Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 03:06 AM   #3841
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

WARNING: don't get your hopes up!
Old 10-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #3842
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The trolling of Nadal is getting pretty old. I find his optimism to be a refreshing change in this thread.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #3843
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Optimism has no place on the internet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #3844
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The trolling of Nadal is getting pretty old. I find his optimism to be a refreshing change in this thread.
Optimism is great, I've come to admire their point of view.

But you put Batman and Robin above basically anything....that's a paddlin'.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:53 AM   #3845
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Optimism is forward looking, it's not continually claiming objectively terrible movies are great well after they've been released. I'm still not convinced it's not just a schtick.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #3846
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Optimism is forward looking, it's not continually claiming objectively terrible movies are great well after they've been released. I'm still not convinced it's not just a schtick.
Change optimism to positivity.

Unlike some on the FOI forum, Nadal remains positive on his movies without picking a fight with anyone who disagrees. I like it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #3847
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Guy complains about trolling while rating Green Lantern 11/10 and calling John Cena his favourite actor.

This thread is consistently insane. I love it.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 10:58 AM   #3848
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like what I like, and hope my opinion on certain films causes you to re-examine a film you don't like and see something positive in it the next time you watch it.

And I can't imagine not being excited for a Batman film from Matt Reeves which is a detective story taking inspiration from movies like Seven.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #3849
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I see no reason not to get excited about this upcoming Batman film. It has pretty great word of mouth so far. It's expected to be very dark, which may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I, quite frankly, want a break from the typical super hero movie we are getting right now.

DC has also proven they can create a good movie, as the Joker was not just a good superhero movie, but a good movie generally. It's blown away all other comic book movies, both in terms of accolades and profitability relative to its budget. The preivous high point for accolades was the "Dark Knight". Also a DC Batman movie.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:34 AM   #3850
slots881
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I just watched the new DC-Injustice animated movie. Pretty disappointed on how it turned out compared to the comics. They left out so much of what made the storyline intriguing and basically just pushed along the narrative without any real character development.
Sad
slots881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #3851
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
DC has also proven they can create a good movie, as the Joker was not just a good superhero movie, but a good movie generally. It's blown away all other comic book movies, both in terms of accolades and profitability relative to its budget. The preivous high point for accolades was the "Dark Knight". Also a DC Batman movie.
Honestly though Joker wasn't really a super hero movie outside of using the Joker character as a bit of a marketing device.

If you replace the Joker character Joquain Phoenix is playing with pretty much any other character it would still work.

If it was called "Clown" and the guy was just a crazy person that dressed up as a Clown, I'm not sure it's any different of movie.

In some ways I think that the best move for DC though would be not to try to replicate the MCU...you're not going to fair well in those comparisons. DC IMO should focus more on building interesting "One Offs" or "Trilogies". It almost fits their brand better, and really unlike Marvel who was trying to build something with smaller characters that weren't as well known, you don't really have to do that with DC.

Focus on Batman, Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman at first and tell the classic stories that people like about those characters but just in a visual format. Once you have a bit of a format that works then try to move to Green Lantern, Aquaman, Flash. And honestly I wouldn't try to have all the big crossover events, DC works better as separate stories I think.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-15-2021 at 11:47 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #3852
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly though Joker wasn't really a super hero movie outside of using the Joker character as a bit of a marketing device.

If you replace the Joker character Joquain Phoenix is playing with pretty much any other character it would still work.

If it was called "Clown" and the guy was just a crazy person that dressed up as a Clown, I'm not sure it's any different of movie.

In some ways I think that the best move for DC though would be not to try to replicate the MCU...you're not going to fair well in those comparisons. DC IMO should focus more on building interesting "One Offs" or "Trilogies". It almost fits their brand better, and really unlike Marvel who was trying to build something with smaller characters that weren't as well known, you don't really have to do that with DC.

Focus on Batman, Joker, Superman, Wonder Woman at first and tell the classic stories that people like about those characters but just in a visual format. Once you have a bit of a format that works then try to move to Green Lantern, Aquaman, Flash. And honestly I wouldn't try to have all the big crossover events, DC works better as separate stories I think.
I quite liked the Snyder cut of Justice League. Obviously, Snyder basically got a second chance to fix problems in his movie. What was going wrong with DCEU movies was clearly WB meddling. They seem to have gotten the message.

Flash should be a real make or brake moment for the franchise. If they put together a great movie, it'll breath a lot of energy into the franchise. Otherwise, what's there isn't very interesting. I liked Aquaman, but it's not nearly enough to support a franchise of that size.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #3853
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don’t see what other people saw in Aquaman.

I did not like that movie, honestly might have been the worst of all the DC movies for me.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #3854
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched about 40 minutes of Shazam and thought it was embarrassingly bad and it’s supposed to be one of the good ones. I got to the point where the cartoonishly evil bad guy killed his dad and brother and a boardroom of random people with questionable CGI gargoyles and I bailed out.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #3855
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

#### this thread has been around so long that Nadal went from Villain to Hero.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #3856
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Classic babyface turn.
KPJ
Old 10-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #3857
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
objectively terrible is pretty much spot on.

It may be gauche to enjoy the MCU movies, but I'm left handed and they generally make good movies, so I'm enjoying the grand narrative even when an episode like Black Widow falls a flat (probably has something to do with them releasing it 5 years too late, and burning yet another good villain on a nothing burger).

While predictably cheerleading for a franchise that over and over again has dropped turds all over us, just to have an original hot take is a little transparent. I know we haven't seen them yet, but let me give you Nadals ratings of the upcoming DC movies

The Batman - 10/10
Black Adam - 11/10
The Flash - 9/10
Aquaman 2 - 9.5/10
Shazam 2 - 8/10
Bat Girl - 8/10
Wonder Woman 3 - 10/10

We're 3 years out, we already know what Nadal thinks of the movies that don't exist and it's the greatest franchise ever.

All of that said, I kind of enjoy reading Nadals takes on the movies, I just don't lend them any credence at all when updating my priors on what to expect.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:24 AM   #3858
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Classic babyface turn.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #3859
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
You either get banned a villain, or post long enough to see yourself become the hero
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #3860
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC Fandome is today, with a lot of new teasers and trailers being released.

This is apparently neither a teaser or trailer, but a "sneak peek"...