Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #81
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Would have thought cheese would have really liked this latest episode. Especially when Rust is talking about how stupid the people at the revival thing were. I can see the Christian groups protesting this show pretty soon.
Protesting what? Too accurate a portrayal of reality?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #82
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show is so far one of the darkest, bleakest shows I can ever remember watching. The Wire for instance is certainly bleak, but its more angry than it is dark. This show is just an examination of the dark side of the human condition, the search for the killer really is sort of secondary, but eventually the two will mesh in the episodes to come. Its a slow burn to be sure but its such a relentlessly dark slow burn I can see why it would turn people off.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #83
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I have nothing to add but I really likey this show.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #84
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Matthew McConaughey has been in a lot of good shows lately. The guy can act. It makes you wonder why he wasted all his time doing romantic comedies for so many years. Woody has always been good.
Well he was awesome in Mud, decent in Dallas buyers club and so far good in this show, but not sure this good year makes him a good actor.

For most of his career he has been Nic Cage bad and not just because of romantic comedies
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Well he was awesome in Mud, decent in Dallas buyers club and so far good in this show, but not sure this good year makes him a good actor.

For most of his career he has been Nic Cage bad and not just because of romantic comedies
Great in the small part he played in Wolf of Wallstreet and was brilliant in Killer Joe. He's without a doubt a level above Cage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #86
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

He was also good in The Lincoln Lawyer
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #87
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He has never been Nic Cage bad. I'd gladly watch some of those romantic comedies than some of the straight to video pure garbage that Cage did when he went bankrupt.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 days>>>>>Bangkok Dangerous or Next or Ghost Rider 2 or The Wicker Man or Sorcerer's Apprentice or Season of the Witch

I haven't seen this, but it made a whopping 16k at the box office!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/trespass_2011/
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #88
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The show itself is great, but I'm in love with the intro. Flawless production.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM   #89
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Anyone who's seen A Time To Kill should not be surprised at the acting ability of McConaughey
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 PM   #90
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it bad I thought he was great in Contact?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #91
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was excellent in Dazed and Confused too!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #92
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think the murder investigation acts as a narrative anchor and is therefore important. It's the pillar that the dive into these characters is wrapped around. If it was just another character story I don't think there would be enough meat on the bone.
Not sure I agree, at least so far. Best parts of the show have all been about who these two guys are.
Quote:
Even if your premise was correct and his only good projects were this year, your conclusion would still be wrong imo. One project goes well, maybe it's just good casting, but these are some pretty complex and disparate roles he's been knocking right out of the park. You simply cannot do that if you don't have the goods.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #93
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Not sure I agree, at least so far. Best parts of the show have all been about who these two guys are.
Ok, but what I'm saying is that if all it was was who they are it wouldn't be enough. You need that plotline to wrap the characters around.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #94
Zach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Speaking of Dallas Buyers Club....Matthew is a lock to win the Best Actor for it.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:31 AM   #95
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nic Cage used to be an excellent actor for what it's worth. His work in Leaving Las Vegas was excellent, as were a few movies in that period. Obviously he's become kind of a running joke, so he's sort of the inverse of Mcconaughey in a way. Cage is still capable of occasionally putting in great work though. He should have won best actor for Adaptation, and put in solid performances in movies like Lord of War, Matchstick Men, The Bad Lieutenant, and I thought Cage was the best part in Kick-Ass. Can't really explain way everything else he does, but he needs the money, and has probably bought into what the public expects from him (lousy, over the top performances). Oh and for whoever mentioned Trespass, stay away from it please! It was directed my Joel Shumacher, which should be all I need to say.

As for Mcconaughey I think he just hit an age where he knew he couldn't keep doing the same dumb romantic comedies. His looks and personality were only going to make him a star for so long, which is why he knew he needed to step up his game and evolve into a top actor many believed he was capable of 20 years ago. Good for him too, as he probably doesn't need the money anymore. I think he also got hitched only a few years ago, so that might have changed his life drastically.

Loving the show btw, and it's definitely a deep and involving show. You can't really turn away for a second, as you'll likely miss a key piece or interesting lines of dialogue. I think this is the type of show you'll go back to every couple years to put together some of the pieces you missed, or take in the thoughts of Hart and especially Rust's interesting beliefs. Not a show for everyone, but I like how unique it is, and doesn't need to go the procedural (lazy) route as many crime shows do. HBO shows are often more about the characters than the plot itself, and TD is no exception.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #96
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's also in Nolan's Interstellar this year too.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #97
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Speaking of Dallas Buyers Club....Matthew is a lock to win the Best Actor for it.
I don't know that it's a lock... Really, I think it should be Chiewetel Eijofor but I know there's no chance that happens. I initially thought Tom Hanks but somehow he didn't get nominated, which is weird, because Tom Hanks.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #98
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Hanks would have to be nominated first for him to win. He got the double snub actually, nothing for Captain Phillips or Saving Mr. Banks.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:44 AM   #99
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Nic Cage used to be an excellent actor for what it's worth. His work in Leaving Las Vegas was excellent, as were a few movies in that period. Obviously he's become kind of a running joke, so he's sort of the inverse of Mcconaughey in a way. Cage is still capable of occasionally putting in great work though. He should have won best actor for Adaptation, and put in solid performances in movies like Lord of War, Matchstick Men, The Bad Lieutenant, and I thought Cage was the best part in Kick-Ass. Can't really explain way everything else he does, but he needs the money, and has probably bought into what the public expects from him (lousy, over the top performances). Oh and for whoever mentioned Trespass, stay away from it please! It was directed my Joel Shumacher, which should be all I need to say.

As for Mcconaughey I think he just hit an age where he knew he couldn't keep doing the same dumb romantic comedies. His looks and personality were only going to make him a star for so long, which is why he knew he needed to step up his game and evolve into a top actor many believed he was capable of 20 years ago. Good for him too, as he probably doesn't need the money anymore. I think he also got hitched only a few years ago, so that might have changed his life drastically.

Loving the show btw, and it's definitely a deep and involving show. You can't really turn away for a second, as you'll likely miss a key piece or interesting lines of dialogue. I think this is the type of show you'll go back to every couple years to put together some of the pieces you missed, or take in the thoughts of Hart and especially Rust's interesting beliefs. Not a show for everyone, but I like how unique it is, and doesn't need to go the procedural (lazy) route as many crime shows do. HBO shows are often more about the characters than the plot itself, and TD is no exception.
Nicolas Cage's problem is that he is kind of schticky. It used to work, and then just got annoying. I liked Wild at Heart a lot at the time. And I thought he worked well with Sean Connery in the Rock. I still get sucked into that movie any time I notice on tv.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Nicolas Cage's problem is that he is kind of schticky. It used to work, and then just got annoying. I liked Wild at Heart a lot at the time. And I thought he worked well with Sean Connery in the Rock. I still get sucked into that movie any time I notice on tv.
Wild at Heart was great and he had some good stuff in the 80's like Raising Arizona.