Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #501
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
This is a weird take.
i see his point. they come across as too good for the CFL, thus the pathetic crowds, but seem to think they deserve an NFL franchise.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #502
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, I don't see how that's a weird take when it's pretty much universally known that Toronto collectively thumbs it's nose up at the CFL as too minor league for their city.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:43 PM   #503
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
i see his point. they come across as too good for the CFL, thus the pathetic crowds, but seem to think they deserve an NFL franchise.
Toronto would sell out every NFL game. It’s not just Toronto with that attitude. It’s basically anyone under 40 who watches football. The CFL is a dying league and it pains me to say that. I’m the only person under 40 in my social circle and at my work with season tickets. Most wouldn’t even go to a game with me for free. The CFL is going to be in big trouble again in ten years if something doesn’t change. I Would bet the majority of their fan base is in the 50-70 age bracket.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 06:52 AM   #504
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto has had NFL games and the attendance was poor.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 06:54 AM   #505
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Toronto would sell out every NFL game. It’s not just Toronto with that attitude. It’s basically anyone under 40 who watches football. The CFL is a dying league and it pains me to say that. I’m the only person under 40 in my social circle and at my work with season tickets. Most wouldn’t even go to a game with me for free. The CFL is going to be in big trouble again in ten years if something doesn’t change. I Would bet the majority of their fan base is in the 50-70 age bracket.
I have been hearing this for 40 years now.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #506
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

No they wouldn't. Toronto was giving away tickets like crazy for the Bills series, especially in the first year at one point Rogers estimated that it gave away 10,000 tickets for a game. A bunch of fans also drove up from Buffalo which helped them fill seats.

Toronto fans are terrible if your not the Maple Leafs. The NFL after the Bills experiment is done with Toronto.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #507
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://sportsbusinesscanada.com/analyzing-cfl-fan-base/

Quote:
According to brand analytics firm IMI International, the number of millennials (18-34 year olds) identifying as CFL fans jumped 41 to 46 per cent as of January 2017, the largest jump among North American pro leagues. In addition, CFL TV ratings among 18-49 year olds increased 8 per cent in 2016 compared to the previous year, with a 7 per cent increase in viewership among women.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #508
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
No they wouldn't. Toronto was giving away tickets like crazy for the Bills series, especially in the first year at one point Rogers estimated that it gave away 10,000 tickets for a game. A bunch of fans also drove up from Buffalo which helped them fill seats.

Toronto fans are terrible if your not the Maple Leafs. The NFL after the Bills experiment is done with Toronto.
Raptors are a big ticket, pretty much have been since they brought Drake on board (smartest marketing decision ever btw).

MLS gets "hype" with younger crowds but the TV ratings for MLS are pathetic.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #509
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That’s ridiculous. Leafs, Raptors, TFC are all constant sellouts and top tier revenue teams. The Blue Jays would be as well if it wasn’t for Rogers owning them and even then they do well.

The NFL series in Toronto was a complete farce. They quadrupled the average NFL price as a cash grab which made no sense given the next week you could drive two hours down the road and see the Bills for next to no cost. Would be completely different if it was Toronto’s own team. No one wanted that series, not even the players.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:11 PM   #510
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I’m not sure about TV, but go to any stadium outside of Saskatchewan and Winnipeg and it’s a Matlock convention. Especially the Stamps games. I can’t give my tickets away when I can’t go.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 11-30-2018 at 01:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #511
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s ridiculous. Leafs, Raptors, TFC are all constant sellouts and top tier revenue teams. The Blue Jays would be as well if it wasn’t for Rogers owning them and even then they do well.

The NFL series in Toronto was a complete farce. They quadrupled the average NFL price as a cash grab which made no sense given the next week you could drive two hours down the road and see the Bills for next to no cost. Would be completely different if it was Toronto’s own team. No one wanted that series, not even the players.
TFC gets 22,000 fans, so not a great "sellout" and their ratings are well under 100k. No one cares about soccer.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #512
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not sure about TV, but go to any stadium outside of Saskatchewan and Winnipeg and it’s a Matlock convention. Especially the Stamps games. I can’t give my tickets away when I can’t go.
There's no Season Ticket owner under 60 in my section that I know of who isn't a second generation holder, and I just moved to Kelowna, so I'm not sure whether my dad will keep buying or not without me
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #513
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a shame Canadians thumb their nose at the CFL. It's great football.

In my perfect world, the CFL makes some rule changes to bring it closer to NFL rules and considers US expansion again. I think SLC would be a great expansion market with only pro soccer and basketball there. BYU vs Utah football games are a big deal there already.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #514
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
TFC gets 22,000 fans, so not a great "sellout" and their ratings are well under 100k. No one cares about soccer.
TFC averages 28k a game since the capacity increase at BMO.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #515
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

In my perfect world, the CFL makes some rule changes to bring it closer to NFL rules and considers US expansion again. I think SLC would be a great expansion market with only pro soccer and basketball there. BYU vs Utah football games are a big deal there already.
It’s a shame, but they do. I’m against rule changes but increasing the quality of the officiating (full time positions) and scrapping the ratio would go a long way in making it more of a legitimate league in those people’s eyes.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #516
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Toronto doesn't want a sad sack team in the Bills coming in for only one game a season. They want an actual NFL team of their own. Give them that, and as long as it doesn't function like the Browns, it'll do fine. It has worked for every other major league in the city.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #517
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I must admit, I LOL'd.

My buddy and I say that McMahon is full of q-tips. We're both over 50. Happily, my 20-year-old son is as avid a CFL fan as it gets.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #518
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I’m 27 and have always loved the CFL. I actually seemed to notice more young people at McMahon this season than in the past. It’s certainly a crowd that skews older, but it’s encouraging to hear that more young people are identifying as CFL fans.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #519
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Nick!

troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #520
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

No Yards infuriates me.

A team bust their ass to beat blockers and get down field to make a play and are penalized for their effort, it covers up poor blocking by the receiving team.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote