Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #281
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonmaster View Post
New (ish) pizza place opened up close to my neck of the woods. 20th Ave NW, just west of 19th Street. Wheat: Pizza by Jay

We've tried a fair amount now. The traditional house pie Rooster and Pork & Slaw are both top notch. The thin crust Sweet Heat and Truffle are awesome as well.

They are always super friendly when we pick up and toss a freebie in here and there. The homemade hot sauce is tasty.

Hope they stick around for a while. The location is a bit off the busy section of 20th Ave and might be too far off 19th Street to draw in the crowds they are hoping for.

If you're looking for a new pizza joint, give them a shot.

Edit: here's the website http://www.wheatbyjay.ca/
Looks tasty from photos. Pizza night is Monday (Monday Night Football) at my house and they are closed on Mondays. Might have to find a new pizza night.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #282
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worked a new place in the deep SE called Windsor Pizza. Very dissapointing offering from them. They were so stingy with the sauce. The pies were slightly better than little ceasers; however, they charge a premium price - a small, medium and learned pie, plus an order of garlic bread was $70 including delivery and a tip.

I wound up tossing away the flyer. For that price, olive grove is infinitely better and I wish I would have saved $20 and got poppa in the house.

Will be interested to see if anyone else posts about windsor
Old 12-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #283
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bleach, I had some leftover Windsor pizza for lunch yesterday and it was even worse.

Had a slice and tossed the remaining 3 pieces. Even my son (who really likes little chasers) said it was awful and passed on it.

Will never order from this place again
Old 12-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #284
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Oh my, haha. This place is really getting to you. I was going to try it as there's one in foothills industrial now, and the reviews from locations in eastern Canada were quite favorable.

Hopefully they didn't do that thing where they try to cash in on the name alone when expanding. Your review is a little over the top so I'll probably still try it and see what happens. Maybe they're small enough that there isn't consistency (bad or good) from one location to the next?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #285
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Worked a new place in the deep SE called Windsor Pizza. Very dissapointing offering from them. They were so stingy with the sauce. The pies were slightly better than little ceasers; however, they charge a premium price - a small, medium and learned pie, plus an order of garlic bread was $70 including delivery and a tip.

I wound up tossing away the flyer. For that price, olive grove is infinitely better and I wish I would have saved $20 and got poppa in the house.

olive grove is gonzo.

went to have lunch there last Saturday.....nothing but a construction site now.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #286
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm getting a little closer to home pizza nirvana. Up to now, I have been making my crusts with Italian 00 flour and fermenting in the fridge for 2-4 days. Makes nice thin crust Neapolitan style crusts when cooked between two pizza stones in a well preheated oven as hot as possible. The limitation being my oven only goes to 550F.

This weekend a friend lent me her portable pizza oven, called an Uuni. It burns wood pellets and drafts in such a way that it can get to 900+F in very short amount of time. Even this weekend, we were cooking 60 second pies in -20C air temperatures. It is quite remarkable. Big bubbles in the crust, nice char, leopard spotting on the bottom. All the things I love about proper Italian style pizza from a proper pizza oven.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a couple of pictures
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #287
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Pizza at Tenth Street Landing is not as good as the former FATS.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #288
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I'm getting a little closer to home pizza nirvana. Up to now, I have been making my crusts with Italian 00 flour and fermenting in the fridge for 2-4 days. Makes nice thin crust Neapolitan style crusts when cooked between two pizza stones in a well preheated oven as hot as possible. The limitation being my oven only goes to 550F.

This weekend a friend lent me her portable pizza oven, called an Uuni. It burns wood pellets and drafts in such a way that it can get to 900+F in very short amount of time. Even this weekend, we were cooking 60 second pies in -20C air temperatures. It is quite remarkable. Big bubbles in the crust, nice char, leopard spotting on the bottom. All the things I love about proper Italian style pizza from a proper pizza oven.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a couple of pictures
Here's the odd thing about my pizza oven that sounds a bit like your situation... it's always performs way better in the cold. My thinking is that while you can get the air inside the oven in the 700-900 degree sweet spot, the stone is getting hotter. I find on a regular day my first pizza is perfect, and then they get progressively harder to control from there (the bases burn and the tops don't melt enough). When it's cold out, I think the stone doesn't get too out of control. That's my guess for the time being at least.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #289
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Here's the odd thing about my pizza oven that sounds a bit like your situation... it's always performs way better in the cold. My thinking is that while you can get the air inside the oven in the 700-900 degree sweet spot, the stone is getting hotter. I find on a regular day my first pizza is perfect, and then they get progressively harder to control from there (the bases burn and the tops don't melt enough). When it's cold out, I think the stone doesn't get too out of control. That's my guess for the time being at least.

I think you are right, we had the inlet air wide open on Friday and it was burning bases once we really got it going. Dialing back the inlet air last night made things a lot more consistent.

What kind of oven do you have, if you don't mind me asking? My long term plan is to build a backyard stone oven for pizza and bread.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #290
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I think you are right, we had the inlet air wide open on Friday and it was burning bases once we really got it going. Dialing back the inlet air last night made things a lot more consistent.

What kind of oven do you have, if you don't mind me asking? My long term plan is to build a backyard stone oven for pizza and bread.
I would love to go overboard like that. Also my dream.

For now I use the PizzaQue: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pi...-0853693p.html
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #291
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Large pizza picture.

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #292
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Next time you guys are in Canmore, hit up Red Rock Pizza. Most amazing pizza I've ever tasted in my life. Been there four times and each time has been well worth it.

If you don't have reasons to go to Canmore, that place is possibly worth it by itself.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #293
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
olive grove is gonzo.

WHAT? Are they just renovating?

I grew up in Sundance, and probably ate a hundred of their pizzas.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #294
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh my, haha. This place is really getting to you. I was going to try it as there's one in foothills industrial now, and the reviews from locations in eastern Canada were quite favorable.

Hopefully they didn't do that thing where they try to cash in on the name alone when expanding. Your review is a little over the top so I'll probably still try it and see what happens. Maybe they're small enough that there isn't consistency (bad or good) from one location to the next?
I was also taken by the good reviews I read somewhere. As far as I know foothills is the only location in town. That is where I ordered from.

Maybe their chef was sick that day, and I got some patewan learner or something.

Will be interested to hear your experience.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #295
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
olive grove is gonzo.

I beleive their douglasdale location is still open, or at least I hope it is.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #296
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:

Is this the place on 52nd and 100-somethingth? Yeah, no. I grabbed a bite for lunch a few weeks ago, and it was horrible. I was pissed that I spent ~$12 on that lunch. You should be going to small claims court over your $70.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:08 AM   #297
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I was also taken by the good reviews I read somewhere. As far as I know foothills is the only location in town. That is where I ordered from.

Maybe their chef was sick that day, and I got some patewan learner or something.

Will be interested to hear your experience.
Oh okay, with 4x4's experience posted as well I'll probably pass then. FYI, calling foothills industrial the "deep SE" is blasphemy. It's literally so wrong that I just assumed there must be one down in Auburn Bay or Cranston that you went to.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #298
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess when I moved into new brighton 12 yrs ago it was the deep SE, now, not so much.

I am somewhat relieved to read 4x4's review that their pizza was bad. I feel sad for the people of Windsor for having to live with sub-standard pizza. Hopefully they have an alternative like papa johns of sbarro to go to.

Yes, it was the location in Foothills off of 52nd ave.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #299
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I beleive their douglasdale location is still open, or at least I hope it is.
Drove by Olive Grove in Douglas Glen early yesterday morning. They still had a lighted sign on their door showing their hours.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #300
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I believe their Douglasglen location is still open, or at least I hope it is.
Is their pizza good? We lived almost across the street from it for 4 years, but never tried it. The fact that the pizzas seemed incredibly expensive kept turning us off.

Now we've moved, so I'll likely never get to try it.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote