ready to take up that mantle.

The Skrulls being Fury made sense in the last end credits scene, because the true Fury would not be so easily duped by that act from Mysterio.

All in all they nailed it, solid movie and I think I like it even better than the first which is rare for any 'trilogy' or multi movie arc.

Still not Winter Soldier good obviously But great none the less. Excited to see what they do with Spider-Man next.

The last end credits scene is basically foreshadowing a Secret Invasion story arc? I mean all the Skrulls can't be good?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked it and I liked it more than the Spiderman Homecoming. My favourite scene was him building a new suit and designing it with electrical charges that could take out the drones. Now that is the Peter Parker that I think of, but that we haven't really seen in the movies so far. It still kind of bugged me that he was using Stark tech to do it.

Oh, and I love the Dailybugle.net being a Alex Jones/infowars type deal. That was awesome.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 PM   #4
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put a review in the sci fi thread but will add more here. Damn this was a great movie and Mysterio was a delight. Having the villain creating CGI monsters was a brilliant way to get around any criticism about over use of CGI.

My only nit picks are the typical Marvel over use of action cutting and forcing humour into sad or dangerous situations. Also a couple things with Mysterio. Did he really need to use his illusions during that bar scene? He could have taken Peter into any pub in Prague. Also, it seemed like the illusions would have taken hundreds of man hours to develop the CGI, program the drones, and conduct rehearsals. How was he able to create those illusions for Spider-man on like a day's notice?

I love how this sets up the next Spider-man movie and the next phase of the MCU. Fingers crossed we might even get a Sinister Six movie one day.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooo yeah the Skrulls I knew I forgot something!

I actually had thought Fury might have been a Skrull since he died in Winter Soldier, but then I thought Captain Marvel and the Skrull twist sort of dismantled that. Cool to see I was sort of right. How long has it been? Was it really him at Starks funeral? When would he have gone into space?

I think they could still do secret invasion. The Kree are basically humans for the most part. Some of them are blue, but they just just wouldn’t use the blue ones for invading Earth. Ahhh so many possibilities!

When I saw the trailers for FFH I thought Mysterio maybe took Spider-Man back to his universe, then he comes back here, and thought they might tie a venom thing into that. But either way. Lots of water eggs lots of fun.

Me personally, I think Avengers tower was purchased by Osborne and we’ll see him develop into a baddy for both Spider-Man and the future Avengers. They have a small Easter egg for Fantastic 4 that some people think means it’s the new Baxter building, but I still think it’s Oscorp.

Last edited by Coach; 07-16-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote