Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2023, 01:18 PM   #6221
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm always surprised that Superman is so popular. Every Superman movie since the 80s has sucked.

He's too over-powered...theres no gravity.

Thats one thing I felt Marvel nailed...not over-powering their heroes so that there is still some peril.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 01:41 PM   #6222
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Xmen was Marvels highest selling comic from 1982-1998. I'd bet nearly everyone reading this has played the Xmen stand up arcade machine. Xmen are easy S-Tier.

https://trendingpopculture.com/best-...0-years-later/

I think Superman goes on the S Tier pretty easy too, and that would be it.
You're looking at it from a comic fan perspective, where X-Men were huge, outside of the comic book world into general pop culture they were simply "pretty big". Easy A-tier I would say, the movies did well enough (but no enormous hits like Batman / Spider-Man).

Superman as far as a known pop-culture element is S-tier but the wider media has never seemed to really resonate with people much.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 02:09 PM   #6223
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I for one am waiting for Captain Canuck to take off so all these signed #1, 2, 3, 4, etc comics I have explode in value and I can retire in New Zealand.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:28 PM   #6224
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
You're looking at it from a comic fan perspective, where X-Men were huge, outside of the comic book world into general pop culture they were simply "pretty big". Easy A-tier I would say, the movies did well enough (but no enormous hits like Batman / Spider-Man).

Superman as far as a known pop-culture element is S-tier but the wider media has never seemed to really resonate with people much.

I'd put Xmen at the bottom of the S-Tier, mostly because they've never been individually iconic like the other 3, but they are clearly way above the A-Tier. Xmen tv shows and video games have been pumped out non-stop my whole life (they've put out some bangers too). The current era of comic book movies really starts with the first Xmen movie. If they are on the A-Tier than no one else is.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 02:52 PM   #6225
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, sorry, I was talking pre MCU. Like most people only knew Thor from adventures in babysitting (well and norse myth but you know)
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #6226
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Go back to your comic book movie thread, nerds.

Kidding <3
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2023, 07:08 PM   #6227
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Yeah, sorry, I was talking pre MCU. Like most people only knew Thor from adventures in babysitting (well and norse myth but you know)
Um, have you revisited that reference lately? It has not aged well... *pulls collar*

Yikes. I forgot how casual homophobia was back then.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #6228
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Apparently I’m sticking with a culinary theme as I also watched the Nicolas Cage film Pig. That might be the most depressing film he’s done since Leaving Las Vegas. Went in cold knowing nothing but what was in the trailer and it was better for that. Really well acted and doesn’t really go where you think it will.

His career now is these quasi art films like Joe and Pig or ridiculous cash grab stuff like Intolerable Weight and Renfield. It seems he contains multitudes.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #6229
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Guardians 3 was really damn enjoyable, loved it. These are by far my favorite super hero movies, the rest are fine and I usually watch out of pure curiosity but I genuinely enjoy the 3 Guardians movies.

Huge respect for James Gunn to going full on with Rocket's origin story, puts a well known character's face and name to what happens daily to countless animals around the world in laboratories. Sure, it's just a movie but bringing such attention can influence people to make small changes in their life to help ease the suffering of animals.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2023, 10:09 AM   #6230
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^spoiler alert^^^
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:17 PM   #6231
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
^^^spoiler alert^^^
It is? It was shown in the trailer that we'd be seeing some of that backstory. I haven't seen the movie yet but I know it's in there. It's why I'm holding off on watching it
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:25 PM   #6232
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
It is? It was shown in the trailer that we'd be seeing some of that backstory. I haven't seen the movie yet but I know it's in there. It's why I'm holding off on watching it
Well it just seemed like it(haven't seen it yet), I didn't watch the trailer because they spoil so much of a movie I'll see anyway, but if it was in the trailer I guess it is fair game.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:18 PM   #6233
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Apparently I’m sticking with a culinary theme as I also watched the Nicolas Cage film Pig. That might be the most depressing film he’s done since Leaving Las Vegas. Went in cold knowing nothing but what was in the trailer and it was better for that. Really well acted and doesn’t really go where you think it will.

His career now is these quasi art films like Joe and Pig or ridiculous cash grab stuff like Intolerable Weight and Renfield. It seems he contains multitudes.
What I like about him is that he's pretty honest about doing those B and C grade films for money out of necessity as he lost a lot of money on bad real-estate.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:56 PM   #6234
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What I like about him is that he's pretty honest about doing those B and C grade films for money out of necessity as he lost a lot of money on bad real-estate.
Thats not all...I think he did 'Pig' strictly to pay his bill to the IRS.

He's bought some weird crap and did some dodgy nonsense with his taxes.

Yeah, Nic Cage is in it and he's in it deep.

The man is legit crazy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-10-2023, 01:58 PM   #6235
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although..."The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent" was AWESOME.

That was a ride. Surreal.

Old 05-10-2023, 02:24 PM   #6236
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I watched Evil Dead Rise -- I thought it was pretty good. The first half was stronger than the latter half for me, but overall had a good time. 7.1/10
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:34 PM   #6237
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone remember the 1998 movie The Siege?

I watched it as a teenager and barely remembered anything about it. Stars prime Denzel in pure get-your-hands-off-me mode, Bruce Willis playing against type, and Annette Benning (who doesn't have a lot to do, unfortunately).

It's on Disney+ and I watched it with the intention of laughing at it as it's a pre-9/11 movie about terrorism on American soil.

I thought the general tone of the film would be: "HOORAH! 'MURICA!" x 100 minutes.

It is not. It's quite a thoughtful cautionary-tale of what could go horribly wrong if something like that were to happen (which of course it did) and how we would react to it.

It's still a problematic film in terms of how certain cultures are portrayed but for its age, it's still a surprisingly perceptive story IMO.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2023, 06:17 PM   #6238
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ha, I remember going to see that movie with my dad. He really wanted to see it; I was ambivalent. Neither of us liked it. At the time I thought the plot was all over the place.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2023, 08:00 PM   #6239
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Go back to your comic book movie thread, nerds.

Kidding <3
Not kidding.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2023, 06:08 AM   #6240
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Guardians 3 was really damn enjoyable, loved it. These are by far my favorite super hero movies, the rest are fine and I usually watch out of pure curiosity but I genuinely enjoy the 3 Guardians movies.

Huge respect for James Gunn to going full on with Rocket's origin story, puts a well known character's face and name to what happens daily to countless animals around the world in laboratories. Sure, it's just a movie but bringing such attention can influence people to make small changes in their life to help ease the suffering of animals.
I'm the same. Actually I can't stand superhero movies anymore except for Guardians. I was pretty confused at the beginning of 3 because I didn't realize how important plot points happen in these other Marvel movies. So after watching Guardians 3 I watched the last 2 Avengers just to understand what had happened. Hated them!
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote