Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #241
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
"Up" is on Netflix. Pretty early to be released there.
Not on Netlfix Canada however.

There have been quite a few new releases recently, however. I'm happy with the service so far.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #242
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing so far.

In the past they have just given you a warning if you go over. I recently read on beyond.ca that they were working on charging for bandwidth overages like Bell was recently been given permission to do. A friend I have who works for Shaw confirmed the testing, and added there was a lot of work to be done before it went live.

As much as I dislike the idea of charging, it really makes sense when you think about it. As a cable provider they have competition in iTunes, Netflix and other download options (usenet, torrents) that simply leeches off their high speed internet. If people are bypassing their limits by using these alternatives then there are 2 options: cutting off service, or charging for that bandwidth overage.

The days of 'unlimited internet' are severely numbered and once all the providers adopt a "pay if you go over" model, then services like netflix will become less viable because you will actually be paying the true cost of your usage.

edit: I saw a chart (probably in this thread?) that showed netflix as the second highest single consumer of bandwidth in the US. I tried to find it via google but I am at a loss, anyone know where I could find it?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #243
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Nothing so far.

In the past they have just given you a warning if you go over. I recently read on beyond.ca that they were working on charging for bandwidth overages like Bell was recently been given permission to do. A friend I have who works for Shaw confirmed the testing, and added there was a lot of work to be done before it went live.

As much as I dislike the idea of charging, it really makes sense when you think about it. As a cable provider they have competition in iTunes, Netflix and other download options (usenet, torrents) that simply leeches off their high speed internet. If people are bypassing their limits by using these alternatives then there are 2 options: cutting off service, or charging for that bandwidth overage.

The days of 'unlimited internet' are severely numbered and once all the providers adopt a "pay if you go over" model, then services like netflix will become less viable because you will actually be paying the true cost of your usage.

edit: I saw a chart (probably in this thread?) that showed netflix as the second highest single consumer of bandwidth in the US. I tried to find it via google but I am at a loss, anyone know where I could find it?
Anyone know what Telus Optik download limits are?

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #244
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Anyone know what Telus Optik download limits are?
My friend told me since Telus Optik TV goes through the internet also, they can't distinguish if your bandwidth usage is from internet use or TV use. Since they can't stop you from watching TV, there is no limit. I can double check that though.

EDIT

Did some more digging, I guess you can sign in and monitor your usage. Right now, my friend's counter still shows 0.00 GB used. He said in the future, if they chose to enable a limit, it would be 100 gigs

Last edited by Flaming Choy; 12-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #245
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will add that apparently the cost per GB over that 100GB is set at $2/GB.

I don't have time to find the contract on the telus website, but it is mentioned in this thread on digital home (post #4). Those people who have Optik could just check the contract they signed to confirm.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #246
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Telus doesn't trace bandwidth. Usage will stay at 0 on your account regardless of how much you use. (they are unable to at the moment)

edit: i repeated what flaming choy said it seems :P
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #247
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although I'm not likely going to watch The Tudors or Republic of Doyle, this press release does say that something amazing is coming to Netflix: All five seasons of Kids in the Hall.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../13/c4607.html
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #248
Prototype

Exp:

"An Evening With Kevin Smith"... all 3:45 of it... is now available. They are really doing a good job of stepping up the selection lately.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #249
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top Gear seasons 9-12 just showed up on the feed, as well as the Kids in Hall stuff and a bunch of British programs.

http://www.netflix.ca/NewWatchInstantlyRSS
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #250
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Woot for Top Gear. That's great news. My wife is adamant we cancel it, but I can't bring myself to cut the cord.

Last edited by Russic; 12-15-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #251
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Top Gear seasons 9-12 just showed up on the feed, as well as the Kids in Hall stuff and a bunch of British programs.

Awesome, Top Gear! I really really wish they had queuing. There are many things I want to watch but I keep forgetting what they are.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #252
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Awesome, Top Gear! I really really wish they had queuing. There are many things I want to watch but I keep forgetting what they are.
I pseudo queue.

I start the first episode of the shows I want to watch, so they are reasonably close to the top of the list of stuff I can resume watching later.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #253
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

I'm hoping they'll add more seasons of SNL, especially 1996-2006. For $7.99 a month, this service is absolutely worth it.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #254
Prototype

Exp:

Walk Hard. Nuff Said!

I double suggestion of fake queue. Just start the show/movie you want to watch, then use "reciently watched". Sucks to have to do that, but it's the best we got as Canadians.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #255
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
Walk Hard. Nuff Said!

I double suggestion of fake queue. Just start the show/movie you want to watch, then use "reciently watched". Sucks to have to do that, but it's the best we got as Canadians.
I have a little folder of bookmarks in Firefox that I use to keep track of what I want to see. I'm never too far away from my laptop and/or phone, and I can view that list on there and then watch it on the TV.

Not ideal, but it does the trick. The selection is improving nicely. I already have more things "queued" than I am able to watch.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #256
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

There's some real quality stuff actually.

Top Gear goes without saying obviously. (It's worth getting Netflix just for this show alone)

Also very good:

MI-5 or Spooks as it's called in the UK: Brilliant show
House of Cards
The Tudors
The Vicar of Dibley
Waiting for God
Michael Palin: Any of his travel docs
Chef
A bit if Fry & Laurie (Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie)
Red Dwarf: Back to Earth
Waking the Dead
Survivors
Gavin & Stacy (Popular show but not my favourite)

Netflix is becoming better all of the time. Great to see.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #257
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Watched the first two episodes of Top Gear Season 9 last night. I forgot how funny their trip across the south was. I was in tears.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #258
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Watched the first two episodes of Top Gear Season 9 last night. I forgot how funny their trip across the south was. I was in tears.
Is that when they had gay slogans painted on one of the cars and literally had to run away from the gas station because people were throwing rocks at them? Good times.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #259
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Is that when they had gay slogans painted on one of the cars and literally had to run away from the gas station because people were throwing rocks at them? Good times.
Technically only one had a gay slogan and the others had a message of support for Hillary Clinton and that country music was "rubbish". I suppose the country music one also claimed to be bisexual. Regardless it was outstanding.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #260
Prototype

Exp:

Huge update to start off 2011!