Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #8041
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
...and then lose the player you acquired in the expansions draft? Smort.

Noah Hanifin isn’t some golden goose. He’s a solid player, and he’s young and signed to a market-value deal. If this team can sign Pietrangelo (an elite defenceman), and trade Hanifin for a 1st + 2nd + 2nd? Well that’s an absolute win. You improved your team, and you gained additional assets that are expansion draft exempt.
You really need to stop bringing up the expansion draft as a reason not to do things. It's a half-assed excuse at best.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #8042
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soon. Soon we will see the next vision Flames management puts together. We have all gone full circle here. Everyones dumb for wanting to trade player x and everyone's dumb for not wanting to trade player x, wash rinse repeat.

Then we will all laugh at how overvalued or undervalued player x is in the trade proposals.

We need some Flames juice as we ran out of gas on everything else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #8043
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a legitimate thing to consider and calling it a half-assed excuse is a half-assed take.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #8044
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
You really need to stop bringing up the expansion draft as a reason not to do things. It's a half-assed excuse at best.
Nah, expansion draft is a big time wrinkle in how they gms will do business. Its a big why as to how some players are available, like Markstrom. No expansion draft, he's not even a conversation. Same with the Pittsburgh goalies.

You're not going to trade for a surplus of players you cannot protect. Thats horrible asset management.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #8045
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, then the salary cap. Or the fact Mackey and Valimaki are both pushing into the roster. Also, ignoring the expansion draft would just be unwise. Improving your team while keeping it in mind is important.

Signing Pietrangelo and trading Hanifin for a 1st + 2nd + 2nd is just good management. Get better now, load up for the future. 2nd pairing defenceman are pretty readily available every off-season via trade or free agency, and that’s what Hanifin is. He could one day become a top pairing guy, but is that something I’d bank on rather than signing Pietrangelo? No.

Yeah, it would make sense on paper to trade Giordano and keep Hanifin for long-term reasons, but this team isn’t trading Giordano - at least I don’t think so. Also, trading Gio and keeping Hanifin makes us worse on-ice next season, and this team is trying to win a Cup.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #8046
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why bringing in a #1 RHD would mean we would have to trade our best young LHD. Can't we have both?

As far as the expansion draft is considered, who exactly are we worried about losing if we bring in Pietrangelo (pipes dream anyways)?
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #8047
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Not sure why bringing in a #1 RHD would mean we would have to trade our best young LHD. Can't we have both?

As far as the expansion draft is considered, who exactly are we worried about losing if we bring in Pietrangelo (pipes dream anyways)?
We’d be leaving Gio exposed, which I don’t think will happen. More importantly though, we’d be starving the rest of the roster of cap-availability. Signing Pietrangelo without moving a defenceman gives the team pretty much nothing to work with to improve the rest of the roster.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #8048
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, then the salary cap. Or the fact Mackey and Valimaki are both pushing into the roster. Also, ignoring the expansion draft would just be unwise. Improving your team while keeping it in mind is important.

Signing Pietrangelo and trading Hanifin for a 1st + 2nd + 2nd is just good management. Get better now, load up for the future. 2nd pairing defenceman are pretty readily available every off-season via trade or free agency.

Yeah, it would make sense on paper to trade Giordano and keep Hanifin for long-term reasons, but this team isn’t trading Giordano - at least I don’t think so. Also, trading Gio and keeping Hanifin makes us worse on-ice next season, and this team is trying to win a Cup.
Thats debatable though. Gio could be in the sharp decline stage of things right now. I wouldnt lock Gio in for a roster spot aside from being left uprotected in the expansion draft. We are lucky Valimaki isnt expansion eligible. Because then we would have a massive issue.

So far as of today. I personally would lock down Andersson, Hanifin and Kylington before Gio. Thats just from controlled players on the roster right now.

What is also poor asset management is holding onto 37 year old veterans over early 20s cost controlled players. I love Gio but let's be honest here, he is not long for this league which is now a very young man's game.

Last edited by dammage79; 09-26-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #8049
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Signing Pietrangelo and trading Hanifin for a 1st + 2nd + 2nd is just good management. Get better now, load up for the future. 2nd pairing defenceman are pretty readily available every off-season via trade or free agency, and that’s what Hanifin is. He could one day become a top pairing guy, but is that something I’d bank on rather than signing Pietrangelo? No.

You move other players to save cap space.

Mackey doesn't have 1 second of NHL ice-time, he is not a factor in this decision. Valimaki has 22 game and hasn't played a minute of hockey in over a year and a half, he is not a factor in this decision.

You move Ryan first and foremost and replace him with a cheap 4th line center. Then if we sign Markstrom as suggested in the Duha piece, then we move Rittich for a cheaper backup. That saves us almost as much as Hanifin's contract. There are way smarter ways to get cap complaint.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #8050
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Nah, expansion draft is a big time wrinkle in how they gms will do business. Its a big why as to how some players are available, like Markstrom. No expansion draft, he's not even a conversation. Same with the Pittsburgh goalies.

You're not going to trade for a surplus of players you cannot protect. Thats horrible asset management.
The expansion draft is a full season away. You deal with that next off-season before the expansion draft.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #8051
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No. It is a legitimate reason, not an excuse. Not accounting for the expansion draft would be short sighted and irresponsible. The Flames can’t afford to let what happened to the Wild, Ducks, or Panthers happen to them.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #8052
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
That's been common knowledge and widely speculated since his NYI days. Everybody knows he wants to play in his home province.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Isn't this public knowledge, he has family their and wanted a trade from NY to Western Conference to be close to them as their was an illness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yes. His brother also has a farm south of Winnipeg.

There is also something else but I don't want to use it as a 'source.' I just have it on good knowledge that Hamonic is likely to sign with the Jets if the term and money makes sense.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #8053
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The expansion draft is a full season away. You deal with that next off-season before the expansion draft.
Ah yes, makes sense as to why teams are already doing their prep for it now. Why not wait until the last possible second to get things done and potentially hang yourself if they cant get done in time!
Old 09-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #8054
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Ah yes, makes sense as to why teams are already doing their prep for it now. Why not wait until the last possible second to get things done and potentially hang yourself if they cant get done in time!
Who exactly has made an expansion related move for draft picks?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #8055
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you listen to what Treliving says, he feels it is critical to build from the defence and centre positions. He has often called these a 'premium position'.

Keeping that in mind, any moves related to Monahan or Backlund has to have an eye to improving these positions. I would anticipate that this off-season will include:

1) Signing/trading for a goalie
2) Signing/trading for defencemen
3) Probably not much to do on centres - Flames don't have excess defencemen to trade away.

Flames do have extra wingers to trade for 'premium position' players I guess. However, I think Treliving concentrates on defencemen and goalies this off-season. If Taylor Hall wants to sign here, Flames basically have to sign him - high value acquisition for the team that costs nothing.

I am fine with the Flames rolling:

Giordano - X
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington

Flames need to get a competent defencemen to play with Giordano either through trade or through the UFA market.

That bottom pairing is a huge question mark. I thought Kylington outside of a poor 2 game stretch last season was good enough there, and one can expect him to grow his game with more experience. He isn't going to get better sitting on the bench, and I don't think he gets through waivers (cheap, young and upside). Kylington is a LS defencemen, but he is more comfortable playing the right side apparently. Valimaki was also good whenever he played, but a bigger question mark at the moment simply because he hasn't played in a very long time.

If the Flames manage to secure a decent top 4 defencemen somehow that also makes a strong first pass, then they will have 6 defencemen all capable of moving the puck well. Hopefully it will force Ward to see this team as a fast-transition type of team and implement a system making use of it.

I don't see Gaudreau being shopped for futures - at least not for futures that Calgary will use to 'restock'. This is a team that is trying to win and has a few holes. I would rather keep Gaudreau and 'go for it' with the changes, or I would use him as a trade-chip to get something else 'good' for the roster.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #8056
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We’d be leaving Gio exposed, which I don’t think will happen.
I would bet they will expose Gio, at that time he will have 1 year remaining

In terms of defense I don't think the Flames have any issues with the expansion draft.

However they obviously will need to add....
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #8057
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I threw this togethr using Duha's numbers of 9.5 & 5.5, only trades I made were Ryan and Rittich. It's not ideal to use a 21 man roster, but worst case you use 7 defensemen until you get emergency cap relief. Gawdin & Quine could be replaced with any league min. player. Also, I don't think it would be that hard to save the 250k in cap needed to add an extra forward on the Petro, Markstrom & Mangiapane signings. You can also sign a cheaper defenseman and have Mackey start in the AHL.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 09-26-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 09-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #8058
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Might be tough to trade Ryan without bringing back some salary, and a $1M backup behind Markstrom isn't ideal considering his recent injuries.

Hanifin is the player on the roster most likely to return a legit C prospect, which is what the team really needs.

You've demonstrated that it's possible, but IMO it's just not a good idea to go all-in on Pietro+Markstrom+Hanifin+Gio+existing Forward core
Old 09-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #8059
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any move Tre makes better be done with the expansion draft in mind, like Valimaki sitting out the post season.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #8060
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not saying this is what I want but playing around with some speculation to shake the team up huge

To Hawks: Hanifin
To Flames: Strome (signs 5x5)

To Wild: Monahan+19
To Flames: Dumba+9

To Flyers: Gaudreau+Kylington
To Flames: Gostisbhere, Frost, York, 1st

Sign Hall 8.5x7
Sign Markstrom 5.75x5
Trade Ryan for a 3rd

Rough roster

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Hall-Strome-Mangipane
Dube-Frost-TBD
Lucic-Bennett-TBD

Giordnao-Andersson
Gostisbhere-Dumba
Valimaki-Mackey

Markstrom
Rittich

9th pick, 25th pick, 2 2nd rounders. York helps the D prospect cupboard, Strome and Frost are 23 and 21 year old centers, Markstrom solidifies the goaltending position, Hall replaces Johnny’s offense Gostisbhere/Dumba/Valimaki replace Hanifin/Brodie,Hamonic
Closed Thread