Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #61
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of praise being heaped on the show. I had high expectations and im not so sure they are being met. Good acting, sure, but for an 8 episode program they are sure taking a lot of time with setup. If this was Dexter everyone would be ####ting on it.
Wonder if McConaughey smokes in real life?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
A lot of praise being heaped on the show. I had high expectations and im not so sure they are being met. Good acting, sure, but for an 8 episode program they are sure taking a lot of time with setup. If this was Dexter everyone would be ####ting on it.
Apples to oranges as Dexter is pure fiction and True Detective is based on a true story and I have a hunch there isn't going to be a Masuka type character in the story to add humour. I'm personally fine with the pace as we are really getting great detail of the characters involved.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-27-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #63
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What were you expecting? The show is delivering great acting and an interesting murder investigation mixed with the exploration of two pretty messed up characters.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #64
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Apples to oranges as Dexter is pure fiction and True Detective is based on a true story and I have a hunch there isn't going to be a Masuka type character in the story to add humour. I'm personally fine with the pace as we are really getting great detail of the characters involved.
Just because the show is called "True Detectives" does not mean it is a true story. There is nothing I can find that suggests that is the case.
As far as an "actual" Dexter comparison, you may have misunderstood me. When that show dragged on it was hammered mercilessly. I just think that this show has been pretty bland so far, good acting or not. I dont think the praise would be as high if it were a couple of no name actors working the scripts.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #65
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just because the show is called "True Detectives" does not mean it is a true story. There is nothing I can find that suggests that is the case.
As far as an "actual" Dexter comparison, you may have misunderstood me. When that show dragged on it was hammered mercilessly. I just think that this show has been pretty bland so far, good acting or not. I dont think the praise would be as high if it were a couple of no name actors working the scripts.

I find the murder mystery the least important part of the show. I just like the characters so much that I want to learn more about them. To be honest, I'd rather them not waste time with a whole bunch of police procedural crap and just let these guys act.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #66
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I find the murder mystery the least important part of the show. I just like the characters so much that I want to learn more about them. To be honest, I'd rather them not waste time with a whole bunch of police procedural crap and just let these guys act.
I think the murder investigation acts as a narrative anchor and is therefore important. It's the pillar that the dive into these characters is wrapped around. If it was just another character story I don't think there would be enough meat on the bone.

Plus I like a mystery and seeing, who I assume, was Reggie Ledoux at the end of yesterday's episode was creepy and awesome.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #67
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think its phenomenal so far.

The acting, the writing, the cinematography, and the overall character development are all top notch. An excellent "slow burn" so far.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #68
mhsyyc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I think its phenomenal so far.

The acting, the writing, the cinematography, and the overall character development are all top notch. An excellent "slow burn" so far.
I think the imperative word here is "slow". I made it through only the first 20 minutes before I nodded off. I've PVR'd the episodes to date but just can't force myself to go back there and pick it up in the 21st minute.
mhsyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhsyyc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #69
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like it's not for you then.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #70
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't mind a slow story, but True Detective has been mediocre at best.

Way to much of McConaghey rambling about stuff and not enough focus on these victims who are being brutally murdered. Also struggling to find a likeable character on the show, which isn't that big a deal given how realistic the show is, but I kind of keep flip flopping over which main character is more of a dick.

Great cinematography though and it's definitely too early to write it off, but i'm starting to think it's going to be one of those shows that is more enjoyable watching in a couple sittings rather than once a week.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #71
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that Woody's character is clearly more of a dick. McConaghey's is just anti-social and damaged. Harrelson's is an #######.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #72
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Great cinematography though and it's definitely too early to write it off, but i'm starting to think it's going to be one of those shows that is more enjoyable watching in a couple sittings rather than once a week.
I would say that's fair.

Of the people that would like the show, I bet a lot would only be able to watch it once the season is released, either on DVD/BluRay, or streaming online.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 PM   #73
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm getting used to the pace... BTW this is one of the best openings I've seen in a long time... It's like James Bond meets Gummo or something...

badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 06:01 AM   #74
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

It's different but I like it.

A poster above said that the murder investigation is merely a plot device and not the point of the story. I agree, I think the True investigation is of the characters, McConaghey's character at first, with a gradual shift into Woody's.

"We're starting to see who the real psychopath is" was a quote from another post about last episode. I agree. McConaghey's the one that knows what's really going on and it drove him to substance abuse multiple times.

True Detective seems to be a play on the character's investigating each other and the audience.

The Rosebud Killer (as I'll call him) is only relevant so there is a force driving the story forward.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #75
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great cliff hanger. Episode 4 won't air until February 9th.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #76
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would agree with others that this show is only OK so far.
rohara66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #77
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very good acting. Plot is great. There's some bit and pieces of info in that show that can lead you to think of a much bigger story. I'm not a spoiler guy so I won't go into detail about it. But it does have a Sin City feel to the story.

Best T.V Boobs I've seen in god knows how long. Just wow.

Makes me sad to know that this cast is only on for the season. Its almost spoiling us. But it is a great filler until GoT returns.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #78
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pretty good episode. Loved the awkward double date and Marty going off on his side piece's date. He's clearly losing it. The last shot at the end with the guy in the gas mask was really good. The music was so ominous. I think next episode will be really great when they go meet the gas mask guy.

Also Rust should have known Marty had a stance on lawns:

Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #79
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Matthew McConaughey has been in a lot of good shows lately. The guy can act. It makes you wonder why he wasted all his time doing romantic comedies for so many years. Woody has always been good.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #80
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Matthew McConaughey has been in a lot of good shows lately. The guy can act. It makes you wonder why he wasted all his time doing romantic comedies for so many years. Woody has always been good.