Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2022, 08:34 PM   #4241
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tim Curry is just awesome in that movie.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2022, 08:37 PM   #4242
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I just thought that was an ingenious way to market a movie in an era when people ONLY went to the theatre to see a movie. Guaranteed to have some repeat viewers.
Yeah, that was definitely the intention but I believe it was a big flop in the box office and only became a cult classic after.

It's really great though.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #4243
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
As someone that didn't grow up watching most of the 80s comedies that are generally considered classics, they are painful to watch now for the most part.

I recently watched through the National Lampoon Vacation movies and found maybe a couple scenes kinda humorous. Just bland overall.

Police Academy is flat out terrible. Michael Winslow's sound effects are the only redeemable part of the entire movie. It's just embarrassing to see all the gay and racist jokes that were apparently considered hilarious back then.

I'm amazed that people found Rodney Dangerfield funny, I don't get his appeal at all.

John Hughes movies might be the only ones that hold up reasonably well IMO. Big, This is Spinal Tap, and Clue are also great.
Maybe I need to go back and re-watch some 80s movies, but it sounds like someone sold you a bill of goods on which ones are classic.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Trading Places, Naked Gun, The Golden Child, Three Amigos, Fish Called Wanda, Stripes all come to mind before the ones that you watched.

The 80s had just a tonne of comedy adjacent movies, too. Sort of funny, but really just a straight forward movie with humor, like Midnight Run or Beverly Hills Cop.

Trying to explain the Triple Lindy to someone is probably funnier than actually watching a movie about it.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #4244
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Maybe I need to go back and re-watch some 80s movies, but it sounds like someone sold you a bill of goods on which ones are classic.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Trading Places, Naked Gun, The Golden Child, Three Amigos, Fish Called Wanda, Stripes all come to mind before the ones that you watched.

The 80s had just a tonne of comedy adjacent movies, too. Sort of funny, but really just a straight forward movie with humor, like Midnight Run or Beverly Hills Cop.

Trying to explain the Triple Lindy to someone is probably funnier than actually watching a movie about it.
I'll just note that after a recent rewatch, Stripes has NOT aged well at all, and was a bit painful to get through. The mud wrestling scene and the two female MPs that immediately jump into bed with the main guys is very cringy to watch now
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #4245
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the Police Academy movies were never on anyone’s list of classics. The Vacation movies do have some funny scenes and deserve to be fondly remembered IMO.

As for Rodney Dangerfield, if Caddyshack isn’t on your list of comedy classics you’re missing a funny bone or just hate golf. Back to School was funny because of the Triple Lindy really.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #4246
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Pretty In Pink is pretty sexist and racist. Revenge of the Nerds straight up has one of the main characters present to be a woman’s boyfriend and has sex with her. That’s rape. Gay panic is a source of so many jokes back then. I think you can still like these movies but I can see why younger audiences who didn’t grow up with them would have problems.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #4247
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think kind of media that's consumed while growing up has a huge effect on peoples attitudes and perceptions of social/cultural norms and young kids so often emulate the behaviors of people they see in these shows and movies because those characters and celebrities are who they idolize.

Its no coincidence that as tolerance has gone up in media since the millennium, kids attitudes towards these issues have followed suit.

We act how we perceive is acceptable according to the sum of what we've consumed & observed from others, now typically through media.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:35 PM   #4248
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Pretty In Pink is pretty sexist and racist. Revenge of the Nerds straight up has one of the main characters present to be a woman’s boyfriend and has sex with her. That’s rape. Gay panic is a source of so many jokes back then. I think you can still like these movies but I can see why younger audiences who didn’t grow up with them would have problems.
Yes, these definately don't age well, but watch any tween targeted romance and how many of them contain behavior which is completely unacceptable to downright illegal and still the masses love these shows. Chase the girl, never give up, stalk her, don't take no for an answer cause she'll realize she loves you if you're relentless. I think movies get a bit of a pass when it comes to this but it's not right.

Heck Home Alone is beloved and it basically teaches kids multiple methods to commit murder.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:58 PM   #4249
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'll just note that after a recent rewatch, Stripes has NOT aged well at all, and was a bit painful to get through. The mud wrestling scene and the two female MPs that immediately jump into bed with the main guys is very cringy to watch now
As if you wouldn't jump into bed with a young Bill Murray.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #4250
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus...please don't apply modern standards of social acceptance to older films. You'll never be able to enjoy anything ever that way.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #4251
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah the Police Academy movies were never on anyone’s list of classics. The Vacation movies do have some funny scenes and deserve to be fondly remembered IMO.

As for Rodney Dangerfield, if Caddyshack isn’t on your list of comedy classics you’re missing a funny bone or just hate golf. Back to School was funny because of the Triple Lindy really.
Caddyshack is terrible, there's no plot, it's just a random sequence of disconnected scenes
Old 01-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #4252
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Thanks, I'll definitely add those to my list.

As for Caddyshack, while I do hate golf I'm not convinced that's a reason I didn't find it funny. It falls under the "zany" category of 80s comedies as far as I'm concerned, without any worthwhile jokes. I liked Happy Gilmore for the record!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #4253
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Caddyshack is terrible, there's no plot, it's just a random sequence of disconnected scenes
Of the millions of people of that have enjoyed Caddyshack, not one has ever said it was because of the plot.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #4254
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

My top 80s comedies. Certainly not exhaustive but covers most of my favourites.

Trading Places
This is Spinal Tap
Ferris Buller
Airplane!
The Blues Brothets
Major League
Arthur
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 08:58 PM   #4255
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 80's were a terrible time for mainstream Hollywood films but there were great 'foreign' movies, Australia was in its heyday in the 80's with the Mad Max franchise and made great movies.

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:45 AM   #4256
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Of the millions of people of that have enjoyed Caddyshack, not one has ever said it was because of the plot.
Well it's not very funny either. It gained a following from teens because it had Bill Murray doing Looney Tunes with a gopher and some random nudity, there's nothing about it that makes it a good movie though
Old 01-29-2022, 02:31 AM   #4257
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
^####, I love Clue.

True story, a friend of mine was of the age to see it in the theatre. You know how they show alternate endings in the DVD....or whatever people are watching it on now? Well I guess as a marketing ploy, they originally were showing it with only one of the endings randomly at every theatre. Basically, you never knew what ending you were going to get, and if you decided to pay to see it again, you might get a drastically different ending.

I just thought that was an ingenious way to market a movie in an era when people ONLY went to the theatre to see a movie. Guaranteed to have some repeat viewers.

Clue is one of my favorite 80s comedies. Great cast, very funny, and endlessly quotable. Tim Curry and Madeline Kahn steal the show.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2022, 04:14 AM   #4258
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Fla...flames...flames...on the side of my face."

Kills me every time.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #4259
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Fake Famous is one of the most frightening and depressing horror movies I’ve ever seen.

Except it’s a documentary about social media and influencers. It’s horrifying.
Watched this last night. Agreed horrifying.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:33 AM   #4260
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched a decent horror movie shot in mostly Edmonton and a little in Calgary called Come True. It's about a homeless girl who has insomnia that agrees to join a sleep study. It's definitely a slow burn horror but it is effective, and has a haunting score.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote