Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2021, 08:24 PM   #4121
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Played mount Kidd today. Course was in great shape for this time of year but the greens were an utter embarrassment. Haven’t been mowed or rolled in forever. Also were punched recently.

Shot an 89 and the weather was fantastic and we saw some avalanches so all in all a great day.
Played Lorette yesterday, couldn’t get a putt to the hole
Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #4122
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Another great day for golf. No wind and everyone was moving quickly. Finished in 3 hours.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #4123
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Played Lorette yesterday, couldn’t get a putt to the hole
Was brutal eh? Got used to it after 6 or 7 at least...
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 PM   #4124
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Another great day for golf. No wind and everyone was moving quickly. Finished in 3 hours.
Very lucky. Played River Spirit today and it was still 4 hrs. I don’t get it.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #4125
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
I dunno. With zero people in front of me, it’s still 3 hours to 3.5 hours to actually enjoy a round in my opinion. Can play quicker but it’s no fun.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #4126
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I actually don’t understand how golf is played in over 3 hours? I play with a regular group of guys who take time each shot, read putts etc. We are just over 3hrs on the regular. There’s 12 of us, with rotating 4 soles and it’s never far off.

However, we also don’t have to look for tons of balls. The most amount of time that can be saved by people is understanding how to manage themselves around a course, when to hit(ready golf), where to park and gabbing on the tee.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:21 PM   #4127
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
I actually don’t understand how golf is played in over 3 hours? I play with a regular group of guys who take time each shot, read putts etc. We are just over 3hrs on the regular. There’s 12 of us, with rotating 4 soles and it’s never far off.

However, we also don’t have to look for tons of balls. The most amount of time that can be saved by people is understanding how to manage themselves around a course, when to hit(ready golf), where to park and gabbing on the tee.
The big thing to me is people need to get to their ball and be prepared to hit on their turn. People who wait to prepare (whatever their pre-shot ritual is), slow things down. It’s not that it needs to be a huge rush, but just be ready to hit on your turn.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #4128
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
It depends on the course and how difficult it is. Plus the pace of play of the golfers in front of you. Mind you Nanton is an easy and shorter course to play when compared to River Spirit.

My tee shots are fairly straight and I don't lose very many balls off the tee. That speeds things up when you don't have to look for balls all the time. I also don't spend a lot time analyzing my putts on the green.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #4129
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I played two rounds at Strathmore this weekend, fantastic weather, and course shape etc, but the strange thing was there were times we were waiting for the group in front of us, yet the Marshall asked us to speed up 3-4 times. I thought that was weird. We finished in 3 hours 12 mins which felt pretty damn quick to me, and coulda been 5 minutes shorter without all the Marshall chats.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #4130
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I played two rounds at Strathmore this weekend, fantastic weather, and course shape etc, but the strange thing was there were times we were waiting for the group in front of us, yet the Marshall asked us to speed up 3-4 times. I thought that was weird. We finished in 3 hours 12 mins which felt pretty damn quick to me, and coulda been 5 minutes shorter without all the Marshall chats.
Marshalls just don't know what to actually do to keep things flowing so they pick random stupid stuff to feel like they're doing their job.

On our last round, one of our guys had two options with the 90 degree rule with carts. He could drive 100 yards to the path and then 100 yards back to his ball along the lake after a duffed shot. Or he could drive 20 yards along the lake to his ball.

The marshall came flying out, screaming from one hole over. 90 DEGREES!!!! IT'S 90 DEGREES!!!!. The guy was so embarrassed by the marshalls screaming. He was like "Ok, but I figured I'd drive 20 yards on your grass instead of 200 yards to the path and back". It was such a bizarre stand to take.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #4131
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Did you tell the Marshall you were waiting on for the group in front of you all the time?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #4132
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got 36 holes booked for Saturday, and it’s looking like the weather is turning for the the better!
Old 05-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #4133
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i got tees for saturday with my son and monday with the wife - ready to test out my new three wood tomorrow at the range
Old 05-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #4134
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got out for an early morning 9 today, and I can't believe how much I enjoyed golfing alone. I've never done it before and it was awesome.

Got a few more solo rounds lined up this week.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:23 AM   #4135
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played Heatherglen this weekend. It was pretty slow and backed up as we were waiting at every shot. It was about 4hrs15mins for the round. Definitely regret getting a power cart, lol
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #4136
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If twosomes and singles can't play 18 in 3 hours with a cart, they're doing it wrong.

The pace of play is the one silver lining in this.

We played as a foursome in a low covid area on friday in 3:15. It was glorious and never felt rushed once.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #4137
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
If twosomes and singles can't play 18 in 3 hours with a cart, they're doing it wrong.

The pace of play is the one silver lining in this.

We played as a foursome in a low covid area on friday in 3:15. It was glorious and never felt rushed once.
Kananaskis was about 4 hours 15 minutes on Saturday and did 9 at elbow on Sunday evening in an hour 50 minutes. Not all that impressed.

Hoping my rounds are faster next weekend.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #4138
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Did you tell the Marshall you were waiting on for the group in front of you all the time?
I did, but he seemed to show up right after we finished a par 3 (which we were waiting for the people to putt and finish on the green) and by then the group would be near the green on the next hole. Just got the impression that you shouldn't talk or laugh, hit your ball and dont stop moving. I dont get it.

Also, I noticed this couple in front of us, sometimes they didn't even putt. An older couple, so maybe its a health thing. On one par 4 there is an island green and a non-island. It switches each day, on this day it was the island green and they didn't even attemp to hit their balls there. Picked them up and went to the next hole. But I wont golf like that, I dont do gimmes or mulligans. If I 4-putt so be it, but I finish the hole.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #4139
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have golfed alone a few times at heatherglen - did 18 in about 2.40 and there are a few holes there were it is a hike.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #4140
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speargrass is pure right now. Greens are amazing. Course is firm and fast. Probably about as close to British Open conditions you'll see around Calgary.

Some brown patches here and there, nothing that some rain won't solve.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow