Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default After Earth (Spoilers)

If I can save but just one person, I'll be happy. This movie is terrible, terrible, terrible. It's very possible I missed some things at the start as I was with a chatty friend but...

1) How is it that a society is capable of space travel, has advanced medical equipment, ping pong paddles that can beam an SOS deep into outer space decide that their primary form of fighting is close quarter combat with some crazy morphing sword?

2) The sudden cold snaps. It will freeze you almost instantly but the lush vegetation is unaffected by it?

3) Why did the bird that just about fed you to its kids decide that after you failed to protect them it would sacrifice it's life during the above deep freeze to help you out?

I'm really interested in hearing opinions of others as I do feel like I missed something somewhere at the start.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could have told you it would be terrible just by watching the trailers.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Others? I doubt anyone else on here is going to see that pile of crap. I see pretty much every movie that is even remotely worth seeing in theaters, and even I couldn't force myself to see this pile of crap.

I am so glad to see it flopped, and hopefully M Night and Will Smith's kid disappear from making movies in short order.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Never understood the argument or complaint of a movie not being realistic, when its pure fiction.

Its not a documentary, the story lives within its own created universe and doesn't follow the rules of ours. All that being said such ridiculous jumps in realism annoy me as well.

Regardless, I had a suspicion it would be terrible, I am glad you confirmed it

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

From what I understand the CGI effects were pretty terrible and the movie didn't make a lot of sense.

I think if this bombs the only interest in M Night will be to make direct to DVD national lampoon movies. You can only live by the twist for so long before it becomes predictable.

This was a Smith vanity project to get his kid more attention as a serious actor.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
Never understood the argument or complaint of a movie not being realistic, when its pure fiction.

Its not a documentary, the story lives within its own created universe and doesn't follow the rules of ours. All that being said such ridiculous jumps in realism annoy me as well.

Regardless, I had a suspicion it would be terrible, I am glad you confirmed it
Totally agree. I love my scifi and usually give it a good chunk of leeway before I start complaining but this was just flat out ridiculous in places.

Hollow acting, no attachment/care for the lead characters. Just terrible. If this was him just trying to get his son attention it worked, but for the wrong reasons.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Imagine how much crappier the Transformers movies would have been if M. Night Shyamalan directed them...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

http://io9.com/after-earth-the-spoiler-faq-511250161
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\

Yep...that sums it up quite nicely.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

You could see this coming from miles away. Smith + Smith + M. Night was a guaranteed flop. My co-worker said that he didn't realize M. Night was the director. The trailers apparently don't mention it. I'm trying to remember where I heard it, but can't. It's like they were trying to hide who the director was lol.

What a twist!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Went to see Star Trek and it was sold out and the only choice was this piece of hot garbage. First movie I've seen in about a year and it was this pile of barf. Lame
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Imagine how much crappier the Transformers movies would have been if M. Night Shyamalan directed them...
Why am I the only one who seems to have enjoyed the Transformers movies?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Went to see Star Trek and it was sold out and the only choice was this piece of hot garbage. First movie I've seen in about a year and it was this pile of barf. Lame
Thoughts and prayers.

You should have walked out half way in and asked for a refund, or tickets to a different movie. I've never tried that myself, but I've been told it works.

Surprised to see Star Trek showings sold out at this point though.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Why am I the only one who seems to have enjoyed the Transformers movies?
You should join VANFLAMESFAN's club.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
You could see this coming from miles away. Smith + Smith + M. Night was a guaranteed flop. My co-worker said that he didn't realize M. Night was the director. The trailers apparently don't mention it. I'm trying to remember where I heard it, but can't. It's like they were trying to hide who the director was lol.

What a twist!
I don't know who that is. What else has he directed?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Sixth Sense, Unbrekable, Signs, movies that got worse and worse after that...
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #17
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I don't know who that is. What else has he directed?
Really you don't know who M Night is? He's the master of terrible movies on an increasingly sliding scale.

Sixth Sense- everyone loved this one, but I found it a tad predictable. It was actually nominated for Best Picture, which is an achievement for a mystery/thriller.
Unbreakable - slightly underrated, but the pacing was off on this one. Probably my favorite twist though.
Signs - loved this movie as a kid (I actually saw in three time in theaters), but when I grew up I realized how idiotic much of it was, and the movie has huge problems. Still I don't think it's a bad movie, and the movie is at least well shot.
The Village - this is where things really started to go down hill. It had some potential, but the movie is flat out boring, and at this point M Night became full of himself; especially once he began casting himself in important roles. The twist ending was decent, but not great.
Lady in the Water - Ugh what a piece of crap this was. I actually haven't seen all of it, in fact I couldn't get past the first ten minutes of the movie. I've seen a lot of crap in my day, and this has to be among the worst. The movie seemed overly pretentious, especially with M Night making him a savior in the movie. Unwatchable dreck to say the least.
The Happening - I wouldn't go near this one with a ten foot clown pole, as it's awful in every sense of the word. The plot is insane, and the acting is atrocious. It's also downright silly, and laughably bad at parts. I guess if you're looking for movies that are so bad they're good, then this one might fit the bill.
The Last Airbender - Well this one completely pissed off any fans of the anime (even though I've never seen it). Once again pretty much everything is terrible about this one. The acting is awful, the characters are all racist stereotypes, and the special effects are among the worst of the past century (hard to believe it had a budget of 140 million). You would think this would have been the end of Shyamalan's career, but surprisingly it was a hit at the box office. I have no idea why, but on this occasion it made a ton of money overseas.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, I don't have a clue who he is. The list Daradon posted surprised me at first as I thought those were pretty decent movies. But ya, I did see the Village and that wasn't very good and the Happening was awful. I think I watched that last airbender on netflix and it was so bad I had to turn it off.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 06-06-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I actually still really like Signs. I think you need to look at it as a metaphor though. Or a vision/dream as has been suggested.

At the end of the day, the very first time you watched it, it was full of REAL suspense. Not just jump moments, even though there were a few good ones there too. And had some pretty good laughs in it too. Not to mention some good acting.

But yeah, everything after that, steaming pile on top of steaming pile. Thought The Village and The Happening had potential, but they got caught in that trap of too bad to be good and too good to be bad. Execution was horrible, plots started falling apart, and the acting really went downhill.

Last edited by Daradon; 06-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I wonder if this movie's problem was that M Night directed it or that Will Smith came up with the story.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote