Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #441
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Maybe a hard sell, but not impossible. Get Out was just nominated for best picture and many other awards just recently.

The problem is that horror films follow formulas and have consistent tropes throughout almost all of them. If any horror film says something unique and new, it gets consideration. It's rare.

I haven't seen the film you're talking about, and I'm sure it's a good film, but you do have to be very unique to get consideration as a horror film.
The thing is that Get Out actually does follow the generic horror formula in the last 1/4 of the movie which was what keeps it from perfection. Hereditary is a better crafted movie and it's problem is that it's not mainstream enough like Get Out and somewhat uncomfortable which some people don't like.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #442
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I watched Tag last night, I really liked the movie for two weeks. Renner showed some great comedy chops. Isla Fisher is so much fun in comedy roles.

I loved the video at the end showing the actual friends playing the game.

What happened after two weeks?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #443
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
What happened after two weeks?

Funny story, I have some permanent damage from concussions, what we've found is that my brain is inserting different words when I type things out, sometimes I catch it sometimes I don't.

Whether this will get worse, my doctor couldn't tell me, but at this point its worse then it was 5 years ago.

Sometimes I'll post, look at it and it looks fine. Then I go back a while later, and there are just random words in there that make no sense.

So I'm going to go back and fix that and feel shame

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #444
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #445
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

No shame at all Captain.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #446
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my kid to The Kid who Would Be King.

She really enjoyed it. It was OK. Not a bad kid adventure movie.
Well done reboot of a classic story .

The theatre was almost empty though. Less than 10 people total. This could be a big bomb, but it wasnt bad. Strong rotton tomatoes reviews as well.

Last edited by killer_carlson; 01-27-2019 at 10:01 PM.
killer_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:16 AM   #447
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Took my kid to The Kid who Would Be King.

She really enjoyed it. It was OK. Not a bad kid adventure movie.
Well done reboot of a classic story .

The theatre was almost empty though. Less than 10 people total. This could be a big bomb, but it wasnt bad. Strong rotton tomatoes reviews as well.

Not going to touch the best
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #448
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Halloween 79% on RT? I finally got around to seeing this and I can understand that teenagers may like it but to me if you stripped Halloween from the title would be as forgettable as any of the hundreds of B-horror movies out there today. No scares, no suspense, and not even a lot of gore. While it's nice to see Jamie Lee Curtis back in the fold some of the dialogue she was given was cringe-worthy bad.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #449
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Not going to touch the best

I think you meant to post a video of "Excalibur".
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:54 AM   #450
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very late to the party here, but I finally saw Into the Spiderverse.

I consider myself a fairly big Spider-Man fan and I had no idea this movie was even coming out. I didn't really hear about it until after it was released and noticed all the rave reviews. Even after the praise I tempered my expectations, but I am happy to say it lived up to the reviews.

Funny, unique, and entertaining. Just a treat to watch and a fresh take on the superhero genre.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #451
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

another late viewing of Spiderverse. Terrific film! Wife and kids loved it, too.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #452
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The thing is that Get Out actually does follow the generic horror formula in the last 1/4 of the movie which was what keeps it from perfection. Hereditary is a better crafted movie and it's problem is that it's not mainstream enough like Get Out and somewhat uncomfortable which some people don't like.

Get Out is a great horror movie, but it 100% got nominated for promoting the kind of identity politics that Hollywood busts a nut over, just like Crash. Make the movie about class instead of race and everything would still work, but it would get 0 oscar consideration.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #453
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Watched Venom on my flight home from Toronto last night, and the best way to describe it is a good character wrapped up in a bad movie. Tom Hardy was good, though I think he tried a little too hard with the accent and mannerisms. The symbiote itself was great and I loved the interactions between it and Brock. Everything else though was pretty bad, especially the main villain and his henchman. They were straight out of a B-movie. It would be nice if Sony just wised up and let Marvel take the reigns to integrate Venom into the Spiderman world, but that will probably never happen. Hopefully they get a more competent writer and better actors for the sequel though (at least the post-credits scene was promising on the latter)

I also tried to watch the new Predator movie, but gave up about 15 minutes in. Holy hell that thing is hot garbage
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #454
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Watched Venom on my flight home from Toronto last night, and the best way to describe it is a good character wrapped up in a bad movie. Tom Hardy was good, though I think he tried a little too hard with the accent and mannerisms. The symbiote itself was great and I loved the interactions between it and Brock. Everything else though was pretty bad, especially the main villain and his henchman. They were straight out of a B-movie. It would be nice if Sony just wised up and let Marvel take the reigns to integrate Venom into the Spiderman world, but that will probably never happen. Hopefully they get a more competent writer and better actors for the sequel though (at least the post-credits scene was promising on the latter)

I also tried to watch the new Predator movie, but gave up about 15 minutes in. Holy hell that thing is hot garbage
I'm not going to get too much into Venom because I think you're pretty close, but that Predator movie?

"I'm trapped on a plane. This is what I have. Its either watch it or die. Well. Death it is then."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #455
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Get Out is a great horror movie, but it 100% got nominated for promoting the kind of identity politics that Hollywood busts a nut over, just like Crash. Make the movie about class instead of race and everything would still work, but it would get 0 oscar consideration.
The plot would not still play out the same if you changed it from race to class. It would be a RADICALLY different movie. Of all the dumb takes on Get Out, this might be the dumbest.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #456
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually didn't mind Venom as a mindless time waster. I actually think the character is one of the best in the Marvel universe and the film did a great job of making him menacing yet kind of nerdy as the comment of "On my planet I'm kind of a loser like you" suggests he's a castoff taking advantage of a better situation on earth. It's too bad the movie itself wasn't as well thought out as the story is along the lines of something I would expect from a Netflix original.

Is it me or does Tom Hardy do a weird American accent? It sounds like he's slurring like a drunk at times.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #457
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Tom Hardy's schtick is pretty much just mumbling and slurring his lines in different ways each movie.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #458
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Tom Hardy's schtick is pretty much just mumbling and slurring his lines in different ways each movie.
You shut your mouth when you talk about Tom Hardy.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 11:44 AM   #459
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
The plot would not still play out the same if you changed it from race to class. It would be a RADICALLY different movie. Of all the dumb takes on Get Out, this might be the dumbest.

Nah, they could still hit all the same beats and tell the same story, 'outsider who's adopted into uncomfortable new environment' is an old trope that works with a lot of different groups and cultures. Make him a poor white boy and the script would only need minor revisions.

The path they took gave the movie a unique flavour that certainly elevated it, but they didn't make a masterpiece. The ending was bat#### crazy (which I loved), but it all ended up a whole lot cornier than you'd expect to see in an award winning movie. It kind of felt like a Key & Peele sketch that Peele blew up into a really good horror movie. If identity politics wasn't an issue that Hollywood endlessly blows itself over, this movie doesn't get a hint of a nomination.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #460
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not going to get too much into Venom because I think you're pretty close, but that Predator movie?

"I'm trapped on a plane. This is what I have. Its either watch it or die. Well. Death it is then."
Then you shall have death.

Death by Predator viewing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote