Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #461
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

That was soooo much fun!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #462
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Bo is 4-1 in the Western Final and 2-2 in the Grey Cup. That is pretty damn good.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #463
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

will be an interesting off season for the Stamps. Trust in Huf to make the right calls
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 02:08 AM   #464
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the last 28 seasons (since 1991), the Stamps have:

* Made the playoffs 25 times
* Finished first 14 times
* Made the Grey Cup 12 times
* Won the Grey Cup 6 times
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 AM   #465
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Esks fans were there for the 5050 and that’s it. It’s the lede for Terry Jones in his wrap up of the Grey Cup as the default and longest standing CFL reporter who is more a mascot these days at GC, simply there so he can ask his “sex” question to both head coaches and get some cheap laughs.
https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...rd-of-festival

The fact that red and white confetti is going to be blowing around Commonwealth all winter, as is the stench of beer, cigars and champagne is the so called hallowed Esks locker room has him salty and complaining.

As for their fans for this inconvenience of having the better Alberta team win it in their stadium, having to wait around until the end for the 5050 draw, it’s clear that it’s not an Oilers thing as the lottery giving people false hope, it’s an larger Edmonton thing.

Article despatched from deep down in the salt mine.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
JBR
Old 11-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #466
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So Bo is 4-1 in the Western Final and 2-2 in the Grey Cup. That is pretty damn good.
And that’s in only five years as a starter. Add to that two MOP awards... not quite Warren Moon, but still pretty incredible.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #467
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave Dickenson as a head coach:

41-11-2 regular season record

4-2 in the playoffs
3-0 in the West Final

3 for 3 with Grey Cup appearances, now 1-2 in the Grey Cup

Can't imagine how badly he wanted that win last night.

Good for him.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #468
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rewatching the highlights — the TD to Durant was eerily similar to the Brett Ralph TD 10 years ago against Montreal. QB rolling to his left, finding a Canadian receiver for a massive TD:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #469
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Huf started running the Stamps:

143-53-2 (Regular Season)
12-8 (Playoffs)
6-4 (West Final)
3-3 (Grey Cup)

6 Grey Cup appearances in 11 seasons.
7 out of 11 seasons 1st in the West and 1st Overall in the regular season (plus two more years where they were in a tie for 1st overall, so essentially 9 out of 11 seasons)

Impressive stuff.

The "Football Whisperer"
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #470
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Since Huf started running the Stamps:

143-53-2 (Regular Season)
12-8 (Playoffs)
6-4 (West Final)
3-3 (Grey Cup)

6 Grey Cup appearances in 11 seasons.
7 out of 11 seasons 1st in the West and 1st Overall in the regular season (plus two more years where they were in a tie for 1st overall, so essentially 9 out of 11 seasons)

Impressive stuff.

The "Football Whisperer"
Very lucky to have Huf come on board after the disaster of F-Troop.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #471
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a great day. Not much to say because it's all been covered in other posts. Both playoff games were more business like than pretty but you can make an argument that despite not blowing out the Bombers or Redblacks that neither game was really in doubt as every time things got a little too close for comfort they would make a big play to deflate the opposition. Very satisfying as a fan to see this team get it's due.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #472
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he does indeed retire, a huge thanks to Eric for coming back and helping the Stamps win another Grey Cup.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1066899931468689409
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #473
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall a decent game to watch. Not the most exciting and I would have expected more out of both offences to be honest, maybe both D's just came to play. The field conditions were not at all what I would have expected for a game on turf in good weather, not sure what was up with that but perhaps a combo of the high humidity and low (relatively) temperature made it more slippery than otherwise would be expected. If the paint for the logo's on the field makes that much of a difference then the league needs to seriously reconsider that.

My two biggest takeaways from the game:
1. very few penalties. Very nice to see and kept things moving
2. kick off to final buzzer was pretty much 3 hours. And that includes a half time show that is probably longer than usual for a CFL game. Lack of penalties would also have contributed to this. The NFL could learn a lesson from this and maybe get rid of the 4+ hour snorefests the Super Bowl is threatenign to become.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #474
fireguyfire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Will be a very interesting off season; I’m thinking we see a very different looking team next year.
In Huff we trust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fireguyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #475
fireguyfire
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Will be a very interesting off season; I’m thinking we see a very different looking team next year.
In Huff we trust!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fireguyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #476
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

A Grey Cup Rally has been planned, hope to see big numbers out there

Quote:
The rally will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 27 from noon to 1 p.m. at Municipal Plaza.

“We invite all of our fans to come join us as we celebrate the 2018 Grey Cup championship,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “The fans’ enthusiastic support of the Horse was an important part of our success this season. We accomplished this together and now is the time to celebrate together.”
https://www.stampeders.com/2018/11/26/grey-cup-rally/
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #477
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

They usually aren't big. I never understand why they do these mid week and not just wait til the following Saturday.

I get the theory - Interest will die out for the casual fan a week out, but I don't think that's really true. They instead bank on the business crowd coming out for their lunch break. Which gets you a few hundred boring corporate types standing around in suits in their midweek work mindset, while shutting out all the blue collar and young fans that would make the celebration fun.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #478
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
They usually aren't big. I never understand why they do these mid week and not just wait til the following Saturday.

I get the theory - Interest will die out for the casual fan a week out, but I don't think that's really true. They instead bank on the business crowd coming out for their lunch break. Which gets you a few hundred boring corporate types standing around in suits in their midweek work mindset, while shutting out all the blue collar and young fans that would make the celebration fun.
Not if they make it a Grey Cup AND anti-Truedeau rally!

#NoDaysOff
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #479
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

A lot of the players want to go home at the end of the season and start their break. Some of these guys come up and leave family behind.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #480
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Overall a decent game to watch. Not the most exciting and I would have expected more out of both offences to be honest, maybe both D's just came to play. The field conditions were not at all what I would have expected for a game on turf in good weather, not sure what was up with that but perhaps a combo of the high humidity and low (relatively) temperature made it more slippery than otherwise would be expected. If the paint for the logo's on the field makes that much of a difference then the league needs to seriously reconsider that.

My two biggest takeaways from the game:
1. very few penalties. Very nice to see and kept things moving
2. kick off to final buzzer was pretty much 3 hours. And that includes a half time show that is probably longer than usual for a CFL game. Lack of penalties would also have contributed to this. The NFL could learn a lesson from this and maybe get rid of the 4+ hour snorefests the Super Bowl is threatenign to become.
Not sure how much of this was discussed on tv but I got the impression the field was too hard/slick from being left uncovered for several weeks leading up to the game. I don’t know if field turf can freeze but normally you see the little black pellets flying up and this did not happen at all. Didn’t seem like the painted logos made a difference although it probably didn’t help.

I think it did significantly impact playcalling strategy (more than I realized at the time) and the Stamps were smart to go with a short passing game because Ottawa’s DBs weren’t really able to break on the ball. Even Bo looked a bit tentative on his drops — I wonder if the bad footing affected him on a few of his errant throws early on.