Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #61
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAllTheWay View Post
Gotta be Spaceballs for me. Pretty famous flick for what it is. Great cast as well.

Likely going to need some write-ins for this but Best Sci Fi Actor? Ill try to make it so they've played a prominent role in at least 2 separate Sci Fi movies/franchises. But feel free to go with whatever:

1) Harrison Ford (Star Wars trilogy, Blade Runner)
2) Edward James Olmos (Blade Runner, Battlestar Galactica)
3) Sigourney Weaver (Alien trilogy, Galaxy Quest, Ghostbusters)
4) Michael Biehn (Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss)
5) William Shatner (A whole bunch of Star Trek... Okay, doesn't exactly meet my criteria but I think he should be here. I'm sure there's a sci fi parody he's in I can remember!)
6) Arnold Schwarzenegger: (Terminator trilogy, Predator)

Tough one but for me Michael Biehn's biggest films seem to all be from the sci fi genre. Same may go for Sigourney Weaver - will always be Ellen Ripley and Dana Barrett first and foremost to me.

Thoughts?
Schwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver tie. Not only Terminator and Predator, but Total Recall, The Running Man, and other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head. And Weaver, what a stellar sci-fi resume.

Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman for Fifth Element honourable mentions.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #62
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Schwarzenegger and Sigourney Weaver tie. Not only Terminator and Predator, but Total Recall, The Running Man, and other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head. And Weaver, what a stellar sci-fi resume.

Shatner was absolutely hilarious in the second airplane movie which had a sci fi setting.

I don't know, but I take Ford the sci-fi he's been in have been absolute game changers

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #63
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Good points about Schwarzenegger. Can't believe I forgot Total Recall.

I liked Fifth Element too. If you look at the cast it almost seems like a subtle homage to sci fi in general. I know they used the actors who played Sgt Apone in Aliens and then the other male replicant in Blade Runner in some smaller roles (both maybe Generals). There are a few others as well I believe who were in sci fi movies from years past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch
I don't know, but I take Ford the sci-fi he's been in have been absolute game changers
Yeah, tough to argue against Han Solo. Then you have Blade Runner to boot. Then you have Episode VII of Star Wars (though remains to be seen how it will affect this poll heheh).

Quick search of imdb and he's in the new Enders Game movie also!

Last edited by FlamesAllTheWay; 06-05-2013 at 10:12 PM.
FlamesAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #64
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

If you are taking Schwarzenegger then you have to take up actors like Tom Cruise who release a major sci-fi movie every couple of years. Minority Report and Oblivion were quite good and I actually like them more than any of Arnold's "sci-fi" movies aside from T2.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #65
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lawrence Fishburne should get a mention with the Matrix and Event Horizon as well.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Lawrence Fishburne should get a mention with the Matrix and Event Horizon as well.
Oh yeah. Totally forgot Keanu as well. I actually liked Johnny Mnemonic.. And Bill & Ted was kind of sci-fi.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #67
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAllTheWay View Post
Gotta be Spaceballs for me. Pretty famous flick for what it is. Great cast as well.

Likely going to need some write-ins for this but Best Sci Fi Actor? Ill try to make it so they've played a prominent role in at least 2 separate Sci Fi movies/franchises. But feel free to go with whatever:

1) Harrison Ford (Star Wars trilogy, Blade Runner)
2) Edward James Olmos (Blade Runner, Battlestar Galactica)
3) Sigourney Weaver (Alien trilogy, Galaxy Quest, Ghostbusters)
4) Michael Biehn (Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss)
5) William Shatner (A whole bunch of Star Trek... Okay, doesn't exactly meet my criteria but I think he should be here. I'm sure there's a sci fi parody he's in I can remember!)
6) Arnold Schwarzenegger: (Terminator trilogy, Predator)

Tough one but for me Michael Biehn's biggest films seem to all be from the sci fi genre. Same may go for Sigourney Weaver - will always be Ellen Ripley and Dana Barrett first and foremost to me.

Thoughts?
Sam Rockwell deserves to be in the list, though not topping it: Moon, Galaxy Quest, Hitchhiker's Guide, Iron Man 2 (probably the most sci-fi of any major superhero series), Cowboys and Aliens.

Last edited by octothorp; 06-07-2013 at 11:42 AM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #68
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Because Matrix 2 and 3 were so jaw droppingly bad and confusing I like to pretend that only the first movie was made.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #69
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Because Matrix 2 and 3 were so jaw droppingly bad and confusing I like to pretend that only the first movie was made.
The Matrix sequels, I think only sucked comparatively because the Matrix set the bar so high. Once the Matrix came out, every movie made after it really never had a chance. I don't think anything has come out since the Matrix that could even come close to matching that "that was the most amazing movie I have ever seen" feeling you had when you left the theatre after seeing it. Even the seqels wouldn't measure up, though I think in their own right they're pretty good, and I am somewhat at a loss to think of any main stream movies that have come close to even the sequels. Maybe the Fellowship of the Ring or Fight Club...

Poll idea...what sci-fi movie (made after 2003) would you rather watch than any of the Matrix sequels?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #70
FlamesAllTheWay
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Poll idea...what sci-fi movie (made after 2003) would you rather watch than any of the Matrix sequels?
Serenity (2005)

And for all it's flaws, I quite enjoyed Prometheus (2012).
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #71
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just occurred to me that nobody mentioned will smith for best sci-fi actor. And you look at the sheer number of sci-fi films he's been in: the men in black movies, I robot, Independence Day, after earth, even wild Wild West and I am legend, if you include techno fantasy and post apocalyptic movies in the genre. That's nearly one sci-fi movie every two years over about 18 years. Maybe it's the fact that none of these are really respected as science-fiction films, instead mostly being action movies in a sci-fi setting.

Oh, and as for sci-fi films I'd rather watch than the Matrix sequels... I can easily come up with 10 just from 2010 onward: Star Trek Into Darkness, Prometheus, Looper, Super 8, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, In Time, Tron, Inception, Another Earth, Source Code. And there's about another dozen or so that I haven't seen that I'd chose over either Matrix sequel if both were on TV. If I were to go back to 2003, I'd probably have a list of 30 or 40 sci-fi movies I'd rather watch than a Matrix sequel.

And there's even a pretty big drop off between the second and third Matrix films. If you asked which sci-fi film I'd rather see than Matrix Revolutions, the answer would be 'just about every science fiction movie ever made'. Reloaded doesn't totally suck, but there are a lot of better sci-fi films out there.

Last edited by octothorp; 06-07-2013 at 07:56 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #72
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow Octothorpe, you nailed it.

I will say though, I liked the third matrix movie more than the second. I think the architect killed any momentum the second movie had. At least at the end of the third oone you knew there would be no more. And the CG in the zion fight blew my mind at the time.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #73
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I thought the second Matrix movie was pretty good, though not as good as the first. The third was definitely a steaming pile. I actually nearly nodded off in it and that has NEVER happened to me in the theater.

I think mostly because they had all these great philosophical and existential questions all loaded up in the series and then just dodged answering any of them with way too much action that wasn't even all that good. And the final battle with Agent Smith was so over the top it was completely brutal. But they kinda forced themselves into that.

However, a lot of the supporting stuff they did for the series was just as good as the first movie. The Animatrix was entertaining, interesting, and creepy. The one PS2/Xbox game that followed alongside the second film where you took the place as Naomi or Ghost was also cool and gave you some additional footage.

As for Lawrance Fishburne, he has a pretty good soliloquy in the second Matrix.

Dunno if I'd agree with all (or even half) of those movies you named as better in the last 3 years Octothorpe, (the remake of Tron? really? Looper?) but I think we all agree neither of the Matrix sequels are anything to hold up as a classic or are even very good.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #74
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

star wars isn't sci-fi, it's space fantasy. >:[

capt buzzkill over and out.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #75
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You forgot Galaxy Quest. I would have placed that 2nd to Space Balls.

... Those Family Guy episodes were insipid and pretty much revolved around animating the Star Wars trilogy with Family Guy characters with no other added value. There was simply nothing funny or original about them.
Prepare to suck some Dak!

Other than that I mostly agree.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #76
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Two of my favorite Robot Chicken skits, they really nail palpatine and Fett