Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #3681
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was one of the most 'comic booky' movies that I have seen, maybe the most so since Ang Lee's Hulk. It didn't feel like the traditional superhero movie, and that is going to make it decisive for people who go in looking for that. The closest comparison that I could come up with was Punisher : War Zone, which I also enjoyed a lot.

Maybe Tank Girl would also fit into this sub-genre of superhero movies, and about a third of Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #3682
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It was one of the most 'comic booky' movies that I have seen, maybe the most so since Ang Lee's Hulk. It didn't feel like the traditional superhero movie, and that is going to make it decisive for people who go in looking for that. The closest comparison that I could come up with was Punisher : War Zone, which I also enjoyed a lot.

Maybe Tank Girl would also fit into this sub-genre of superhero movies, and about a third of Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
The rocket launcher scene in War Zone is classic. It kills me everytime. It gives me giggles just thinking about it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #3683
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what you folks are talking about. The Suicide Squad might be the best thing DC has put out since The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Within 10 minutes it was already better than the first installment.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #3684
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay I'll go see The Suicide Squad. It sounds like fun.

Where does the original rank on the list of comic book movies? I have it in a group with Catwoman and Superman IV.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #3685
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Okay I'll go see The Suicide Squad. It sounds like fun.

Where does the original rank on the list of comic book movies? I have it in a group with Catwoman and Superman IV.
Thats about accurate.

That movie was just hot garbage.

I havent seen the new one yet, but one thing I was wondering...does DC have an off-brand, low budget CGI team?

Do they just farm out the CGI in their films to a local High School A/V club or something?

Modern CGI can be pretty amazing, but DC seems like they manage to do it extraordinarily badly as a rule.

What is with that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #3686
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This movie seemed to get a lot of positive reviews (my brother loved it and he doesn't like comic book movies) but did below expectations on the weekend bringing in $26.5 million.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #3687
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Saw it, loved it.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 91% I would say that is about right for me, 9/10. Not quite 10 because, like many Marvel movies, they tried a bit to hard to be funny and it cost them.

But the movie is exactly what I expected being a fan of the comics. Gunn did a great job and I hope to see more from him in the DCEU.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:21 PM   #3688
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Holy #### what a breath of fresh air for DC. Best one since Shazam in my opinion.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:32 PM   #3689
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Saw it, loved it.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 91% I would say that is about right for me, 9/10. Not quite 10 because, like many Marvel movies, they tried a bit to hard to be funny and it cost them.

But the movie is exactly what I expected being a fan of the comics. Gunn did a great job and I hope to see more from him in the DCEU.
91% on RT just means 91% of reviewers gave it a thumbs up.

It has an average rating of 7.5 from those critics.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:53 PM   #3690
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

TDK using his powers was absolutely hilarious.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #3691
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
91% on RT just means 91% of reviewers gave it a thumbs up.

It has an average rating of 7.5 from those critics.
Good to know, I don't really pay attention to critics but this site seems to love RT for justifying how good other movies are so I was just using it as my metric.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about the movie if you enjoyed the experience..
Old 08-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #3692
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know, I don't really pay attention to critics but this site seems to love RT for justifying how good other movies are so I was just using it as my metric.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks about the movie if you enjoyed the experience..
Metacritic I've found is a much better basis of the average score

Not perfect but each critic gives a score and it averages

Suicide squad is 73 there, which is really good
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 12:57 AM   #3693
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

It's also always interesting to see the difference between critics and the general audience.

91% critics vs 84% audience in terms of yes/no, but rated 7.5 by those critics vs 8.4 from the audience. Go figure.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #3694
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The first 3 episodes of Titans season 3 is out. I've only watched the first but it was great. Lots of action and set up for the season. A bunch of Easter eggs for fans of the comics too.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:02 AM   #3695
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The first 3 episodes of Titans season 3 is out. I've only watched the first but it was great. Lots of action and set up for the season. A bunch of Easter eggs for fans of the comics too.
Is this show worth getting into? I’m a comic fan and consume most media for it. But as soon as Nightwing said “F*** Batman” in the trailer my eyes rolled back so hard and fast.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #3696
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Is this show worth getting into? I’m a comic fan and consume most media for it. But as soon as Nightwing said “F*** Batman” in the trailer my eyes rolled back so hard and fast.
The DC live action tv content is really a love it or hate it thing. Titans to me seems like the CW stuff without the content restrictions.

It's all very soap opera like. The production values and costumes are bad. The actors all have the same look, younger and fresh faced. It all kind of follows that Smallville formula. If you like that stuff, then this might appeal. It's an "edgier" version with slightly higher production values.

Personally, I hate all of it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #3697
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It took me a bit to get into the first season but they smoothed out the edges. If you're a fan of the Titans characters I think it's worth a try.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #3698
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The DC live action tv content is really a love it or hate it thing. Titans to me seems like the CW stuff without the content restrictions.

It's all very soap opera like. The production values and costumes are bad. The actors all have the same look, younger and fresh faced. It all kind of follows that Smallville formula. If you like that stuff, then this might appeal. It's an "edgier" version with slightly higher production values.

Personally, I hate all of it.
I don't know, Titans is so-so for me, but I absolutely love Doom Patrol (except cyborg).
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:22 AM   #3699
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I don't know, Titans is so-so for me, but I absolutely love Doom Patrol (except cyborg).
Doom Patrol I like. The DC live action properties, outside of their main continuinty, can be pretty great.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #3700
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched a bit of the first season of Titans. One thing that immediately takes me out of almost every superhero movie/series is that they feel that they need to hire short actresses, in order to make the actors look bigger than they are.

Starfire should be taller than just about everyone on that show, but instead she's an easy foot shorter. DC and Marvel both think that women should be tiny, but overpowered. It's really irritating.