Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #301
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Craving Chicago style deep dish. What are a couple good places to check out? I'm in the SW but willing to drive a bit for excellent pizza.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #302
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Is their pizza good? We lived almost across the street from it for 4 years, but never tried it. The fact that the pizzas seemed incredibly expensive kept turning us off.

Now we've moved, so I'll likely never get to try it.
It is quite good. One of our go-to's in that area along with Jon's Pizza. I do find they have a little higher rate of getting our order wrong though. As long as you're ok with a little pizza-roulette now and then.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:49 PM   #303
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
It is quite good. One of our go-to's in that area along with Jon's Pizza. I do find they have a little higher rate of getting our order wrong though. As long as you're ok with a little pizza-roulette now and then.
We always just got it from Jon's.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #304
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Craving Chicago style deep dish. What are a couple good places to check out? I'm in the SW but willing to drive a bit for excellent pizza.
Does anyone in Calgary sell real Chicago-style deep dish (and not the stuff they sell at "Chicago Deep Dish", which is nothing like real Chicago-style pizza)?
Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #305
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Shockingly "Chicago deep dish" off Haddon road is not bad compared to some of the other "Chicago deep dishes" their sauce has flavor and their crust was pretty Shockingly good.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #306
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Does anyone in Calgary sell real Chicago-style deep dish (and not the stuff they sell at "Chicago Deep Dish", which is nothing like real Chicago-style pizza)?
I haven't seen the real thing anywhere in Canada.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #307
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Is their pizza good? We lived almost across the street from it for 4 years, but never tried it. The fact that the pizzas seemed incredibly expensive kept turning us off.

Now we've moved, so I'll likely never get to try it.
to me it was easy to justify the higher price, because they loaded the pie up with toppings. the crust is also a little on the thicker side.

can't say I have ever had a really bad offering from them.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #308
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Bensonhurst pizza (now closed) used to do a chicago style deep dish that looked pretty similar to the real thing, but I haven't tried real Chicago style deep dish so I can't comment.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #309
crazy_eoj
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Forget the deep dish as it will only disappoint in Calgary, and just get one of the great Greek Pizza's in town.

My personal fave is Spiro's but there's lots of good options.
crazy_eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #310
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Yellow Box Pizza advertised Chicago style, but I've never tried it.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #311
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Thin crust pizza from the Italian Supermarket on Edmonton Trail and 20th Ave. One of the best damn pizzas I've ever eaten, plus I got to listen to a bunch of old guys start arguing in Italian to make it extra authentic
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #312
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
Bensonhurst pizza (now closed) used to do a chicago style deep dish that looked pretty similar to the real thing, but I haven't tried real Chicago style deep dish so I can't comment.
BensonHurst's Pizza was real Chicago Deep Dish. Like a GD lasagna! it was packed.

Unfortunately, deep dish is not popular right now...
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:39 AM   #313
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I tries blaze pizza in mission tonight. Very satisfied! Nice topping choices and a good crust.

Tried 2 build your owns, nice time I'm going to try a pepperoni and a side salad.

Very efficient and good value. Single topping pizza is $8 and build your own was $12.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #314
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Stopped in Priddis for lunch at Priddis Pizza Waterfront Pub. I ordered a 10" Hawaiian (you people that hate pineapple should go get yourselves checked by a doctor), and they brought me out an 8". I nicely pointed it out, and the waitress kindly offered me a deal. I didn't really want to wait to eat, so she told me to eat the 8", and that she'd get me a second 8" in a to go box. Sounded like a pretty good way to fix a minor problem, until I got my apology pizza. I don't know if the pizza cook was mad at me for his mistake, but this was my apology pizza:

So, um, thanks? I ate the two pieces that actually had something on them, and then closed the box and gave it to the waitress and told her she could give the rest of it to the pizza cook as my tip.
I'm sorry you had this bad experience. And we agreed that looks horrible and I'm ashamed to was presented to you in that state.
Neither Cory or I remember a server bringing this to our attention, so I can't provide much other comment.

Quote:
The place is amateur hour. I had lunch there last week and my buddy and I ate our food with empty glasses for at least 10 minutes, while the bartender (who might be the owner) stood 10' away from us, putting cutlery in napkins. We were literally the only patrons in the pub, and we were sitting perpendicular to him, so it's not like one of us was blocking his view of our empty beers. I guess he's not interested in making money?

For the record, I wouldn't have even gone there today, after the crappy service last Wednesday, but I was in the area again, and the only other place in town is closed on Mondays.
Cory and I are pretty sure you are correct and it was him behind the bar.
By the time I had seen this thread, a fair amount of time had passed and he honestly didn't recall this.

It is very unusual for glasses to go empty, he is normally very good at checking before patrons get to the bottom of a glass.

Please accept my personal invitation to visit us again and allow us to make it up to you.

Jane
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 09:18 PM   #315
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

To be fair to the server, she was equally mortified. The box was closed when she put it on the table, and she obviously didn't check it, because I had to show her that pic after she was puzzled about the "tip".
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #316
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

God dammit.

Resisting the urge so badly to set up a gofundme to get 4x4 a new Hawaiian pizza to replace that petty, passive aggressive attempt at sticking it to someone looking for a 'free handout'.

That pizza should be called the 'Hypocrisy Hawaiian.'
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #317
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
God dammit.

Resisting the urge so badly to set up a gofundme to get 4x4 a new Hawaiian pizza to replace that petty, passive aggressive attempt at sticking it to someone looking for a 'free handout'.

Wow. Is that how you took that? The thread turned a bit kooky at the end, and I was light heartening it. Sorry for insulting you, even though FL took it the way I meant it. Heroic. I am shame.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 12:17 AM   #318
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
God dammit.

Send the link. I will thrown in a twenty.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #319
Knut

Exp:

Ever since I was in NYC in November I have craved authentic NY pizza. Anywhere in the city have anything close ?
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #320
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Ever since I was in NYC in November I have craved authentic NY pizza. Anywhere in the city have anything close ?
https://www.sbarro.com/locations/