Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 04:48 PM   #1021
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

on TSN, Dreger says that Treliving tried to send Monahan to Arizona first. They thought they had a deal but it fell through.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/~2575637
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #1022
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau was the super hot person at the bar that you hooked up with a few times, but couldn’t keep because they were out of your league.

Tkachuk was the complete package. The dream person. Your first love. They broke your heart.

Monahan? Monahan was the RIGHT person. The person next door you neglected, but shouldn’t have. The person that you reflect back on thinking “they were right for me all along”, but you blew it because you were busy dreaming of Gaudreau and chasing Tkachuk.

I miss Mony.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:05 PM   #1023
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Gaudreau was the super hot person at the bar that you hooked up with a few times, but couldn’t keep because they were out of your league.

Tkachuk was the complete package. The dream person. Your first love. They broke your heart.

Monahan? Monahan was the RIGHT person. The person next door you neglected, but shouldn’t have. The person that you reflect back on thinking “they were right for me all along”, but you blew it because you were busy dreaming of Gaudreau and chasing Tkachuk.

I miss Mony.

This …
Hits….
Hard.

Truth hurts the most, wish we kept him.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #1024
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

I miss Mony.

Losers in the Johnny thread are whining about people sounding like bitter exes and you’re over here saying “hold my beer.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:08 PM   #1025
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is a champ and deserves a great video package and a long standing O tonight.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:16 PM   #1026
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Losers in the Johnny thread are whining about people sounding like bitter exes and you’re over here saying “hold my beer.”
I just don’t get negativity towards ex-players.

I became a season ticket holder in Johnny’s rookie season, and this past era (Sean, Johnny, Chucky, Gio) kind of became “my Flames” team. I was too young for the Stanley Cup team - I didn’t really become a fan until Ronnie Stern, Marty McInnis, Cory Stillman, Valeri Bure, and some kid with corn rows were on TV while Ed Whalen was talking about barns burning. My current level of fandom really started to set in around 2006/2007, and really hit stride with becoming a STH…I felt some attachment to that team (2014’ish onward) - watching Gaudreau, Mony and those guys develop into stars was fun.

…now, twenty some odd games into this new era, I’m kind of having problems connecting with the roster. So yeah, I miss Mony. I also miss Chucky and Johnny.

Last edited by ComixZone; 12-01-2022 at 05:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #1027
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may be in the minority, but moving Mony was fine. It's giving away the first as well that made it a tough one.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:26 PM   #1028
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I just don’t get negativity towards ex-players.

I became a season ticket holder in Johnny’s rookie season, and this past era (Sean, Johnny, Chucky, Gio) kind of became “my Flames” team. I was too young for the Stanley Cup team - I didn’t really become a fan until Ronnie Stern, Marty McInnis, Cory Stillman, Valeri Bure, and some kid with corn rows were on TV while Ed Whalen was talking about burns burning. My current level of fandom really started to set in around 2006/2007, and really hit stride with becoming a STH…I felt some attachment to that team (2014’ish onward) - watching Gaudreau, Mony and those guys develop into stars was fun.

…now, twenty some odd games into this new era, I’m kind of having problems connecting with the roster. So yeah, I miss Mony. I also miss Chucky and Johnny.
There is a definitely a void now. Say what you will about the players, but losing guys like Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and even Bennett means there’s really no young guys with big promise left to root for. There’s no wondering who on this roster is going to be the next #1, or whether they’re finally hit some untapped potential, or who could be the next closest thing to Iginla in terms of legacy. It’s just… eh.

Enjoy a lot of the guys on the team still but it’s missing a lot for me as well this year in terms of connection.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #1029
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coming into this game, the Flames and Habs have identical pt % through 22 games.

3 Flames have scored more goals than Monahan. 4 Flames have more points.

Those statements are kinda cherry-picked, but they're still true.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #1030
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I may be in the minority, but moving Mony was fine. It's giving away the first as well that made it a tough one.
I'm with you on this 100%. But people will argue that it's like trading Mony and a 1st for Kadri even though Kadri was a UFA.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #1031
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I'm with you on this 100%. But people will argue that it's like trading Mony and a 1st for Kadri even though Kadri was a UFA.
Well, if the Canadiens had signed Kadri to that deal a day earlier, would you offer them that trade?
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #1032
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Well, if the Canadiens had signed Kadri to that deal a day earlier, would you offer them that trade?
Yes. Kadri was coming off a monster year, Mohanan was a question mark coming off major surgeries.

Mony is having a great season thus far, and it's easy to second-guess with the benefit of hindsight. But there was no way of knowing for sure that things would unfold the way they have. That said, I still think Kadri finishes the season with significantly more points than Mony.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #1033
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri is also a Flame next season and Monahan wouldn't have been
Old 12-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #1034
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Yes. Kadri was coming off a monster year, Mohanan was a question mark coming off major surgeries.

Mony is having a great season thus far, and it's easy to second-guess with the benefit of hindsight. But there was no way of knowing for sure that things would unfold the way they have. That said, I still think Kadri finishes the season with significantly more points than Mony.
Yeah. I think the only way to criticize the Monahan trade specifically is if you can answer "no" to the hypothetical trade question I posed (which is a defensible response, even back in the summer).
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #1035
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:13 PM   #1036
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He’s a solid middle 6 player and I appreciate Kadri’s grit and drive, but he’s not likely to ever get to the production he had last season. Based on what I’ve seen to date, I’d rather have 1 year of a younger and healthy Monahan (with the possibility of him signing for more), plus another 1st round draft pick, than 7 more years of an aging Kadri.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 11:15 PM   #1037
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Kadri is also a Flame next season and Monahan wouldn't have been
Maybe, maybe not. He could have re-signed.

And That might not be a positive with a $7M price tag for Kadri
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:25 PM   #1038
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Monahan 1, Tkachuk -2
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #1039
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is looking like another abysmal trade for BT.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #1040
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
No I would not,, see Steve Bozeks comment ^^^^^

Also, there's a lot of ifs scenarios with this which I don't see or agree with. For me it's always the current situation, you have a 1st, you have Monahan, you have no cap space. It's the sequence of events. I'm indifferent about the Kadri signing because I'm not a fan of signing aging UFA coming off career years similar to Coleman.

I'd much rather kept Monahan and tried to trade him mid year, still have our first and still have flexibility. Right now we have zero flexibility especially next year, don't have our 1st as currency for the future and Monahan is having a better year.

I didn't like the trade then when it happened, I don't like it now, I probably won't like it in the future. That's just my opinion.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post: