Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2022, 10:10 AM   #4261
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well it's not very funny either. It gained a following from teens because it had Bill Murray doing Looney Tunes with a gopher and some random nudity, there's nothing about it that makes it a good movie though
It has certainly stood the test of time. People routinely still quote it today, on the golf course and off. I appreciate that you didn't find it funny and thought the plot was lacking but IMO a number of memorable and funny scenes in that movie. Aside from referencing the plot, you're the first person I have heard say it was only popular with teens. It's funny you remember the gopher and nudity. Of course everyone remembers the gopher but that was not the source of humor and I don't remember much nudity compared to a raunchy comedy. In this case you didn't like a movie and maybe just not recognizing what people enjoyed about it.

Not unusual to see references to Caddyshack in this forum regularly, but perhaps not everyone recognizes them as such.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #4262
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Jesus...please don't apply modern standards of social acceptance to older films. You'll never be able to enjoy anything ever that way.
That's a pretty big stretch.

Plenty of older films are perfectly fine even with a more woke lense.

EDIT: Eighties comedies are actually kind of the worst there is, much more cringy than most films from older era's.

Although it depends a bit on the topic. Sexism was IMO kind of the worst in the eighties, while racism is much worse in a lot of pre-sixties movies.

Last edited by Itse; 01-29-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:56 PM   #4263
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by djsFlames; 01-29-2022 at 02:59 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #4264
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

EDIT: Eighties comedies are actually kind of the worst there is, much more cringy than most films from older era's.

Although it depends a bit on the topic. Sexism was IMO kind of the worst in the eighties, while racism is much worse in a lot of pre-sixties movies.
What does some films being fine have to do with anything though? We’re talking about the movies that aren’t and applying the lens to those movies and letting the lens ruin them.

Movies released right now today will likely be considered offensive sometime in the future. So who gets to decide which movies are ok and which should be banished? I’d rather trust the audience to know which things are ok and which aren’t anymore but still be able to enjoy the movie for what it is.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:24 PM   #4265
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

None of that matters. It's art that needs to be understood in the context of its era. Would anyone be blown away by someone painting soup cans or marilyn monroe in neon with a modern context? No. of course not.

Art is contextual. I don't evaluate Renaissance art with the same lens that I view modern art.

Besides, if anyone really did apply modern values to artists, both Gaugin and Picasso would be instantly cancelled. Does that serve anyone?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:47 PM   #4266
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slap Shot is infested with homophobia. It still is and always be my favorite movie.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 01-29-2022 at 11:24 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:56 PM   #4267
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Recommend (or don't) a movie thread v2

Calling every movie “art” though is a bit generous.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 05:16 AM   #4268
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched House of Gucci. I thought it was actually a pretty good film, especially during the 2nd half. Great performances by most characters. Pacino was excellent. Still not sure what to think about Leto, but he had some nice humorous moments. The forced Italian accents really threw me off at some points (especially for my wife who has ESL) but I guess it allowed for a wider audience to view the film and give at an 'authentic' feel, rather than using entirely Italian actors.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-30-2022 at 05:19 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:59 AM   #4269
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to say Halloween Kills is one of the worst movies I have seen in a very long time. Sorry but a handful of gory deaths don't make up for F movie writing and dialogue. How the hell does a script like that get greenlighted by experienced movie executives? As a big fan of the original it pains me to see the depths of lowliness they have taken this franchise.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #4270
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I just want to say Halloween Kills is one of the worst movies I have seen in a very long time. Sorry but a handful of gory deaths don't make up for F movie writing and dialogue. How the hell does a script like that get greenlighted by experienced movie executives? As a big fan of the original it pains me to see the depths of lowliness they have taken this franchise.
You didn't watch it as a comedy?

Bad way to go, man.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:11 PM   #4271
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Watched House of Gucci. I thought it was actually a pretty good film, especially during the 2nd half. Great performances by most characters. Pacino was excellent. Still not sure what to think about Leto, but he had some nice humorous moments. The forced Italian accents really threw me off at some points (especially for my wife who has ESL) but I guess it allowed for a wider audience to view the film and give at an 'authentic' feel, rather than using entirely Italian actors.
We need to go easier on actors when they do accents.

The alternative is Catherine the Great on HBO, a story about a German-born Russian empress in which everyone is British.

Accents add texture a performance.

Imagine a Sopranos where nobody is doing an Italian accent. It would suck.

Imagine if Idris Elba just spoke in his natural British speaking voice as Stringer Bell.

Inspector Clouseau is funny because Peter Sellers is doing a ridiculous accent (among many other things). It doesn’t matter that nobody in France talks like that - Clouseau does, and it feels real.

Lady Gaga’s accent works in the context of the movie - her character is a vapid, vicious gold digger- she should sound like that in any accent.

Adam Driver’s accent works - it doesn’t need to be dialectically accurate. It fits the character.

At the end of the day, they’re pretending. Your brain gets what they’re doing - go with it.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 01-30-2022 at 02:15 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 02:38 PM   #4272
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I disagree. These people are highly paid trained actors. Either skip accents altogether or hire a ####ing speech coach and teach them how to do it properly.

That guy on YouTube routinely shreds actors who half ass their accents and embarrass themselves. He always blames the production for not hiring a proper coach to train them. Although some actors just aren’t very good at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 02:53 PM   #4273
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I disagree. These people are highly paid trained actors. Either skip accents altogether or hire a ####ing speech coach and teach them how to do it properly.

That guy on YouTube routinely shreds actors who half ass their accents and embarrass themselves. He always blames the production for not hiring a proper coach to train them. Although some actors just aren’t very good at it.
There’s only so many hours in a day, and I’m sure these accents are the result of as much training and preparing as the actors have time to do.

I’d always Rather see an actor attempt something, even if it goes badly. And if I can believe that voice belongs to that character, the performer has done their job.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:55 PM   #4274
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A movie is only as good as the accuracy of its accents to their country of origin.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 04:23 PM   #4275
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Lol wut? That’s just dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 08:41 PM   #4276
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched The Tender Bar with Ben Affleck. A really enjoyable time piece thats well written and acted. Highly recommend.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 12:40 AM   #4277
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What does some films being fine have to do with anything though? We’re talking about the movies that aren’t and applying the lens to those movies and letting the lens ruin them.

Movies released right now today will likely be considered offensive sometime in the future. So who gets to decide which movies are ok and which should be banished? I’d rather trust the audience to know which things are ok and which aren’t anymore but still be able to enjoy the movie for what it is.
The problem with your logic is that many of the films that look like garbage now were already garbage then, and people already said it back then.

People protested against the depiction of slavery in Gone With the Wind back when the movie was new. People criticized the raunchy eighties comedies for being misogynist when they were new, and those movies aren't suddenly less misogynistic because time has passed. I thought a lot of those comedies were unpleasant when they were new, even when I was fairly young. LGBTQ have been protesting the way LGBTQ people were depicted in movies for decades.

Yes, offensive movies are still being released, just like offensive movies are always
released, but for the most part they don't become offensive over time, they are already offensive at the time of release and people just ignore it. People just tend to see the problems more clearly in older films, because the tropes aren't the ones we're used to ignoring today.

Also, just f off with "who gets to decide which movies are banished". No movies ever get banished from the public eye because it's offensive to "the modern lens", it's not a real thing. There's even a part of the audience that specifically wants to see all the films that get labeled as offensive.

Last edited by Itse; 01-31-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:07 AM   #4278
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
A movie is only as good as the accuracy of its accents to their country of origin.
That's next level pretentious.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #4279
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Come here looking for movie recommendations, leave not knowing if I should enjoy movies unless they have perfect accents and aren't offensive... classic CP.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2022, 11:51 AM   #4280
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the theatrical cut of Star Wars this weekend - finally reclaimed them on DVD. It is great.

This is a fun game to play when you watch it - try to imagine you’re seeing it for the first time on May 25, 1977. You have no previous cultural history with it. You have no idea what you’re in for. You may not have even wanted to go - you might have wanted to see Smoky and the Bandit, which also opened that weekend.

When you’re done, you probably won’t leave thinking “I wish this movie from 1977 was more filled with disparate visual effects from four different decades”, or “I wish R2 was hiding behind rocks after the Sand people attack” or “man this X-wing battle is boring”.

You certainly won’t leave thinking “I wish Han shot first”.

It’s wonderful when 85% of a movie looks like it was shot between 1975-76, and then has a bunch of lightsaber effects that look like they were done in Adobe After Effects.