Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2020, 12:36 PM   #81
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that it might have been man made, then infected into pangolins, then infected back into humans to cover Bill Gates tracks?
No.

No I can’t. Because I use basic logic.

If you’re going to keep ANY secret you need to keep it between less than 3 people or it becomes widely known with concrete verifiable evidence.

In this case the verifiable evidence of this scenario is overwhelmingly against it.

Additionally if you think 2 or at most 3 people can execute a diabolical plot of this scale, well then, I have some ocean front property in Saskatchewan I would love to sell you.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #82
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Nice to see the conspiracy nuts going back to the absence of evidence being evidence itself. “There’s no evidence it came from a lab but that’s not saying it didn’t come from a lab”. Cool I’m in. Did you guys also know that airplane fuel can’t melt steel beams?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #83
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have started getting chem trail conspiracy stories to add to the Chinese lab plus 5 G cell towers are responsible on my facebook feed!! just waiting for the flat earth plus Killary Clinton explanation
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #84
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Pentagon comments on rumours

Stating the obvious at this point I suppose.

Quote:
“There’s a lot of rumor and speculation in a wide variety of media, blog sites, etc.,” Milley said.

"It should be no surprise to you that we have taken a keen interest in that, and we have had a lot of intelligence take a hard look at that. At this point it’s inconclusive, although the weight of evidence seems to indicate natural, but we do not know for sure,” Milley said.

Nothing much else of note. From Defenseone.com
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #85
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You can't spell CONSPIRACY without CP! Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #86
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
No.

No I can’t. Because I use basic logic.

If you’re going to keep ANY secret you need to keep it between less than 3 people or it becomes widely known with concrete verifiable evidence.

In this case the verifiable evidence of this scenario is overwhelmingly against it.

Additionally if you think 2 or at most 3 people can execute a diabolical plot of this scale, well then, I have some ocean front property in Saskatchewan I would love to sell you.
I was being sarcastic.
I thought the Bill Gates bit would omit the need for green text but I guess we've gone far enough down the rabbit hole that even that isn't clearly a joke anymore.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 05:05 PM   #87
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I have started getting chem trail conspiracy stories to add to the Chinese lab plus 5 G cell towers are responsible on my facebook feed!! just waiting for the flat earth plus Killary Clinton explanation
All that plus Deep Underground Military Bases (DUMBs) located below Calgary and connected to other bases around the world by underground tunnels 800 miles deep. At least according to one person on my feed. But don't worry, Trump is going to save us all.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #88
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
All that plus Deep Underground Military Bases (DUMBs) located below Calgary and connected to other bases around the world by underground tunnels 800 miles deep. At least according to one person on my feed. But don't worry, Trump is going to save us all.
Wait, so you're telling me the 8th avenue subway was never built because the military took over the spaces and made them bunkers/bases?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:03 PM   #89
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no way that DUMB's were not completely fabricated to troll these conspiracy believing rubes. Not a chance.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #90
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cor...ete-us-sources

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: COVID-19 originated in a Wuhan laboratory not as a bioweapon, but as part of China's effort to demonstrate that its efforts to identify and combat viruses are equal to or greater than the capabilities of the United States, multiple sources who have been briefed on the details of early actions by China's government and seen relevant materials tell Fox News.
Quote:
Documents detail early efforts by doctors at the lab and early efforts at containment. The Wuhan wet market initially identified as a possible point of origin never sold bats, and the sources tell Fox News that blaming the wet market was an effort by China to deflect blame from the laboratory, along with the country's propaganda efforts targeting the U.S. and Italy.
Dismiss because it's Fox, or you don't trust the US government, or whatever you want. Definitely not trending well for the people who declared with absolute certainty this came from the wet market and anyone who didn't share that certainty was a kooky conspiracy theorist.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #91
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cor...ete-us-sources

Dismiss because it's Fox, or you don't trust the US government, or whatever you want. Definitely not trending well for the people who declared with absolute certainty this came from the wet market and anyone who didn't share that certainty was a kooky conspiracy theorist.
WaPo reported on this awhile ago with a very reputable reporter running the story. I tend to think that more people are still leaning towards a natural origin, but if this comes out as either Chinese carelessness or an actual plot, it would destroy China's reputation. For that reason alone, I'm pretty skeptical they actually went ahead and did it. Stakes are too high to blow it, but at the very least there were serious concerns regarding safety going back as far as 2015.

WaPo column is paywalled so here is Forbes reporting on the story.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapo.../#1f05462a1ee1

Quote:
The U.S. government helped build and fund Wuhan virology labs. The thinking was that it was important for China to get up to par in the global life sciences. It was already a known center of previous outbreaks. Investing there and educating them on international safety standards was just preventative medicine.

Rogin’s reporting suggests that government officials were well aware of the research being conducted in the lab on bat coronaviruses and were worried that the lab still had sub-par safety standards.

Last edited by peter12; 04-15-2020 at 06:17 PM.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #92
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's certainly a possibility. After reading that article thoguh, it crossed my mind that there is also a strong possibility this is BS spouted by the US government in an attempt to pin more blame on China to cover up for their poor response. Pretty standard misinformation tactic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #93
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's certainly a possibility. After reading that article thoguh, it crossed my mind that there is also a strong possibility this is BS spouted by the US government in an attempt to pin more blame on China to cover up for their poor response. Pretty standard misinformation tactic.
We have a convert!

It's also a possibility this is US government misinformation too. But when it comes down to it I'll trust the US, no matter who the President is, over the communist one party dictatorial genocidal garbage heap of a government that is China.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 04-15-2020 at 06:28 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #94
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We have a convert!

It's also a possibility this is US government misinformation too. But when it comes down to it I'll trust the US, no matter who the President is, over the communist one party dictatorial genocidal garbage of heap of a government that is China.
Really? I wouldn't trust either of them right now
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #95
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We have a convert!

It's also a possibility this is US government misinformation too. But when it comes down to it I'll trust the US, no matter who the President is, over the communist one party dictatorial genocidal garbage heap of a government that is China.
why_not_neither?.gif
Old 04-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #96
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Really? I wouldn't trust either of them right now
One is clearly worse than the other. It's not the Chinese people's fault that a one party dictatorship took over 70 years ago and they're stuck with them, it's ok to admit that their government is a tyrannical lying #### heap.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #97
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One is clearly worse than the other. It's not the Chinese people's fault that a one party dictatorship took over 70 years ago and they're stuck with them, it's ok to admit that their government is a tyrannical lying #### heap.
as far as I can see one Government is a tyrannical lying #### heap and the other Government is trying to attain tyrannical lying #### heap status but the both lie like a bad wig, the only difference between Trump and Xi is Trump is a moron and Xi isnt
Old 04-15-2020, 06:43 PM   #98
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Look harder then, don't know what to tell you.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #99
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

look harder at what, the fact that one country has a constitution that its Government is attempting to ignore and the other country doesn't have one? the current US government is doing its best to copy China, its public statements are no more trustworthy at this point
Old 04-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #100
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
look harder at what, the fact that one country has a constitution that its Government is attempting to ignore and the other country doesn't have one? the current US government is doing its best to copy China, its public statements are no more trustworthy at this point
Actually, the both have constitutions, and they're increasingly carrying about the same amount of weight.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote